Nicer than God!

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by lighthouse

Do you mean the kind of love that tells them that what they are doing is an abomination? The love that tells them God abhors them and what they do? The love that tells them there is freedom? The love that tells them God can change you, if you let Him. The love that tells them God wants to change them? You are a faggot, Clete. [going by Jefferson's definition].

Huh? :confused:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

Who delivered Christ to Pilate? Was it Judas, or Satan?

Yes!

The text indicates Judas, but I think Satan can be safely inferred as an accomplice.

Why do you ask?

Duder

Over 750 post club
The response from the Christians is also quite understandable because of the pervasive amount of near total ignorance in the church today. The vast majority of Christians know very little more than, "I deserve hell but am saved by Grace through faith in Jesus Christ." Acknowledgement of this is very simple idea is the very first step in a Christians walk with the Lord and most never progress very far past this. American Christians in particular, are very lazy and want everything spoon fed and just simply aren't willing to do the work involved in understand what it means to rest in the finished work of Jesus Christ. Christianity is very simple but it not easy. There were of course obvious exceptions and they know who they are, but for the most part the Christians here have proven to be very disappointingly typical.

The unfavorable reaction from Christians that your more outrageous statements have occasioned is fitting and proper. And I do not expect, as you do, that they would be more warmly received abroad. American Christianity is, on the mean, more literalist and more intolerant that anywhere - and if Reverand Enyart's proposals about executing gays won't fly here, I assure you it won't fly anywhere.

The response from the Christians is also quite understandable because of the pervasive amount of near total ignorance in the church today.

When a person falls under the spell of a guru, preacher, holy man, prophet, or seer, and receives all of his self-esteem from that person - he devotes himself fully and enthusiastically to the message he has heard. To him, the universe's deepest secrets are laid out plain and indisputable from the hand of the great guru - or in this case, from the hand of Rev. Enyart. And the true believer cannot comprehend why everyone does not get it. How could so many be so totally ignorent of such an obviously-true message? It's the classic "everyone is wrong except for us misunderstood, chosen few" and it is the malady described in Eric Hoffer's classic study of fanaticism, The True Believer.

"A harsh style is difficult for more sensitive Christians to appreciate. However the biblical approach to communicating with the world includes not only compassion, but harshness as well."

The gospel of Jesus Christ is foolishness, but it does not follow that all foolishness is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In exactly the same way, if Christianity is sometimes harsh, it does not follow that all harshness is Christian. People may have other reasons for objecting to your message than a simple, blanket denial of everything harsh.

I was pretty harsh with you, and accusatory, and I used some very strong and graphic language against your points of view. Yet not one poster told me to tone it down, take it easy, or back off because I was being too harsh. As you observed,
"God uses different methods to communicate the Gospel to people at different depths of depravity,
and my harshness was aimed at the depth of your depravity. Conversely, several posters expressed a distaste for your opinions, and some of them are not known for being goody-two-shoes types. The difference? - the contrast in the content of the two respective messages.

So what is it they find objectionable in your message?

God considers the following things to be capital crimes (this will not be a complete list and is in no particular order).
Homosexuality
Child Molestation
Bestiality
Incest
Adultery
Murder
Kidnapping
I will not debate here the merits of capitol punishment. I'm open to arguments from both sides. The problem is the ease and frequency with which you would apply it. You are right - your list is only partial. if you base it on Mosaic law then you will also have to kill

1) disobedient children,

2) non-virginal brides, and

3) those who suggest joining a different religion.

The other problem is that you are interested not only in killing these people, but in doing so painfully. I believe the methods you most favored were drawing and quartering, and stoning. So removing the offenders from society is not your sole aim. You want them to suffer. There is a word for your desire - sadism.

If you get your way, you are going to have to kill most of the people in America. This will be a police state the likes of which the world has never seen. And a huge and efficient industry of death will have to be built that will make Hitler's concrentration camps look like mere essays in the craft. What would it take to make you see that the legal ideas written down for the benefit of a proto-civilization of the ancient near-east which was in its moral infancy is little more than a museum curiosity for modern Western society?

