New Study Contradicts Religious Bias

PureX

Naw, I think using 1) the internet, and 2) a microcosm for a random sampling is bias. I "don't" think going all over a city and finding expectations fitting opposite facts is a 'lack of perception.' Simply, I think the study isn't sufficient to really give anything BUT confirmation bias. Why? Because a) it wasn't extensive enough for the sampling b) it wasn't as 'clear' over what was actually being measured, etc. etc. Shoddy work, is shoddy work BUT gives the opportunity to gripe, I suppose. I see the opposite, as I said, so there you go.
What is puzzling to me, is how hard you're working at dismissing it when the evidence is all around you. And IN you, even.

Let me ask you this: what do you see as being the negative effects of being religious? If an accurate study had been done, what do you believe it would find to be the negative characteristics of religiosity, regarding human interaction?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Do you think TOL is representative of the world?

:noid:

1934392403_What_You_Talkin_Bout_Willis_Picture_answer_3_xlarge.jpeg

As has been pointed out to you, redistribution of wealth and not punishing offenders are liberal ideals.

I'd like to correct what I believe is a misconception

religious and conservatives are not necessarily against the redistribution of wealth, they're against the forced redistribution of wealth by government

studies have shown that those who identify as conservative and religious give significantly more to charity than those who identify as liberal

PureX

What was unclear is if the study said anything about Christians and Muslims wanting 'maximum' and 'excessive' punishments or if that was just your language. Based on what I saw the study didn't talk about what types of punishment were to be used at all.
I used that language in reference to these characteristics as we find them here on TOL.
Do you think TOL is representative of the world?
No, but I do think it's representative of contemporary absolutist religiosity.
I put more general thoughts on the study in post 50, if you are interested. Here it is again:

For the part of the study about punishment, something I'm curious about is if answers would change if the children were answering about being harmed themselves instead of watching strangers. I'd like to think that if the Christian children were answering about that then they'd be more likely to give mercy. But when it's someone else? Some kind of punishment is understandable.
What you and others are ignoring is the difference between wanting to stop the abuse, and wanting to punish the abuser.

The religionists on this thread, and in the study, presumed that those who do not want to punish the abuser, did not care about stopping the abuse. It seems to be inconceivable to them that the abuse could be stopped by any other means, or for any other reason, than punishing the abuser. And because this is inconceivable to them, they just assumed the worst of the non-religious people here and in the study (just as the study asserted). And the exact same thing occurs on TOL all the time. For the religionist, punishment is presumed automatic. For the non-religionist, it is not.

Likewise, for the religionist, judgment is passed on the "abuser" automatically, as refraining from such judgment is inconceivable for them. Yet to the non-religious, refraining from judgment is much more commonplace. Yet again, because the religionists can't conceive of this possibility, they assume that the non-religious restraint must be a lack of empathy, when it's not.

These observations are what the study is pointing out. And the religionists, here and elsewhere, can't see it because they can't conceive of any other way of responding to the world except through judgment and punishment. Because that is the essence of their religiosity.
The part about altruism is disappointing. I mean, it's only stickers so I'm not sure how easily you can extrapolate that to more serious situations, but it's still something.
Yes.

It's not disappointing because it's kids and stickers. It's disappointing because we all know that when they grow up, it will be EVERYTHING ELSE that they won't want to share, not just some meaningless stickers.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
The religionists on this thread, and in the study, presume that those who do not want to punish the abuser, did not care about those being abused.

by all means, give the abuser a cookie

while we're at it, let's stop isis from burning people to death by listening to their troubles and patting them on the back

Huckleberry

What is puzzling to me, is how hard you're working at dismissing it when the evidence is all around you. And IN you, even.

Let me ask you this: what do you see as being the negative effects of being religious? If an accurate study had been done, what do you believe it would find to be the negative characteristics of religiosity, regarding human interaction?
Well, at least you admit the study was not accurate. Yet, you're still pointing to the self evident to support the conclusions of the bogus study.

Do you really not see how prejudicial and bigoted you're being? You just know religious people are unkind and want to be mean to everyone. And even if the study was bogus...well, they're conclusions are still accurate. It's self evident, just look around, you say. Look within yourself, you say.

Well, I say look at yourself, Purex. You're the one being a prejudicial bigot here.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
Are you reading the journal article, or this?
When one says, “Religiousness predicts parent-reported child sensitivity to
injustices and empathy” we have an opinion, and when the research measures altruism, which is not well defined, then the findings are apt to reveal discrepancies between ideas/ concepts of judging and so called altruism. Take the work of Richard Dawkins, “ The Selfish Gene” as an example of altruism, reciprocal altruism, in the case of altruism as self enhancing, where it is considered a behaviour to increase a more positive personal outcome for oneself. Any judgement would be tempered by what may bring the best outcome for oneself. We would assume that any judgement would possibly run the risk of decreasing personal advantage, while the judgement itself would be congruent with the religious attitude, while not to the appeasement of the majority. In essence, the greatest appeasement would come when one has no judgement and therefore has no negative effect on oneself.

We are also looking at religious attitude, not spiritual awareness, as Pate makes his stance in nearly every thread he starts, yet we all know religion is not spirituality and to belabour the issue is only necessary when we examine those who assume religion is the measure of being spiritually enlightened.

