Poll question: True or false?

Poll question: True or false?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

popsthebuilder

Someone here? Who?
Not what I meant. I generally do not imply things but tend to confront them head on. That's just me though. To be perfectly honest I wouldn't point the finger at anyone though. However to say that walking in Faith goes along with walking in sin seems incorrect to me.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
So you're saying that following the direction given to an individual by God is effortless?
No one has said that crucifying the flesh is easy but it doesn't come by effort, it comes by faith! This is what Romans 7 is all about...

Romans 7:1 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.​

Notice please that verse six does not refer to the spirit of the law but the Spirit - capital S - of GOD!!!

This has always been the choice that humans have faced from Adam himself! It has always been a choice between the law vs God. The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was the first manifestation of the law and we are still dealing with Adam's choice to this day!

The end of Romans 7 answers your question directly...

Romans 7:21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.​

That's kinda like saying being lazy is righteous to me and really makes no sense to me. If it took no effort than all would do it and none would be in sin. As opposed to people trying to manipulate the word into saying that sin is righteous.
No one is saying any such thing!

But don't you find it interesting that Paul was accused of saying the very same thing?

We started in Romans 7 lets go now to Romans 5 & 6!

Romans 5: 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.
20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, 21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

6 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not!
How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? 17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. 18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.

20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.​

That's looks like a lot but please read it through! It is the bible discussing the exact same thing we are talking about here!

Resting in Him,
Clete

popsthebuilder

No one has said that crucifying the flesh is easy but it doesn't come by effort, it comes by faith! This is what Romans 7 is all about...

Romans 7:1 Or do you not know, brethren (for I speak to those who know the law), that the law has dominion over a man as long as he lives? 2 For the woman who has a husband is bound by the law to her husband as long as he lives. But if the husband dies, she is released from the law of her husband. 3 So then if, while her husband lives, she marries another man, she will be called an adulteress; but if her husband dies, she is free from that law, so that she is no adulteress, though she has married another man. 4 Therefore, my brethren, you also have become dead to the law through the body of Christ, that you may be married to another—to Him who was raised from the dead, that we should bear fruit to God. 5 For when we were in the flesh, the sinful passions which were aroused by the law were at work in our members to bear fruit to death. 6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.​

Notice please that verse six does not refer to the spirit of the law but the Spirit - capital S - of GOD!!!

This has always been the choice that humans have faced from Adam himself! It has always been a choice between the law vs God. The Tree of the Knowledge of Good and Evil was the first manifestation of the law and we are still dealing with Adam's choice to this day!

The end of Romans 7 answers your question directly...

Romans 7:21 I find then a law, that evil is present with me, the one who wills to do good. 22 For I delight in the law of God according to the inward man. 23 But I see another law in my members, warring against the law of my mind, and bringing me into captivity to the law of sin which is in my members. 24 O wretched man that I am! Who will deliver me from this body of death? 25 I thank God—through Jesus Christ our Lord!

So then, with the mind I myself serve the law of God, but with the flesh the law of sin.​

No one is saying any such thing!

But don't you find it interesting that Paul was accused of saying the very same thing?

We started in Romans 7 lets go now to Romans 5 & 6!

Romans 5: 19 For as by one man’s disobedience many were made sinners, so also by one Man’s obedience many will be made righteous.
20 Moreover the law entered that the offense might abound. But where sin abounded, grace abounded much more, 21 so that as sin reigned in death, even so grace might reign through righteousness to eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.

6 What shall we say then? Shall we continue in sin that grace may abound? 2 Certainly not!
How shall we who died to sin live any longer in it? 3 Or do you not know that as many of us as were baptized into Christ Jesus were baptized into His death? 4 Therefore we were buried with Him through baptism into death, that just as Christ was raised from the dead by the glory of the Father, even so we also should walk in newness of life.