When punishment does not fit the crime, respect for law dies.

And finally, I would just like to say to those of you who decided it was appropriate to slander both me and Bob Enyart, I do not forgive you nor will I unless you repent. I will relish the opportunity to add to the testimony given against you on the day of judgment.
Give us a break from this juvenile nonsense. I think you are a grown man, but you want to run to teacher and tattle. Will you also chant 'narny-narny boo-boo' and stick out your tongue? Grow up.

Last edited:

Chileice

Originally posted by Duder

The unfavorable reaction from Christians that your more outrageous statements have occasioned is fitting and proper. And I do not expect, as you do, that they would be more warmly received abroad. American Christianity is, on the mean, more literalist and more intolerant that anywhere - and if Reverand Enyart's proposals about executing gays won't fly here, I assure you it won't fly anywhere.
Having lived in different countries and traveled quite a bit, I guarantee you are right, Duder. It is part of the sickness of American Christianity. It is tied to American politics and American concerns rather than Kingdom concerns. Enyart would fly like a lead balloon.

When a person falls under the spell of a guru, preacher, holy man, prophet, or seer, and receives all of his self-esteem from that person - he devotes himself fully and enthusiastically to the message he has heard. To him, the universe's deepest secrets are laid out plain and indisputable from the hand of the great guru - or in this case, from the hand of Rev. Enyart. And the true believer cannot comprehend why everyone does not get it. How could so many be so totally ignorent of such an obviously-true message? It's the classic "everyone is wrong except for us misunderstood, chosen few" and it is the malady described in Eric Hoffer's classic study of fanaticism, The True Believer.
Again your point is so right on. This is classic cult behaviour. Those in the cult believe they have some special truth no one else has, some truth worth killing and dying for. They quote their leader extensively and always lean on him for final authority. So many cults have begun in just the same way.

The gospel of Jesus Christ is foolishness, but it does not follow that all foolishness is the Gospel of Jesus Christ. In exactly the same way, if Christianity is sometimes harsh, it does not follow that all harshness is Christian. People may have other reasons for objecting to your message than a simple, blanket denial of everything harsh.
This is quote of the day. Yes, the Gospel will not be understood by all, frankly because of its simplicity. If one reads I Corinthians 1 and 2 (the context from which that idea comes) Paul is saying that people seek the Gospel to be something complez and it is so simple people miss it. So it may seem like foolishness. But our foolishness can´t be passed off as Gospel. We can't blame Jesus for every time someone doesn't agree with one of our idiotic ideas.

I was pretty harsh with you, and accusatory, and I used some very strong and graphic language against your points of view. Yet not one poster told me to tone it down, take it easy, or back off because I was being too harsh. As you observed,
and my harshness was aimed at the depth of your depravity. Conversely, several posters expressed a distaste for your opinions, and some of them are not known for being goody-two-shoes types. The difference? - the contrast in the content of the two respective messages.

So what is it they find objectionable in your message?
I tried not to be harsh but that fell on deaf ears as well. Being a Christian I was pained by this thread. But I do hope non-Christians saw by the reaction of most of the rest of the Christians that Clete is from another planet and does not represent us as followers of Jesus.

I will not debate here the merits of capitol punishment. I'm open to arguments from both sides. The problem is the ease and frequency with which you would apply it. You are right - your list is only partial. if you base it on Mosaic law then you will also have to kill

1) disobedient children,

The other problem is that you are interested not only in killing these people, but in doing so painfully. I believe the methods you most favored were drawing and quartering, and stoning. So removing the offenders from society is not your sole aim. You want them to suffer. There is a word for your desire - sadism.
One of Clete's great problems, other than sadism as you aptly point out, is that he wants to be a 14th century B.C. Jew. He wants to maintain all the OT law and does not want to read it through the life and sacrifice of Jesus Christ. Judaism itself changed through the years of the writings of the OT. Jesus came to free us from the chains of the law and to understand the spirit of it rather than the letter.