Surly the authors are motivated by this basic confusion; they consider religion to be the measure of all spiritual persons, yet, like most secular academics, miss this important difference. They also take the measure of altruism as more than what it is, a means to appease others for the sake of oneself, thus being morally neutral is bound to be the least resistive, where no judgements are voiced and no condemnations are given. This is to say the morally natural are bound to increase their chances of receiving the least judgements form others, including these researchers.

brewmama

Religions encourage judgmentalism and retribution. Religious parents tend to be obsessed with obedience and therefor likewise obsessed with punishing disobedience. Five minutes on TOL will provide AMPLE evidence of this. Even this thread is a shining example of it. And if religious parents behave this way, it's only natural that their kids will behave this way as well. Which is what this study is pointing out.

So no one is falling into any bias, here. They're simply stating what is easily observable to anyone with eyes. Religionists think they are kind and merciful toward others, because of their religion. When in fact, they tend to be less kind and less merciful toward others because of their religion. And the reason is because religions stress obedience as a means of influence and control. They tend to become authoritarian above all else. Adherence to their rules becomes their most important condition. Not mercy, or forgiveness, nor kindness toward others.

You are a riot! You think secularists and atheists are less judgmental and less into retribution?? Just look at what's happening with political correctness! What happens when you dare to question the AGW dogma! Or, God forbid, become the Republican frontrunner! Oh you guys have your own religion alright, much much more judgmental than Christianity! The sad part is how you can't even see it.

You ignore all the valid criticisms of your little study, and simply go by your own prejudices to validate your own feelings of superiority.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You are a riot! You think secularists and atheists are less judgmental and less into retribution?? Just look at what's happening with political correctness! What happens when you dare to question the AGW dogma! Or, God forbid, become the Republican frontrunner! Oh you guys have your own religion alright, much much more judgmental than Christianity! The sad part is how you can't even see it.

You ignore all the valid criticisms of your little study, and simply go by your own prejudices to validate your own feelings of superiority.

You are part of them for taking their ideology so serious. This makes you a half-breed, a cross between the secular and what remains free of it. Essentially, you are caught up in the same existential nihilism and metaphysical solipsism as all those who are willing to submit and surrender their own minds for the sake of baseless self-sacrifice.

To be free, you need to be rational, and to accomplish this one need to to be able to freely discriminate the material world from the rootless idealism of Utopian delusions. We naturally live by our prejudices and habits, which makes possible, human action.

Utopian delusions deny your human individualism. To deny yourself is to fail to offer to God any substantial being-ness worthy of his creation.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
You are part of them for taking their ideology so serious. This makes you a half-breed, a cross between the secular and what remains free of it. Essentially, you are caught up in the same existential nihilism and metaphysical solipsism as all those who are willing to submit and surrender their own minds for the sake of baseless self-sacrifice.

To be free, you need to be rational, and to accomplish this one need to to be able to freely discriminate the material world from the rootless idealism of Utopian delusions. We naturally live by our prejudices and habits, which makes possible, human action.

Utopian delusions deny your human individualism. To deny yourself is to fail to offer to God any substantial being-ness worthy of his creation.

an academic educatoid could not say it any better

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Where have you been? Anna is not a Conservative.
But, I AM!
Good.

It depends on the issue for me. I have been called both a liberal and a conservative at different times.

I think the “You’re an elite and I am a victim” dynamic comes from an old American dichotomy between the innocent country bumpkin and the clever city slicker.

The dichotomy came about when the largely rural character of America began to become more industrial. The same conflict is played out in the Cain and Abel myth. One brother had livestock and the other brother was basically a farmer who tended his crops.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Sadly, my guess would be that they are, themselves, the victims of mean-spirited religious authoritarians. It's a well known phenomenon that children who experience abuse from their parents and teachers tend to grow up to be abusive parents and teachers. And when all this is being justified by "God"; I suspect it's all the more so.
I think you are right on.

We tend to treat others in ways that we ourselves have been treated.
Parenthood is all about realizing this and asking forgiveness for ourselves and our own parents.

Only then can we stop the cycles that keep us in bad behavior and passing that along to our children.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
No. To be kind is to care about others. Allowing them to be harmed is neither caring nor kind.
Mercy doesn't protect anyone. The law should not be merciful.
It appears to be what you claim they believe and teach. Anyone can make claims in accordance with their prejudice.

Jesus preached a God who “desired mercy, not sacrifice.”

Protecting children from harm does not mean being abusive to them.

When a child runs out into the street, many parents grab the child and hit them several times and say things like “You are bad.”

What does the child pick up after hearing this? That they are bad and deserve to be hit.

Other parents remove their child from danger, kneel down and hug them and look into their eyes and say:

“I was really, really scared when I saw you run into the street. I am afraid because if a car would hit you, it might cause you to be badly hurt or even die.”

Hitting a child or yelling at them “to be kind” only makes problems.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
“I’m punitive because I’m kind. I want bad behavior punished...Can morality exist objectively if there is no God--the question [that] they do not follow.” ~ Dennis Prager Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10, Nu 35:31

See:

God and the Death Penalty by Bob Enyart

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
“I’m punitive because I’m kind. I want bad behavior punished...Can morality exist objectively if there is no God--the question [that] they do not follow.” ~ Dennis Prager Eccl 10:2, Jn 10:10, Nu 35:31

See:

God and the Death Penalty by Bob Enyart
Punishing bad behavior does not work. Otherwise, with all the war that has been fought should have resulted in world peace.

As for morality, even atheists raise up children with good values.

The idea of a jealous, punishing God comes from attributing forces in the universe to a capricious higher being. But God’s creation has always been operating through the eternal and unchanging laws of physics. There is a divine consistency in nature. What is true now was true then.

Death and natural cataclysms happen. The primitive mind has always attributed misfortune to punishment by God or attributed fortune to God as well.