5 For if we have been united together in the likeness of His death, certainly we also shall be in the likeness of His resurrection, 6 knowing this, that our old man was crucified with Him, that the body of sin might be done away with, that we should no longer be slaves of sin. 7 For he who has died has been freed from sin. 8 Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him, 9 knowing that Christ, having been raised from the dead, dies no more. Death no longer has dominion over Him. 10 For the death that He died, He died to sin once for all; but the life that He lives, He lives to God. 11 Likewise you also, reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.

12 Therefore do not let sin reign in your mortal body, that you should obey it in its lusts. 13 And do not present your members as instruments of unrighteousness to sin, but present yourselves to God as being alive from the dead, and your members as instruments of righteousness to God. 14 For sin shall not have dominion over you, for you are not under law but under grace.

15 What then? Shall we sin because we are not under law but under grace? Certainly not! 16 Do you not know that to whom you present yourselves slaves to obey, you are that one’s slaves whom you obey, whether of sin leading to death, or of obedience leading to righteousness? 17 But God be thanked that though you were slaves of sin, yet you obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine to which you were delivered. 18 And having been set free from sin, you became slaves of righteousness. 19 I speak in human terms because of the weakness of your flesh. For just as you presented your members as slaves of uncleanness, and of lawlessness leading to more lawlessness, so now present your members as slaves of righteousness for holiness.

20 For when you were slaves of sin, you were free in regard to righteousness. 21 What fruit did you have then in the things of which you are now ashamed? For the end of those things is death. 22 But now having been set free from sin, and having become slaves of God, you have your fruit to holiness, and the end, everlasting life. 23 For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord.​

That's looks like a lot but please read it through! It is the bible discussing the exact same thing we are talking about here!

Resting in Him,
Clete
And I agree with it completely. It repeatedly states that if we are born again in Christ that we won't sin.

turbosixx

You have no idea how amazing a question this is!

The typical response you would get by virtually any Christian whether lay person or pastor would be to hold to one of those passages as it reads and explain how the other doesn't mean what it seems to say.

If you asked a Baptist, for example, you get an answer that affirmed Paul as meaning what it sound like it means while James wasn't talking about getting saved but what happens when your are saved or something along those lines.

If you asked a member of the Church of Christ you'd get the opposite. They tend to ignore Paul almost entirely and focus on the teachings of Jesus in the synoptic gospels and the New Testament books written by anyone other than Paul. They particularly like the book of James and immediately, and accurately, point out that James was talking about what it takes to be saved.

It is interesting to point out here that this debate, a debate that we might label "Law vs. Grace" is by no means the only debate that falls along these same lines. In fact, there are lots and lots of them! Can you lose your salvation? Should we observe the Sabbath? Is water baptism necessary for salvation? Must we confess our sins, as believers, in order for them to be forgiven or are they already forgiven? Is it wrong to eat certain foods? Do physical miracles happen on a regular basis? Will the church have to endure the Tribulation? Etc, etc, etc. There's dozens of them!

Every one of those debates has people on both sides and both sides do with each of these issues the very same thing as I've described with your Paul vs James passages. They take their respective proof texts to mean what they say and they explain away their problem texts.

What if I told you that there was a SINGLE teaching in the Bible that clears up every one of these debates and leaves you with NO PROBLEM TEXTS?

I know, I know! All you want is for me to answer the question you asked, right? Fair enough, here's my answer.

I make no attempt to reconcile them at all! They teach opposite things and they both mean precisely what they say without any need for interpretation or qualification. Any third grader could read either passage and tell you off the top of his head what they mean and he'd get it right.

To explain that statement is quite a task but not because its complicated, in fact its quite simple really. The difficulty is that the explanation presents one with a paradigm shift the likes of which almost no one is willing to make if the issue is approached too quickly. Any significant paradigm shift has to be approached a step at a time so that the whole journey can be seen and understood as the destination is approached. Typically, if I were to just blurt it out, right or wrong, you'd instinctively reject it out of hand.

