O'Reilly is changing my mind RE "free" college...

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
it has to do with freedom. College is not for everyone.
Absolutely. But it should be affordable for anyone with the aptitude and interest. It's a win if and when it is. Else, trade schools are golden and good wages can follow from them.

Therefore, everyone should not have to pay for it.
Rather, it's in everyone's interests to have available and affordable education so we all kick in a little, as we do for roads even if we aren't going to drive. And there will be a number of benefits associated with those roads and education directly and indirectly impacting our quality of life.

And again, it is also about government (redundancy alert) incompetence. Remember the scandal at the VA? I rest my case vis a vis government incompetence.
That doesn't make a case, except for the need for and value of a good education.

but anyway, the worst consequence is that the loony tunes who run government will influence the colleges to be... "
Supra.

We have gone far enough down the road of the government "helping people"
Arguably not, once you consider who the government is in our Republic.

Christian Liberty

Arguably not, once you consider who the government is in our Republic.

Social contract theory is absurd, based on things that are objectively false. The government is a group of people. They can either engage in their God-given role of wielding the sword of justice, or they can act outside of that role. In the latter case they are no different than other humans, and that which would be sinful for other men is sinful for them to. Taking money and redistrubuting it is not part of the ministry of wielding the sword of steel.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Social contract theory is absurd, based on things that are objectively false. The government is a group of people. They can either engage in their God-given role of wielding the sword of justice, or they can act outside of that role. In the latter case they are no different than other humans, and that which would be sinful for other men is sinful for them to. Taking money and redistrubuting it is not part of the ministry of wielding the sword of steel.

God-given role? I thought the divine right of kings ended at democracy's doorstep?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The correlative isn't being white, per se, it's having money. Kids who's parents have money will almost certainly finish high school. Kids who's parents are poor, regardless of color, are more likely not to finish high school.

No high school, no job. No job, no money. No money … welfare or criminal behavior to survive. In our culture everything is about the money.

So how to break the cycle of poor kids not getting educated and becoming criminals? First, lets make a good education available to them. Then let's incentivize them to take advantage of it. Maybe we could provide some of the perks that the wealthy kids get for staying in school and getting good grades. Then we could encourage employers to seek out disadvantaged kids who worked hard and stayed in school and good good grades, for employment. After all, they've shown themselves to be smart, tough, and motivated.

Some kids will still drop out. Some will still quit college. Some will still end up in jail no matter what we do. But just blaming them and doing nothing only makes a bad situation worse.

What perks do you mean?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

it has to do with freedom. College is not for everyone. Therefore, everyone should not have to pay for it. And again, it is also about government (redundancy alert) incompetence. Remember the scandal at the VA? I rest my case vis a vis government incompetence.

Except the gov't isn't proposing to run the schools, only provide assistance with the costs.

but anyway, the worst consequence is that the loony tunes who run government will influence the colleges to be... as loony tunes as they are... ie: teach that legalized abortion is a woman's "right" whereas the child has no right to live even though the Constitution (not taught anymore) says we have the "right to life, liberty..."
How will they influence the colleges to do that?

jgarden

BANNED
Banned

assuming all this is true (and I do NOT since a lib cited it)

the reason why Canada is apparently doing better than the US is... ONE reason:

Obama is not in charge there

+++
The GOOD NEWS is that Canada has already adopted most of the policies that President Obama is advocating (gun control, public healthcare, paid maternal leave, stricter regulation of banks, legalized gay marriage, etc)

The BAD NEWS is that with Republican majorities in the House and the Senate few of these ideas will ever be put into practice!

jgarden

BANNED
Banned
How did they quantify the "more adventurous in bed" part?
Given that the average Canadian is healthier, works less and lives approximately 3 years longer than his/her American counterpart, they need to find diversions, especially during those long winter months, to prevent "cabin fever!"

kmoney

Hall of Fame
ha ha ha... what a "joke"

r u serious?

Golden Rule: whoever has the gold makes the rules
:idunno: There are some requirements being put on the schools but I don't see it leading to the gov't deciding curriculum.

see above

also might want to watch something besides Beverly Hillbillies re-runs...

___
But they are so funny. :noid:

Does anyone know exactly how this proposal would work? Do the students pay upfront and then get reimbursed if they meet the requirements? Or is it free from the start but they have to pay if they don't meet the requirements?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
Parents with money often reward their kids for getting good grades. Why couldn't we reward poor kids for getting good grades in the same way?

So the gov't would give money to kids who do well in school?

PureX

So the gov't would give money to kids who do well in school?
The government is going to foot the bill for kids living in poverty one way or another. At home, on the street, in prison, or in school. But since so much of education is for the purpose of commercial exploitation, why can't businesses foot the bill for some of it? Why can't Apple make some specially designed pop gizmos to be given to poor kids who stayed in school and got good grades … as a reward? Why can't Nike design and give out some special shoes? So that when the other kids see this, they see a very real reward for real positive actions. Maybe staying in school would become a little more "hip" when kids see the immediate rewards of it. And their friends can see it, too.

We need to quit whining about money in this country. We have made everything about money, and our lives are going to crap because of it. It's not all about money. It's about raising kids out of the cycle of poverty and crime. And that's going to mean doing for them some of the same things we do for wealthy kids. And that will take not just money, but time and effort and the willingness on our part to do whatever is necessary.

resodko

BANNED
Banned
How did they quantify the "more adventurous in bed" part?

it involves tuques, chainsaws, the french language (learned by non-francophones up through the last year of secondary school and quickly forgotten), marmots and flying squirrels

i'd have rocky tell you more, but we'd probably both get banned

450_rocky.jpg

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Parents with money often reward their kids for getting good grades. Why couldn't we reward poor kids for getting good grades in the same way?

I know a lot of poor kids struggling to stay in college. "Not being poor anymore" seems to be a pretty good reward for them, even if they have to suffer a little to get it. What I'm worried about, is that some of them, including some pretty smart people, just can't do it, for a variety of reasons.

And we're wasting human potential at a time when we need to be more competitive than ever.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
I know a lot of poor kids struggling to stay in college. "Not being poor anymore" seems to be a pretty good reward for them, even if they have to suffer a little to get it. What I'm worried about, is that some of them, including some pretty smart people, just can't do it, for a variety of reasons.

And we're wasting human potential at a time when we need to be more competitive than ever.

plus
the longer you keep them in school
the more likely they will vote for democrats

resodko

BANNED
Banned
plus
the longer you keep them in school
the more likely they will vote for democrats

i must be the exception that proves the rule :idunno:

one bachelors degree in science

one masters degree in science

one masters in education

and

currently enrolled as a freshman, on a track that i plan to take to a phd :banana: