ECT NOTABLE HERETICS THROUGHOUT CHRISTIAN HISTORY HAVE BASED HERESIES ON SOLA SCRIPTURA

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What doctrinal authority did Luther and Calvin possess to impose their interpretive preferences on the Church that, say, Arius, Pelagius, and Sabellius did not?

You keep asking this and I wonder "why?" If you have some point to make, then please do so rather than expect me to read your mind.

AMR

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
"What doctrinal authority did Luther and Calvin possess to impose their interpretive preferences on the Church that, say, Arius, Pelagius, and Sabellius did not?"

Assuming you accept Christ's teachings as doctrine, then they had Christ's authority to question Marian doctrines, indulgences, purgatory, Popes to name some of the more obvious non Christ based doctrines.

Cruciform

You keep asking this and I wonder "why?" If you have some point to make, then please do so rather than expect me to read your mind.
I'm simply requesting your answer to the question from a Reformed Protestant perspective. Once I have your information, then I can proceed.
"What doctrinal authority did Luther and Calvin possess to impose their interpretive preferences on the Church that, say, Arius, Pelagius, and Sabellius did not?"

Cruciform

Assuming you accept Christ's teachings as doctrine, then they had Christ's authority to question Marian doctrines, indulgences, purgatory, Popes to name some of the more obvious non Christ based doctrines.
Is it your claim that the fallible theological opinions of Luther and Calvin are identical in authority with the infallible authoritative teachings of Jesus Christ?

Cruciform

As soon as a Roman Catholic argues from Scripture he denies the need for an infallible magisterium.
Your logical error here is a fundamental one, since Catholics may certainly appeal to Scripture as AN authority without buying into the entirely unbiblical---and therefore directly self-refuting---16th-century Protestant assumption that Scripture is the ONLY authority. So much for your above claim.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Is it your claim that the fallible theological opinions of Luther and Calvin are identical in authority with the infallible authoritative teachings of Jesus Christ?

Just show us where Jesus taught any of the things I mentioned. If you can, then I am wrong. If you cannot, then you are wrong.

Cruciform

Just show us where Jesus taught any of the things I mentioned. If you can, then I am wrong. If you cannot, then you are wrong.
Again:
"Is it your claim that the fallible theological opinions of Luther and Calvin are identical in authority with the infallible authoritative teachings of Jesus Christ?"

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
What about the fallible theological opinions of Ignatias he was first to elevate the episcopacy to same authority as Christ...the bishop must be obeyed.

Ignatias is the founder of Catholicism

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Again:
"Is it your claim that the fallible theological opinions of Luther and Calvin are identical in authority with the infallible authoritative teachings of Jesus Christ?"

Note that I am not claims anything regarding Calcin or Luther. I asked you a specific question about Roman doctrine and wha Christ taught. Will you answer that question?

Cruciform

Note that I am not claims anything regarding Calcin or Luther. I asked you a specific question about Roman doctrine and wha Christ taught. Will you answer that question?
No, I won't, since you asked your question in reply to my Post #80, which has nothing whatsoever to do with your question, which is therefore off-topic.

Cruciform

What about the fallible theological opinions of Ignatias he was first to elevate the episcopacy to same authority as Christ...the bishop must be obeyed. Ignatias is the founder of Catholicism
I've personally refuted you on this at least four times on this forum, and other Catholics have answered you as well. Don't even bother. :yawn:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I'm simply requesting your answer to the question from a Reformed Protestant perspective. Once I have your information, then I can proceed.
Good gravy, who declared you master of ceremonies? Is this a game show or something? If you are trying to make a point then make it. I have no idea what your oddly phrased question even means. Unpack it a wee bit or something to explain the use of heretics and non-heretics in the same breadth along with two distinct historical responses. I have no patience to try and tease out whatever your agenda is with all this coyness. It is juvenile.

AMR

Cruciform

Good gravy, who declared you master of ceremonies? Is this a game show or something? If you are trying to make a point then make it. I have no idea what your oddly phrased question even means. Unpack it a wee bit or something to explain the use of heretics and non-heretics in the same breadth along with two distinct historical responses. I have no patience to try and tease out whatever your agenda is with all this coyness. It is juvenile.
It's clear from your defensiveness and avoidance that you're more than a little afraid to actually answer the question posed to you. Now you complain that you don't understand the question. Fine, I'll humor you...

• Many individuals throughout Christian history have presumed to replace the formally established and authoritatively binding doctrines of Christ's one historic Church with their own interpretive preferences and theological opinions. Examples of such individuals would include Arius, Pelagius, Sabellius, Nestorius, Apollinarius, Giordano Bruno, Martin Luther, Huldrych Zwingli, and John Calvin.
  • Protestants agree with Catholics that Arius, Pelagius, Sabellius, Nestorius, Apollinarius, and Bruno were all formal heretics who had departed from the established and authoritative teachings of Christ's one historic Church.
  • Now note that the very same historic Christian Church ALSO formally condemned Luther, Zwingli, and Calvin as heretics of the identical sort as Arius, Pelagius, and the rest. Yet, Protestants---who accept the Church's decree regarding the heretical character of the theological opinions of Arius, Pelagius, Sabellius, Nestorius, Apollinarius, and Bruno---simultaneously reject the same Church's identical decree with respect to the doctrinal opinions of Luther, Zwingli, and Calvin.
  • In light of these facts, I repeat my question:
"What doctrinal authority did Luther, Zwingli, and Calvin possess to impose their interpretive preferences on the Church that, say, Arius, Pelagius, and Sabellius did not?"

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
No, I won't, since you asked your question in reply to my Post #80, which has nothing whatsoever to do with your question, which is therefore off-topic.

Since you have no answer for my question the obvious conclusion is that your doctrine was not taught be Christ.

CabinetMaker

Hall of Fame
Straw Man Fallacy. Back to Post #94.

What straw man? I asked you to show where Jesus taught the Matian doctrines and indulgences and you couldn't do it. How is it a straw man on my part that you can't support your doctrines based on what Jesus actually taught?