Be that as it may, I understand that this forum does not lend itself well to long drawn out explanations of whole doctrinal systems regardless of how compelling those explanations might be. I'm therefore going to give you a single verse of scripture to consider. This single passage wraps up the whole teaching in a nutshell. If your interest is piqued then I can offer you all kinds of detailed biblical substantiation of a doctrinal system that allows you, with one teaching, to unravel dozens of long standing doctrinal debates while at the same time allowing you to read the bible, the whole bible, and not have you eyes glaze over because your mind is trying to figure out how it all fits together. You'll be able to just read it and it will just make sense. What stronger argument for a systematic theology can there be?

Okay, here's the verse...

Galatians 2:9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

Thanks for your input. I don’t see the need to pick Paul or James. I see the two in complete agreement when taken in context. As for your verse, I’m not sure how it solves the “apparent” problem. I will listen if you care to explain

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Thanks for your input. I don’t see the need to pick Paul or James. I see the two in complete agreement when taken in context.

Please explain it to me. Show me how the two are in complete agreement.

As for your verse, I’m not sure how it solves the “apparent” problem. I will listen if you care to explain
Like I said, its a paradigm level issue. There are whole books written on the topic. I don't want to go too fast so just bear with me and we'll get there.

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
And I agree with it completely. It repeatedly states that if we are born again in Christ that we won't sin.

Where does it say that? Didn't Paul explicitly state the opposite?

Romans 7: 14 For we know that the law is spiritual, but I am carnal, sold under sin. 15 For what I am doing, I do not understand. For what I will to do, that I do not practice; but what I hate, that I do. 16 If, then, I do what I will not to do, I agree with the law that it is good. 17 But now, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me. 18 For I know that in me (that is, in my flesh) nothing good dwells; for to will is present with me, but how to perform what is good I do not find. 19 For the good that I will to do, I do not do; but the evil I will not to do, that I practice. 20 Now if I do what I will not to do, it is no longer I who do it, but sin that dwells in me.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

turbosixx

Please explain it to me. Show me how the two are in complete agreement.
Clete

Rom. 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,

If we look at the context leading up to and after this statement, we will have a better understanding of Paul’s point.

I see agreement because Paul and James are talking about different works. James is talking about good works and Paul is talking about a specific set of works. When he says works “of the law” he is talking about the law of Moses. Paul was facing a problem of former Jews wanting to keep the law of Moses but the law of Moses had no provision for the forgiveness of sins.

Paul first shows them even with the law they were no better than the Gentiles.
Rom. 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law
Rom. 2:17 Indeed you are called a Jew, and rest on the law and make your boast in God
Rom. 3:9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.
Rom. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. 29 Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also,

To prove that they could be justified apart from the law and apart from circumcision he gives them an example they know very well, Abraham.
Rom. 4:9 Does this blessedness then come upon the circumcised only, or upon the uncircumcised also? For we say that faith was accounted to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How then was it accounted? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised.

He then tells them they have been released from the law.
Rom. 7:6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Paul tells the Galatians that they can’t follow the law and Christ.
Gal. 5:3 And I testify again to every man who becomes that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

By the works of the law of Moses no one is justified.
Acts 13:38 Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through this Man is preached to you the forgiveness of sins; 39 and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.

turbosixx

1 Jn. 1:8 If we say that we have no sin, we deceive ourselves, and the truth is not in us. 9 If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness. 10 If we say that we have not sinned, we make Him a liar, and His word is not in us.

musterion

RECEPTION AND RESISTANCE - September 16, 2015

"For he that is entered into his rest, he also hath ceased from his own works" (Hebrews 4:10).

Besides the rest of reception, there is also the rest of resistance. Any time there is effort involved in the matter of resisting sin, we can be sure that we are depending to some extent upon the flesh, instead of resting in the finished work of the Cross.

"The question is 'How are we to meet sin?' 'Reckon yourselves dead unto sin.' The moment that you begin to fight with it no matter how resolutely you may struggle against it that moment you begin to experience sin as your master. For it is then that we forsake our true position, which is one of freedom from sin as a master.

