New Study Contradicts Religious Bias

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
You can take shots at me all day, but until you provide counter evidence to the study is it nothing but hot air. :rolleyes:
Again, the expected denial. Such information that merely legitimizes the common sense truth that kids learn behavior from their upbringing comes too close to home for you, doesn’t it?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
You can take shots at me all day, but until you provide counter evidence to the study is it nothing but hot air. :rolleyes:

No one is shooting you. You have chosen to play the helpless victim.

You seem to be the kind of person who can always blame things on others’ “hot air.”

What prevents you from being accountable?

Quetzal

No one is shooting you. You have chosen to play the helpless victim.

You seem to be the kind of person who can always blame things on others’ “hot air.”

What prevents you from being accountable?
Yeah, none of this is related to the OP, so if you would be so kind...

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Yeah, none of this is related to the OP, so if you would be so kind...
”Religious Bias” is the phrase included in the OP. I am sorry you do not see the connection. I have to think it is your limited imagination or lack of critical thinking skills.

Something we ALL suffer from.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
The question I raise is “Why should this be a surprise?”

I continually worry about the little children who are the innocent ones of the parents who enjoy spewing bile and condemnation of others on TOL.

This research just proves my point and makes me doubly sad.

Don’t these TOL predators know anything about the consequences of their ignorant and immature behavior?

Most of them had their broods long ago and ingrained the same negative traits, it's a terrible tragedy.

gcthomas

well, yeah, actually, they do

if they wanted to be taken seriously

if they just want to create an appealing headline that will sell advertising, then no, probably not

The researchers did allow for the differences between countries, so that objection does not stand. The full analysis of covariance (ANCOVA) included the country, and therefore the culture, as covariants, and it was religiosity that stood out as the main (inverse) factor in the altruism displayed by the children.

Given your very strict blame/punishment OT attitude you should support the results for consistency.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
You've raised humblebragging to a level I hadn't thought possible.

Why do so many conservatives like to play the victim when encountering academic research that deals in the scientific method to present facts, evidence and real-life data?

I know what I know and I stand up for myself and my opinions and thinking.

If you accuse me of false humility and bragging, then show me how you choose to believe in this? Tell ME how YOU would pass along information and not indicate bragging or humility?

bybee

Why do so many conservatives like to play the victim when encountering academic research that deals in the scientific method to present facts, evidence and real-life data?

I know what I know and I stand up for myself and my opinions and thinking.

If you accuse me of false humility and bragging, then show me how you choose to believe in this? Tell ME how YOU would pass along information and not indicate bragging or humility?

Where have you been? Anna is not a Conservative.
But, I AM!

Son of Jack

So, I read the article and (most of) the study, and the thing that stood out to me was the researchers' conception of judgmental attitude and altruism.

From the article:

The study also found that “religiosity affects children’s punitive tendencies”. Children from religious households “frequently appear to be more judgmental of others’ actions”, it said.

Muslim children judged “interpersonal harm as more mean” than children from Christian families, with non-religious children the least judgmental. Muslim children demanded harsher punishment than those from Christian or non-religious homes.

It makes sense to me that people from religious homes would see behavior that causes "interpersonal harm" as unkind. It makes sense to judge it that way. They are thinking consistently along the lines of their particular worldview. For example, a Christian child sees one child push another without reason or cause, which would be a violation of the law of love ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"). It makes sense that they would see it as a violation and not shrug it off as no big deal.

Moreover, it makes sense that they would want to see some sort of justice done to the one who offended another kid. While they aren't showing empathy toward the kid doing the pushing, it would seem that they are being empathetic toward the child who has been treated poorly.

So, are we saying that it's a bad thing that religious children get upset when they see injustice and call it injustice? How is that not empathetic?

It seems to me that altruism is being defined as sharing your stickers and looking the other way when others are being pushed and shoved.

PureX

The question I raise is “Why should this be a surprise?”

I continually worry about the little children who are the innocent ones of the parents who enjoy spewing bile and condemnation of others on TOL.

This research just proves my point and makes me doubly sad.

Don’t these TOL predators know anything about the consequences of their ignorant and immature behavior?
Sadly, my guess would be that they are, themselves, the victims of mean-spirited religious authoritarians. It's a well known phenomenon that children who experience abuse from their parents and teachers tend to grow up to be abusive parents and teachers. And when all this is being justified by "God"; I suspect it's all the more so.

PureX

Where have you been? Anna is not a Conservative.
But, I AM!
I don't see this study as being about "conservatives". I think it's just about what it says: uncovering evidence that strongly suggests that religiosity does not make people behave kindly, as most religionists seem to imagine, but in fact tends to make people behave less kindly toward others. And that this behavior shows up in their children.

PureX

It makes sense to me that people from religious homes would see behavior that causes "interpersonal harm" as unkind. It makes sense to judge it that way. They are thinking consistently along the lines of their particular worldview. For example, a Christian child sees one child push another without reason or cause, which would be a violation of the law of love ("Do unto others as you would have them do unto you"). It makes sense that they would see it as a violation and not shrug it off as no big deal.

Moreover, it makes sense that they would want to see some sort of justice done to the one who offended another kid. While they aren't showing empathy toward the kid doing the pushing, it would seem that they are being empathetic toward the child who has been treated poorly.

So, are we saying that it's a bad thing that religious children get upset when they see injustice and call it injustice? How is that not empathetic?
Empathy is not what the study was referring to, however. It was referring to religion increasing the children's desire to see the "offender" punished, or punished more severely, for their offense. The study was specifically referring to an increased punitive desire in children of religious parents. And further, the study found that the longer they'd been exposed to the religiosity, the more pronounced was this tendency.

The study was not claiming that non-religious children were less empathetic, which seems to be what you're trying to imply, here. And which is something the writers of the study noticed about religious people in general: that they tend to believe and assert that their religion makes them kinder than non-religious people. Just as you seem to be exemplifying by your post.
It seems to me that altruism is being defined as sharing your stickers and looking the other way when others are being pushed and shoved.
And sadly, that is exactly the bias that the study was referring to among the religious: exemplified by your assumption that the non-religious children "looked the other way when others were being pushed and shoved".

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond

Huckleberry

Empathy is not what the study was referring to, however. It was referring to religion increasing the children's desire to see the "offender" punished, or punished more severely, for their offense. The study was specifically referring to an increased punitive desire in children of religious parents. And further, the study found that the longer they'd been exposed to the religiosity, the more pronounced was this tendency.

The study was not claiming that non-religious children were less empathetic, which seems to be what you're trying to imply, here. And which is something the writers of the study noticed about religious people in general: that they tend to believe and assert that their religion makes them kinder than non-religious people. Just as you seem to be exemplifying by your post.
Do you see a contradiction between being kind and a desire to punish bad behavior?