Pope on Climate Change

MortSullivan

Well, for starters you are being critical of the RCC for using lights and electricity. I don't need to point out how stupid of an argument this is. You can be in favor of renewable energy and support the idea of climate change while still taking a hot shower in the morning. Then you give the pope a hard time for traveling and using energy this way. Again, he is not going to walk and use a row boat to get from the the Vatican to the US, to expect him to do so is ridiculous.

You claim they are "raping and pillaging" the environment because he uses a plane to cross an ocean and uses electricity like the rest of us? A ludicrous argument with nothing to stand on. Then again, I have a strong suspicion you are nothing more than a run-of-the-mill troll and aren't interested in genuine discussion at all.
In two paragraphs you have completely and totally dismissed and okayed the exorbitant waste of energy by an "organization" whose "head" is castigating everyone else for wasting energy.

So you're a Catholic apologist. I get it. But do you NOT see the blatant hypocrisy in that? It's just like the Pope chastising the US for its "strict" immigration policies, when NOBODY is allowed to immigrate into Vatican City. It's flagrant hypocrisy.

I take no real issue with people who aren't environmentally conscious - provided they don't preach to everyone about how they are, and castigate others for not doing what they themselves refuse to do. I believe that everyone should be as "green" as is physically possible - including the hypocrites who don't live what they preach.

So tell me... Just how many tons of emissions are spewed into the environment each year from Catholic cathedrals?

MortSullivan

I'm talking about ALL buildings.

And I will stand by my original assertion - that you refuse to refute - that Catholic cathedrals are ENORMOUS abusers of the environment.

What's so funny about this is that all of you refuse to even acknowledge that it's a problem. That it's hypocrisy.

gcthomas

So tell me... Just how many tons of emissions are spewed into the environment each year from Catholic cathedrals?

Trying to get him to answer my question to you? You are convinced the energy use is exorbitant, but refuse to give any figures or technical reasons to believe your puffed up prattling.

Come on - ante up.

Quetzal

In two paragraphs you have completely and totally dismissed and okayed the exorbitant waste of energy by an "organization" whose "head" is castigating everyone else for wasting energy.
To expect someone to return to the stone age using fire as their primary source of light is not a reasonable expectation.

So you're a Catholic apologist. I get it.
ad hominem

But do you NOT see the blatant hypocrisy in that? It's just like the Pope chastising the US for its "strict" immigration policies, when NOBODY is allowed to immigrate into Vatican City. It's flagrant hypocrisy.
Faulty analogy. These are not related.

I take no real issue with people who aren't environmentally conscious - provided they don't preach to everyone about how they are, and castigate others for not doing what they themselves refuse to do. I believe that everyone should be as "green" as is physically possible - including the hypocrites who don't live what they preach.
I am sure it is a consideration, but you have to be reasonable.

I don't know... do you?

MortSullivan

To expect someone to return to the stone age using fire as their primary source of light is not a reasonable expectation.
If you're not willing to live an energy-neutral life, you have absolutely no right to bellyache about others who don't.

ad hominem
You winced.

Faulty analogy. These are not related.
Wrong. They are 100% related, and completely in line with my original argument - which is that the Pope is a flagrant hypocrite when it comes to environmental issues, just like he's a flagrant hypocrite about immigration.

I am sure it is a consideration, but you have to be reasonable.
It's reasonable to demand that everyone else live in a way you're unwilling to live? It's unreasonable to call such people hypocrites?

I don't know... do you?
You'll NEVER find out from the RCC, but you can do the math. It's not that hard to figure out

So we see that the Pope, and the RCC, are flagrant hypocrites regarding the environment. Duly noted.

Quetzal

So we see that the Pope, and the RCC, are flagrant hypocrites regarding the environment. Duly noted.
I am really happy you are here. You are demonstrating how unreasonable people from the extreme left can be. Illustrating that political extremists, not matter which direction they fall in, are an absolute headache to deal with.

MortSullivan

I am really happy you are here. You are demonstrating how unreasonable people from the extreme left can be. Illustrating that political extremists, not matter which direction they fall in, are an absolute headache to deal with.

I love it! When proven wrong you just try to change the topic.

Also, I'm not an extremist about anything. But I am going to resolutely "call out" hypocrisy. People who claim to be "green" but abuse the environment are hypocrites. People who castigate others about the environment, yet rape and pillage it as does the RCC, should be ashamed of themselves.

Quetzal

I love it! When proven wrong you just try to change the topic.

Also, I'm not an extremist about anything. But I am going to resolutely "call out" hypocrisy. People who claim to be "green" but abuse the environment are hypocrites. People who castigate others about the environment, yet rape and pillage it as does the RCC, should be ashamed of themselves.
Not entirely. You are simply creating what I like to call a "No Middle Ground" argument. Your entire argument is based on two extremes with no room to compromise in any direction. I don't like these kinds of discussions because... it isn't a discussion at all. It is a browbeating of extremes until one person has had enough and the other raises their fists claiming to be a "winner". Much in the way you have here. Excuse me if I don't like to play those games. :cheers:

MortSullivan

Not entirely. You are simply creating what I like to call a "No Middle Ground" argument. Your entire argument is based on two extremes with no room to compromise in any direction. I don't like these kinds of discussions because... it isn't a discussion at all. It is a browbeating of extremes until one person has had enough and the other raises their fists claiming to be a "winner". Much in the way you have here. Excuse me if I don't like to play those games. :cheers:

So since you can't propose a "middle ground" for our hypocritical Pope & his minions, you simply dismiss the whole issue?

That's absurd!

What I'd like to see is, rather than a Pope arrogantly blathering on about climate change, a Pope who articulates what the RCC is doing - in real terms - to be an environmentally friendly entity.

How about starting there? Rather than be a silly criticizer of everyone else, why should the Pope explain to the world where & how he is LEADING?

But he's not. So... remove the hero worship, and you have a man with no credibility.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Those of us who take the Bible seriously believe that all of creation has been pronounced "good" by God. We are to be the stewards of our household.