"Let it be remembered we are to fight 'the good fight of faith,' which consists of resting in our position of freedom, and not in obtaining that position. We are to fight not for it, but from it. He alone has obtained it. It is our Father's free gift. Let us be fully abiding in the One who is Life, and sin when it acts, will find us dead to it." -E.H.

"Calvary is the secret of it all. It is what the Lord Jesus did there that counts, and what He did becomes a growing force in the life of the believer when it is seen, and rested in by faith. This is the starting point from which all godly living must take rise. We shall never know the fact of the Lord Jesus' victory in our lives until we are prepared to count upon His work on the Cross as the source of our personal freedom from the dominion of sin and the old man within. There is no liberty for us that was not first His. The beginning of spiritual growth is faith in that fact."

"Stand fast, therefore, in the liberty with which Christ hath made us free" (Galatians 5:1).

http://www.pembrokebiblechapel.com/stanforddevo.php

elohiym

That says the "work of God".

Yes, it does. Read it in context.

…28 Therefore they said to Him, "What shall we do, so that we may work the works of God?" 29Jesus answered and said to them, "This is the work of God, that you believe in Him whom He has sent."

Believing is proof of our being persuaded by HIS word. In other words, there is no work you can do because you can only believe.

Believing is work (Jn 6:29). The context proves my point.

When I see the rain, I believe it's raining. I'm persuaded to believe it's raining by my wet hair, my wet clothes, and all the mud puddles that are forming at my feet.

Okay, but that's irrelevant to my points.

elohiym

I disagree....Bright Raven is not being obtuse. You are, however.

You both are being obtuse, and now you're being obnoxious, too.

Read this verse very carefully...or take it to your local elementary school and have one of the teachers explain it to you. ;)

Romans 4:5
But to him that worketh not, but believeth on him that justifieth the ungodly, his faith is counted for righteousness.

Not the works I'm talking about. Clearly I was referring to the work of believing that Jesus described in John 6:29.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
That says the "work of God". He, by His word does the persuading. Believing is proof of our being persuaded by HIS word. In other words, there is no work you can do because you can only believe.

When I see the rain, I believe it's raining. I'm persuaded to believe it's raining by my wet hair, my wet clothes, and all the mud puddles that are forming at my feet.

Amen sister. He even produces the works.

Ephesians 2:10 For we are His workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand so that we would walk in them.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I am completely clean and sinless thanks to our Lords works.

Positionally.

Your condition is not yet so perfect.

Philippians 3:7 But what things were gain to me, these I have counted loss for Christ. 8 Yet indeed I also count all things loss for the excellence of the knowledge of Christ Jesus my Lord, for whom I have suffered the loss of all things, and count them as rubbish, that I may gain Christ 9 and be found in Him, not having my own righteousness, which is from the law, but that which is through faith in Christ, the righteousness which is from God by faith; 10 that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection, and the fellowship of His sufferings, being conformed to His death, 11 if, by any means, I may attain to the resurrection from the dead.

12 Not that I have already attained, or am already perfected; but I press on, that I may lay hold of that for which Christ Jesus has also laid hold of me. 13 Brethren, I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead, 14 I press toward the goal for the prize of the upward call of God in Christ Jesus.​

Resting in Him,
Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Rom. 4:5 But to the one who does not work, but believes in Him who justifies the ungodly, his faith is credited as righteousness,

If we look at the context leading up to and after this statement, we will have a better understanding of Paul’s point.

I see agreement because Paul and James are talking about different works. James is talking about good works and Paul is talking about a specific set of works. When he says works “of the law” he is talking about the law of Moses. Paul was facing a problem of former Jews wanting to keep the law of Moses but the law of Moses had no provision for the forgiveness of sins.