If you get your way, you are going to have to kill most of the people in America. This will be a police state the likes of which the world has never seen. And a huge and efficient industry of death will have to be built that will make Hitler's concrentration camps look like mere essays in the craft. What would it take to make you see that the legal ideas written down for the benefit of a proto-civilization of the ancient near-east which was in its moral infancy is little more than a museum curiosity for modern Western society?

As harsh as what you wrote sounds, I believe you are right. And that last line is sooo true. When we make laws that can't be applied or must be applied at the peril of the destruction of the society, there is no rule of law.

Give us a break from this juvenile nonsense. I think you are a grown man, but you want to run to teacher and tattle. Will you also chant 'narny-narny boo-boo' and stick out your tongue? Grow up.
I think he could grow up if he could WAKE UP! I wasn't going to write anymore on this thread but your post was great. Thanks.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

The unfavorable reaction from Christians that your more outrageous statements have occasioned is fitting and proper.
This is laughable! Do you think I care what you think is a proper response from Christians? You're not even a Christian, how would you know anyway?

And I do not expect, as you do, that they would be more warmly received abroad. American Christianity is, on the mean, more literalist and more intolerant that anywhere - and if Reverend Enyart's proposals about executing gays won't fly here, I assure you it won't fly anywhere.
I do not expect that a just legal system would be welcome most anywhere on the planet. If it were, it would be a rare exception to the rule. What makes you think that I believe people in other countries or any less evil than they are here?
I would say, however, that your appraisal of American Christianity is quite inaccurate. Christians in this country, for most part, don't give a crap what anybody else does as long as they can continue to show up on Sunday morning for their weekly spiritual entertainment. The average American Christian is far more liberal than Christians in say Africa or China for example. The fact that most American Christians are beside themselves with glee that George Bush is our President is proof enough of that.

When a person falls under the spell of a guru, preacher, holy man, prophet, or seer, and receives all of his self-esteem from that person - he devotes himself fully and enthusiastically to the message he has heard. To him, the universe's deepest secrets are laid out plain and indisputable from the hand of the great guru - or in this case, from the hand of Rev. Enyart. And the true believer cannot comprehend why everyone does not get it. How could so many be so totally ignorant of such an obviously-true message? It's the classic "everyone is wrong except for us misunderstood, chosen few" and it is the malady described in Eric Hoffer's classic study of fanaticism, The True Believer.
:darwinsm:
Bob Enyart would sooner punch me in the mouth than allow me to consider him a guru! And I would invite wild dogs to eat me alive before giving my allegiance to any man other than the Lord Jesus Christ who created me and died to save my very soul.
You are truly delusional. It is unfortunate that this straw man tactic will no doubt convince many here who are inclined to be nice to perverts.

No kidding. I never said that the only reason people rejecting "my message" was because I was harsh. In fact quite the reverse. It is precisely because I'm harsh that "my message" will be paid more attention to by those who need to here it. Nicety, nice Christians are not only ignored by unbelievers but by other Christians as well for the most part. Even if they pretend to listen for a time, they aren't being told anything that would require them to change anything about what they are doing in any great or painful way so its easy to let it go in one hear and out the other. Like I said, Christians give intellectual accent to truths easily. It is only when they see truth applied that they get all upset.

and my harshness was aimed at the depth of your depravity.
You are unbelievably naive and stupid. They didn't get upset, because you were saying something they agreed with, that's all.
All you've done here is restated what I did in my previous post...
"I also find it interesting that many Christians have a big problem with me for harshly attacking a criminal, but have no problem at all with harshly attacking me for have done so."
All you've done is give testimony against yourself, proving your hypocrisy.

Conversely, several posters expressed a distaste for your opinions, and some of them are not known for being goody-two-shoes types. The difference? - the contrast in the content of the two respective messages.
Yeah, exactly! They disagreed with my message and agreed with yours. Big mystery there, I'll tell ya! :rolleyes:

I will not debate here the merits of capitol punishment. I'm open to arguments from both sides. The problem is the ease and frequency with which you would apply it.
Actually, the death penalty in a nation with a just legal system would be rare and shocking, but I don't expect that you will be able to think it through clearly enough to figure out why.

You are right - your list is only partial. if you base it on Mosaic law then you will also have to kill

1) disobedient children,
:chuckle: You are truly laughably predictable!
I suspect that you know that stating it in this way makes God look arbitrary and unjust and that it somehow succeeds in making me squirm in embarrassment or something but you wrong. God has a complete criminal justice system in the Bible (not just the Old Testament by the way) and when administered as instructed in the Bible it is just and good to execute whom ever it says to execute. I make no apologies for God.

This is a good one! I forgot about it! Thanks!

Actually, this one would no longer be in effect, as the Nation of Israel has been cut off and conjoined with the Gentiles in unbelief. Laws that had only to do specifically with Israel no longer have any meaning.

The other problem is that you are interested not only in killing these people, but in doing so painfully. ....So removing the offenders from society is not your sole aim. You want them to suffer.
Oh yes, absolutely! And publicly as well. Compelling television stations to cover the execution live, would most likely be the law of the land. The more painful and public the execution, the better the deterrent.

I believe the methods you most favored were drawing and quartering, and stoning.
Actually, I don't really care about the method so much. The family of the victim can be as quick and painless and they want. How quick and painless would you be if I raped and murdered you daughter?
The only limitation is outright prolonged torture. There will be plenty of that in the lake of fire after all.

There is a word for your desire - sadism.
The word you’re looking for is "Justice". Call me, and by extension God, a sadist all you want. You'll find out what the wrath of God means soon enough. I for one, find it satisfying to watch you heap judgment up like a prized commodity. Don't worry; God will pay you for it in full.

If you get your way, you are going to have to kill most of the people in America. This will be a police state the likes of which the world has never seen. And a huge and efficient industry of death will have to be built that will make Hitler's concentration camps look like mere essays in the craft.
What are you talking about! No one is saying that we should start rounding people up. Perhaps you are assuming something that isn't the case. Let me clarify.
One cannot justly pass a law and then enforce that law retroactively. One would have to start from scratch and say in effect, "From this day forward, if one is caught in the act of (fill in the blank) you shall surely be put to death."
The exception to this would be people who have been already convicted of capital crimes but who were not put to death. Those individuals should be executed immediately. So, for example, all those who are serving time for child molestation would be executed within the first few days after a just government was put into place as would the murders and rapists etc.

What would it take to make you see that the legal ideas written down for the benefit of a proto-civilization of the ancient near-east which was in its moral infancy is little more than a museum curiosity for modern Western society?
If God wrote another book stating such a thing, that would be sufficient. Until then, I doubt that you could even present any real evidence that any such laws existed in a civilization that was anything but extremely complex and in no way could accurately be considered a "proto-civilization". Archeological evidence shows that by Moses' time, civilizations were every bit as legally complex as ours is today.

PRECISELY RIGHT!
Ezekiel 13:19 "And will you profane Me among My people..., killing people who should not die, and keeping people alive who should not live...?"

Again, laughably predictable coming from you. You think, I'm teasing you, or simply trying to get under your skin or annoy you or something like that. I assure you that I am not. You will give an account to God for every idle word you speak (or write). (Although, I do admit that annoying you is a pleasant side effect that I would not want to mitigate.)
Most Christians just fall all over themselves forgiving sin after sin against them whether it is repented of or not. I however do not make such mistakes. If you wish to repent, then I am ready and would be happy to forgive, but not before that. Until such time as repentance is in evidence, you are guilty and I will hold you to that guilt until such time as justice can be satisfied. You think that life is some game being played out in a third grade playground! Well, I'll tell you what. I promise that if given the opportunity to do so, I will point my finger and laugh in your face as God throws your filthy pervert soul into hell. You can have that image in your mind for the rest of eternity.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Originally posted by Chileice
Jesus came to free us from the chains of the law and to understand the spirit of it rather than the letter.

In this one sentence you just wiped out every bit a crediblity you had with me!
Statements like this make me want to vomit! You don't have a fat clue what you are even saying! You insult God with such mindless statements! Your obvious ignorance is the only thing that mitigates your insult to the living Spirit of God! I serioulsy suggest keeping you mouth shut on this particular topic until you have a better idea of what you are talking about.
Here, I'll give you a hint...

The is no such thing as "the spirit" of the law!

Now, go figure it out.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Duder

Over 750 post club
I will point my finger and laugh in your face as God throws your filthy pervert soul into hell.

This kind of honesty is rare indeed. Generally such a wish is harbored in the darkest recesses of the heart, but you confess it freely. There is hope for you yet.

Duder

Over 750 post club

It turns out that Jesus felt otherwise.
"Master, which is the great commandment in the law?"

Jesus said unto him, "Thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul ans with all thy mind. This is first and great commandment. And the second is like unto it - thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. On these two commandments hang all the law and the prophets."

Chileice

Originally posted by Clete Pfeiffer

In this one sentence you just wiped out every bit a crediblity you had with me!
Statements like this make me want to vomit! You don't have a fat clue what you are even saying! You insult God with such mindless statements! Your obvious ignorance is the only thing that mitigates your insult to the living Spirit of God! I serioulsy suggest keeping you mouth shut on this particular topic until you have a better idea of what you are talking about.
Here, I'll give you a hint...

Now, go figure it out.

Resting in Him,
Clete

You may disagree with me and you have every right to do so. You have NO right to call me ignorant of the scriptures. I will put them out here for the world to judge. Therefore, the words of scripture will be the judge of your mean-spirited and misleading comments:
Originally posted by Paul of Tarsus
Romans 7:
4 So, my brothers, you also died to the law through the body of Christ, that you might belong to another, to him who was raised from the dead, in order that we might bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were controlled by the sinful nature, the sinful passions aroused by the law were at work in our bodies, so that we bore fruit for death. 6 But now, by dying to what once bound us, we have been released from the law so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit, and not in the old way of the written code.

I believe there IS a Spirit of the law that supercedes the written code or do you have some convoluted way of reading into scripture something else?

How about Romans 8:
1 Therefore, there is now no condemnation for those who are in Christ Jesus, 2 because through Christ Jesus the law of the Spirit of life set me free from the law of sin and death. 3 For what the law was powerless to do in that it was weakened by the sinful nature, God did by sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful man to be a sin offering. And so he condemned sin in sinful man, 4 in order that the righteous requirements of the law might be fully met in us, who do not live according to the sinful nature but according to the Spirit.

Maybe you would like to read Galatians 3:
2 I would like to learn just one thing from you: Did you receive the Spirit by observing the law, or by believing what you heard? 3 Are you so foolish? After beginning with the Spirit, are you now trying to attain your goal by human effort? 4 Have you suffered so much for nothing--if it really was for nothing? 5 Does God give you his Spirit and work miracles among you because you observe the law, or because you believe what you heard?

Are you living by the Spirit or by the written letter of the law? Paul was asking the question, not me. But it applies equally to you. Maybe you would like to join Leo Volont and claim that Paul was a heretic. If you think he was a heretic, so be it. But if you claim the Bible as your standard, then don't call me ignorant.

And does it get any plainer than this, Clete:
2 Corinthians 3
6 Who also hath made us able ministers of the new testament; not of the letter, but of the spirit: for the letter killeth, but the spirit giveth life.

Don't tell me there is not spirit or no Spirit. The law is MEANINGLESS without the Spirit to guide us in the spirit of that law. I know nothing about your intellectual capacities. I know mine. I am a bright well read individual who has read the Bible through several times. I may be wrong, but I am not ignorant. I will let others be the judge and let God, ultimately be the judge. But to try to attack my character because you disagree is base and highly demeaning for a forum like this.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Chileice,

Your ignorance is glaring and does in fact (although unintentionally I'm sure) insult the Spirit which you speak of.
The Law is the alternative to God (the Spirit). The Law and the Spirit and not the same thing. Paul does not say anything about the Spirit "of the law". He is drawing a distinction between "the Spirit" and “the Law". He is not saying that we should follow the spirit of the law, he is saying that we should follow the Spirit rather than the Law.
You insult the Spirit in about a dozen different ways when you equate Him with a inferior Law which could never produce righteousness.
It is not your education I question; it is your understanding of what it means to live by the Spirit. It is simply not possible that you could understand it and make the statements you've made on this thread.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Resting in Him,
Clete

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
To laugh at someone as they go to hell is self-centered. If we are Christ centered it will break our hearts. And in paradise we will be Christ centered, if we are His children beforehand. However, if we are not His [whether or not we claim it] we will be in hell ourselves. And Clete, you are very self centered.

PureX

The Path is indeed a narrow one ...

The Path is indeed a narrow one ...

To some people God is love. To other people God is law - specifically religious law. The Pharasees knew and obeyed all the religious laws - they were real sticklers about that. Yet they could not recognize Christ even as he stood right in front of them, and in fact they could only think to stamp Christ out of existence. They couldn't recognize Christ because Christ was not a law, and was not about laws. Christ was God's love and forgiveness, taken human form and expressed through human behavior, standing right there in front of them. But to them, God was not love, and God was not forgiving, and God was not human, so they couldn't see God even as he stood right there before them.

It's still this way for many, today. They go to churches and they study their bibles and they think God is a religion of laws and rules and dogmatic beliefs. And when Christ comes and stands right in front of them, in the human form of love and forgiveness, they can only think to stamp it out, because love and forgiveness is not what their god or their religion is about. Their God is all about dogmas and rules. And there is no love or forgiveness in it ... or in them.

Lovejoy

I have to admit that there are days that doctrine wins out over decency. But I fear letting the human heart rule over the Word of God, and for the same reasons you fear the reverse. Humans are not a trustworthy bunch. So I let what I consider the revealed Word of God make my creed. However, I still test all my decisions with my heart and the Spirit.

You and I will agree, though, that some (Lord, I pray not me) use the letter of the law to get out of compassion and forgiveness. Or decency.

PureX

Originally posted by Lovejoy I have to admit that there are days that doctrine wins out over decency. But I fear letting the human heart rule over the Word of God, and for the same reasons you fear the reverse. Humans are not a trustworthy bunch. So I let what I consider the revealed Word of God make my creed. However, I still test all my decisions with my heart and the Spirit.

You and I will agree, though, that some (Lord, I pray not me) use the letter of the law to get out of compassion and forgiveness. Or decency.
But it's humans who interpret the bible, anyway. So the existence of the book does nothing to protect us from our own evil. The Pharasees knew the scriptures better than anyone of their time, yet they could not see God at all, and they became the enemy of Christ. Today religionists think that their religions will protect them from themselves, when in fact their religions have only given them license to imagine themselves to be righteous when they are not - just like the Pharasees.

In the end we all have to trust in the spirit and wisdom of God to guide us. But for that to happen, we are really going to have to trust in it. But trust in what? What is that spirit? Is it a bunch of religious books? Or is it God's love acting within us, and through us?

I think it's love. I think God's spirit is love. Not religion, and not a bunch of religious books.

Lovejoy

Originally posted by PureX

But it's humans who interpret the bible, anyway. So the existence of the book does nothing to protect us from our own evil. The Pharasees knew the scriptures better than anyone of their time, yet they could not see God at all, and they became the enemy of Christ. Today religionists think that their religions will protect them from themselves, when in fact their religions have only given them license to imagine themselves to be righteous when they are not - just like the Pharasees.

In the end we all have to trust in the spirit and wisdom of God to guide us. But for that to happen, we are really going to have to trust in it. But trust in what? What is that spirit? Is it a bunch of religious books? Or is it God's love acting within us, and through us?

I think it's love. I think God's spirit is love. Not religion, and not a bunch of religious books.

How can I argue with that? By saying that I feel "led" to believe in the Word and in Holy Scripture? That won't get us far. However, if love leads us to the same place, I guess it's cool. I don't want to be liberated from doctrine as much as I do hate and immorality. My one true love is Jesus, and I will do anything, even be slave to doctrine, if that is where I am led. However, He has never led me there. He always leads me back to Him.

PureX

Originally posted by Lovejoy

How can I argue with that? By saying that I feel "led" to believe in the Word and in Holy Scripture? That won't get us far. However, if love leads us to the same place, I guess it's cool. I don't want to be liberated from doctrine as much as I do hate and immorality. My one true love is Jesus, and I will do anything, even be slave to doctrine, if that is where I am led. However, He has never led me there. He always leads me back to Him.
I guess I would try to think of "Jesus" as you, or whoever happens to be in front of me at the moment. For me, "Jesus" is just a character in a story in a book, unless that character can come alive in the world I live in. The bible wouldn't mean a thing to me beyond entertaining fiction unless the story becomes OUR story - playing out here and now. And I really do believe this is the true value and power of the bible. I do see myself in "Pilot", in "Thomas", in "Mary", even in "Jesus" in some ways. And I see those characters in the people around me, too. This is how the bible comes to have value and meaning to me beyond entertainment.

I'm just not inclined to religion, I guess. It feels suffocating to me. It seems to be all about fantasy and magic, rather than the flesh and bone and love and fear that i negotiate every day.

Lovejoy

I guess I would try to think of "Jesus" as you, or whoever happens to be in front of me at the moment. For me, "Jesus" is just a character in a story in a book, unless that character can come alive in the world I live in. The bible wouldn't mean a thing to me beyond entertaining fiction unless the story becomes OUR story - playing out here and now. And I really do believe this is the true value and power of the bible. I do see myself in "Pilot", in "Thomas", in "Mary", even in "Jesus" in some ways. And I see those characters in the people around me, too. This is how the bible comes to have value and meaning to me beyond entertainment.

I'm just not inclined to religion, I guess. It feels suffocating to me. It seems to be all about fantasy and magic, rather than the flesh and bone and love and fear that i negotiate every day.

I tend to find liberation in the Word. But I have to negotiate it in the Spirit, and sometimes that takes time. I am a fleshy being, no doubt.

As to religion, I am becoming one of those obnoxious critters who will not use the word. It is a relationship (me worshipping Him, He changing me to make me a better worshipper), or it is nothing.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Re: The Path is indeed a narrow one ...

Re: The Path is indeed a narrow one ...

To some people God is love. To other people God is law - specifically religious law.
Which is He to you?
The Pharasees knew and obeyed all the religious laws - they were real sticklers about that.
This is a lie! I suspect an intentional one at that.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luk 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.
Notice Jesus chastisement for having over looked BOTH judgment and love!

Yet they could not recognize Christ even as he stood right in front of them, and in fact they could only think to stamp Christ out of existence. They couldn't recognize Christ because Christ was not a law, and was not about laws.
Wrong again moose breath!

Mat 5:18 For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled. 19 Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach [them], the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven.

Mat 19:16 And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? 17 And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? [there is] none good but one, [that is], God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments.

Mat 23:2 Saying, The scribes and the Pharisees sit in Moses' seat: 3 All therefore whatsoever they bid you observe, [that] observe and do; but do not ye after their works: for they say, and do not.

Mat 23:23 Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier [matters] of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Luk 9:62 And Jesus said unto him, No man, having put his hand to the plough, and looking back, is fit for the kingdom of God.

Luk 11:42 But woe unto you, Pharisees! for ye tithe mint and rue and all manner of herbs, and pass over judgment and the love of God: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.

Further, the words law, ordinance, Moses, commandment and command occur some 157 times in the four Gospels. The entire theme of the gospel message is "Repent (obey the Law), for the kingdom of God is at hand".

