Pope Francis: 'Christians and Muslims are brothers and sisters'

Spitfire

That's the funny thing about Catholics. We have not cordoned Luke 10 and Jesus' parable of the good Samaritan off into some compartment of the Bible that we don't consider ourselves responsible for heeding.

Or we shouldn't, anyway... But people fall prey easily to the idea that good just occurs naturally if you shut enough evil out, when actually evil is everywhere we do not actively strive to promote good instead.

Shasta

can you give me a passage for that?

The spirit of antichrist denies the identity of the Son and His unique relationship to the Father

22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also (1 John 2:22-23)

Islam denies the Sonship of Christ:

It is not befitting to (the majesty of) Allah that He should beget a son... [Qur'an, Surah 19:35-36]

What what fellowship does the spirit of Christ with Antichrist? The goal of an Islamic society (according to the Qur'an) is to either subjugate Christians, to convert them or to execute them

“Fight those who believe not in GOD nor the Last Day, nor hold that forbidden, which had been forbidden by God, nor acknowledge the Religion of Truth (Islam), from among the Christians and Jews, until they pay the Jizziyah Tax with willing submission and feel themselves humiliated”—al Tauba 9:29 *

“Believers (Muslims), do not take any Unbelievers (Christians & Jews) as your friends or protectors because they are your mortal enemies”—al Mai’da 5:51 *

The world in general has a spiritual antipathy towards God and to all those who hold the testimony of the gospel. This is particularly true of the Muslims who have murdered and are murdering countless multitudes of Christians.

19 If you were of the world, the world would love you as its own; but because you are not of the world, but I chose you out of the world, therefore the world hates you. 20 Remember the word that I said to you: ‘A servant is not greater than his master.’ If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. (John 15:19)

If the pope thinks he can quench the violent spirit of Islam with some nice-sounding words about the "brotherhood of Christians and Muslims" he is either deceived or disingenuous.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
The spirit of antichrist denies the identity of the Son and His unique relationship to the Father

22 Who is the liar but he who denies that Jesus is the Christ? This is the antichrist, he who denies the Father and the Son. 23 No one who denies the Son has the Father. Whoever confesses the Son has the Father also (1 John 2:22-23)

Islam denies the Sonship of Christ:

who is their father?
and
how can you deny who is your father?

The Berean

The article is too vague in that it says that the Pope said this in Latin. So who translated the Pope's words? I suspect there was more to what he said than this. But it's good to see the Pope pressing for peace in this war torn nation.

As a Christian, Muslims are not my "brothers and sisters" in a spiritual sense. They can't be. They explicitly deny the divinity of Jesus Christ. As Christians, God has separated us from unbelievers. Given that, that doesn't mean we are not to love all people. We are commanded to do so. And I would help anyone in need, Christian and non-Christian, with whatever I can if the opportunity arose.

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
Source

Good on the Pope! Especially when fear is running rampant, I am happy to see a Christian leader taking the high road.

If he believes christians and muslims are brothers and sisters then he doesnt believe God.

John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.

John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, even to those who believe in His name 13 who were born, not of blood nor of the will of the flesh nor of the will of man, but of God.