Paul first shows them even with the law they were no better than the Gentiles.
Rom. 2:12 For as many as have sinned without law will also perish without law, and as many as have sinned in the law will be judged by the law
Rom. 2:17 Indeed you are called a Jew, and rest on the law and make your boast in God
Rom. 3:9 What then? Are we better than they? Not at all. For we have previously charged both Jews and Greeks that they are all under sin.
Rom. 3:28 Therefore we conclude that a man is justified by faith apart from the deeds of the law. 29 Or is He the God of the Jews only? Is He not also the God of the Gentiles? Yes, of the Gentiles also,

To prove that they could be justified apart from the law and apart from circumcision he gives them an example they know very well, Abraham.
Rom. 4:9 Does this blessedness then come upon the circumcised only, or upon the uncircumcised also? For we say that faith was accounted to Abraham for righteousness. 10 How then was it accounted? While he was circumcised, or uncircumcised? Not while circumcised, but while uncircumcised.

He then tells them they have been released from the law.
Rom. 7:6 But now we have been delivered from the law, having died to what we were held by, so that we should serve in the newness of the Spirit and not in the oldness of the letter.

Paul tells the Galatians that they can’t follow the law and Christ.
Gal. 5:3 And I testify again to every man who becomes that he is a debtor to keep the whole law. 4 You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace.

By the works of the law of Moses no one is justified.
Acts 13:38 Therefore let it be known to you, brethren, that through this Man is preached to you the forgiveness of sins; 39 and by Him everyone who believes is justified from all things from which you could not be justified by the law of Moses.

Well the problem with this idea is that the book of James is not the only source we have to know what James was teaching.

Acts 21:17 And when we had come to Jerusalem, the brethren received us gladly. 18 On the following day Paul went in with us to James, and all the elders were present. 19 When he had greeted them, he told in detail those things which God had done among the Gentiles through his ministry. 20 And when they heard it, they glorified the Lord. And they said to him, “You see, brother, how many myriads of Jews there are who have believed, and they are all zealous for the law; 21 but they have been informed about you that you teach all the Jews who are among the Gentiles to forsake Moses, saying that they ought not to circumcise their children nor to walk according to the customs. 22 What then? The assembly must certainly meet, for they will hear that you have come. 23 Therefore do what we tell you: We have four men who have taken a vow. 24 Take them and be purified with them, and pay their expenses so that they may shave their heads, and that all may know that those things of which they were informed concerning you are nothing, but that you yourself also walk orderly and keep the law.​

That verse 21 is a killer for your idea that James is talking about something other than the works of the Law of Moses. It's pretty clear that James is doing damage control here among his Jewish followers, attempting to quell this rumor about Paul telling Jews to forsake Moses and circumcision. Indeed, the issue of circumcision was the big theological debate in the first century and it turns out that the resolution to that debate is the very same resolution to every one of the modern theological debates I mentioned in my previous post. In fact, this doctrinal debate of circumcision, that most Christians don't even realize ever happened, is so central to the story of the Bible that if you don't understand how it was resolved, you don't understand the New Testament at all. It is THE key to understanding the whole thing. Without it, its like attempting to understand act 3 of Hamlet without having seen act 2. It can't be done.

Acts 15: 1And certain men came down from Judea and taught the brethren, “Unless you are circumcised according to the custom of Moses, you cannot be saved.” 2 Therefore, when Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and dispute with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas and certain others of them should go up to Jerusalem, to the apostles and elders, about this question.

5 But some of the sect of the Pharisees who believed rose up, saying, “It is necessary to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses.” 6 Now the apostles and elders came together to consider this matter.​

So why in the world should there be such a dispute in the first place? I mean these are the Apostles that we're talking about here. If anyone had their doctrine correct it had to be them! Why didn't they just reject these people outright? Where is the need for them to get all together and consider the matter?

Well the reason they had a dispute is because the notion that circumcision was not required was an entirely new idea. No one, and I mean absolutely no one, including Jesus Himself, had ever taught anything other than that circumcision was completely necessary. Jesus even placed circumcision above the Ten Commandments!