Christ was God's love and forgiveness, taken human form and expressed through human behavior, standing right there in front of them.
Not to them He wasn't! Oh yeah you say that next...
But to them, God was not love, and God was not forgiving, and God was not human, so they couldn't see God even as he stood right there before them.
The "God was not human" part of this statement is somewhat idiotic but otherwise you got this right! God was not forgiving because they were evil and unrepentant. Sort of like you!

It's still this way for many, today. They go to churches and they study their bibles and they think God is a religion of laws and rules and dogmatic beliefs. And when Christ comes and stands right in front of them, in the human form of love and forgiveness, they can only think to stamp it out, because love and forgiveness is not what their god or their religion is about. Their God is all about dogmas and rules. And there is no love or forgiveness in it ... or in them.
How would you know this? When was the last time you went to a church and spent enough time and energy to learn anything about the people who were there and what they believe and think about who God is and what He's about?
You and others like you on this thread who do not even believe that Jesus is God, or are in any way Christian in belief or in practice have a lot of gall lecturing me or anyone else about how I should act and what I should believe as a Christian! And those on this thread who appose me and are Christian should take note that some extremely evil people who are not saved or are in any way Christian are saying basically the same thing that you are. And if that isn't enough to convince you that I am right (which I'm sure it won't be) it should at least be enough to cause you to sit back and ask what exactly is it that is different about what my preacher says every Sunday and what wacko idiot atheists say everyday on this web site.
And I'm not referring to simply the basic beliefs of the faith because of course that is different but rather what difference does it make in what you think of as being right and wrong! The plain facts are that the world and those in it are evil and God and those in Him are not (or should not be). But if what the world says is pretty much exactly what we as Christians are saying then what good are we?
Mat 5:13 Ye are the salt of the earth: but if the salt have lost his savour, wherewith shall it be salted? it is thenceforth good for nothing, but to be cast out, and to be trodden under foot of men.
Rom 12:2 And be not conformed to this world: but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind, that ye may prove what [is] that good, and acceptable, and perfect, will of God.

If you think I'm being unreasonable then reread PureX's post and see if you can detect much that would be out of place in your church. Would he be able to say this from the pulpit at your church and not even raise an eye brow? I venture to guess that some of you will have to say yes to that question. If I hadn’t pointed out the flaws in his thinking, would you have been able to detect them? Would you have bothered to even think it through this thoroughly or would you have just gone ahead and agreed with it because it sounded nice and you don’t like what I’m saying anyway? Don’t be such a cow! Being led by the nose, or following in mindless herd like fashion, is beneath a child of the living God! Stand up and be counted for something, and quit worrying about whose feelings you’re going to hurt! Just find out what is right and have the guts to do it! If someone gets upset and rejects you in favor of hell then so be it! It is not your job to save people! That is God’s job. Your job is to do rightly. You do your job and let God worry about His. God is way more concerned about what He is doing in you than what He is doing through you, and so should you be.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Last edited:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber

To laugh at someone as they go to hell is self-centered. If we are Christ centered it will break our hearts. And in paradise we will be Christ centered, if we are His children beforehand. However, if we are not His [whether or not we claim it] we will be in hell ourselves. And Clete, you are very self centered.

Mocking the wicked is a good thing to do Brandon, especially when they are thumbing their nose at God and proclaiming themselves honorary homos.
Why would you want to take the side of such a perverted and evil person anyway? Even if I am completely wrong, where is the profit in allowing such a person to think that he has a leg to stand on with you?
You have successfully taken yourself right out of the game my friend! Now, no one cares what you have to say on either side! Duder obviously doesn't give a rat's big behind what Christians think and you are fighting against a Christian! On this one, you are now effectively a man without a country! Which, by the way, brilliantly illustrates the point I've been trying to make throughout this entire thread! Christians are rendered irrelevant when they tolerate that which is evil. Satan can take a vacation when good people do and say nothing, or worse, take his side!

Resting in Him,
Clete