John 7: 23 If a man receives circumcision on the Sabbath, so that the law of Moses should not be broken, are you angry with Me because I made a man completely well on the Sabbath?​

In fact, Jesus not only upheld the Law He taught others to do the same over and over again and then AFTER HIS RESURRECTION, He told the twelve to teach others to do the same.

Matthew 28:19 Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you;​

Paul was the first and is the ONLY biblical author to teach anyone that they aught not get circumcised.

Galatians 5:2 Indeed I, Paul, say to you that if you become circumcised, Christ will profit you nothing.​

In fact, not being circumcised and not following the Law of Moses (essentially the same thing - the former being a physical symbol of the latter) form the foundation of Paul's entire ministry and message! And this message continued to create problems for the twelve and their converts even after the Jerusalem council.

Galatians 2:11 Now when Peter had come to Antioch, I withstood him to his face, because he was to be blamed; 12 for before certain men came from James, he would eat with the Gentiles; but when they came, he withdrew and separated himself, fearing those who were of the circumcision.​

That's another killer verse for your idea that James was not talking about the Law of Moses. This verse happens to be only a few sentences before some of the verses you quoted to make the case that Paul was talking about something different than James was. It's clear that he was not.

SO, what's the bottom line here? What was the resolution that the twelve came to? If only we had a way of knowing what was said at the council meeting! Oh wait! I'm pretty sure we do!

Acts 15: 7 And when there had been much dispute, Peter rose up and said to them: “Men and brethren, you know that a good while ago God chose among us, that by my mouth the Gentiles should hear the word of the gospel and believe. 8 So God, who knows the heart, acknowledged them by giving them the Holy Spirit, just as He did to us, 9 and made no distinction between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. 10 Now therefore, why do you test God by putting a yoke on the neck of the disciples which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? 11 But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved in the same manner as they.”

13 And after they had become silent, James answered, saying, “Men and brethren, listen to me: 14 Simon has declared how God at the first visited the Gentiles to take out of them a people for His name. 15 And with this the words of the prophets agree, just as it is written:

‘After this I will return
And will rebuild the tabernacle of David, which has fallen down;
I will rebuild its ruins,
And I will set it up;
So that the rest of mankind may seek the Lord,
Even all the Gentiles who are called by My name,
Says the Lord who does all these things.’​

18 “Known to God from eternity are all His works. 19 Therefore I judge that we should not trouble those from among the Gentiles who are turning to God, 20 but that we write to them to abstain from things polluted by idols, from sexual immorality, from things strangled, and from blood. 21 For Moses has had throughout many generations those who preach him in every city, being read in the synagogues every Sabbath.”​

And Paul's report from the same meeting we find recorded also...

Galatians 2:1 Then after fourteen years I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and also took Titus with me. 2 And I went up by revelation, and communicated to them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to those who were of reputation, lest by any means I might run, or had run, in vain. 3 Yet not even Titus who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised. 4 And this occurred because of false brethren secretly brought in (who came in by stealth to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage), 5 to whom we did not yield submission even for an hour, that the truth of the gospel might continue with you.

6 But from those who seemed to be something—whatever they were, it makes no difference to me; God shows personal favoritism to no man—for those who seemed to be something added nothing to me. 7 But on the contrary, when they saw that the gospel for the uncircumcised had been committed to me, as the gospel for the circumcised was to Peter 8 (for He who worked effectively in Peter for the apostleship to the circumcised also worked effectively in me toward the Gentiles), 9 and when James, Cephas, and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that had been given to me, they gave me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship, that we should go to the Gentiles and they to the circumcised. 10 They desired only that we should remember the poor, the very thing which I also was eager to do.​

Okay, that's more than enough for now. I'll let you digest that and we'll see where we are. Thanks for taking the time to read such a long post.

Resting in Him,
Clete

P.S. Thank you Bob Enyart!!!!

Last edited: