Pope on Climate Change

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Um do you mean the CO2 satellite, Orbiting Carbon Observatory-2, or OCO-2, that only started producing data last year?

:idunno:

Take your pick.

You seem to have a lot of pretty pictures and mockery; still nothing in response to my opener, but.

rexlunae

Until you have answers to the questions posted in my post 107, we have no basis to proceed

Why? They're entirely separate lines of nonsense? You want an explanation of the ice ages? No one knows for sure what all of the factors were. I'm surprised you believe in them? Aren't you a creationist?

rexlunae

I deny that CO2 is a pollutant

So you think the carbon dioxide from your tailpipe occurs naturally? That F-150s occur naturally and roam wild somewhere? Or do you just doubt that changing the chemistry of the atmosphere has any harmful effects?

... as well as the idea that CO2 levels have never been this high before.

Great, because no one thinks that. They've never been this high recently, and the last time they were this high, there were no people, and the planet was much different place. No one exactly knows what all of the consequences of higher CO2 levels will be, but it generally is beneficial to life if its natural environment isn't messed with too much.

Alate_One

:idunno:

Take your pick.

You seem to have a lot of pretty pictures and mockery; still nothing in response to my opener, but.

You do understand "pretty pictures" i.e. graphs are the best way to present data in a forum situation?

Do you have some other data that contradicts what I've posted?

Quetzal

That is not based on the statement of a political party. It is based on a metastudy of published papers in scientific journals. The consensus among relevant scientific expert is >97% when it comes to anthropogenic global warming.
This is important to remember, this is not a political pawn in the chess game of politics. The data is relevant no matter what side of the aisle you are on.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
You do understand "pretty pictures" i.e. graphs are the best way to present data in a forum situation?
And they are the easiest things in the world to draw.

Do you have some response to my objection?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Climate change has been a fact since Genesis 1:1

I. What caused the ice ages?

1. Global cooling?

2. What caused the global cooling?

II. What was the caused the ice ages to end?

1. Global warming?

2. What caused the global warming that ended the ice ages?

a. SUV's

b. the natural cooling and warming cycles of the sun?

c... some other cyclical physical changes?

Global climate change has been around since the earth has been around.

What caused all the changes before the Industrial Revolution?

Did all nature's laws cease to function once we started burning coal and petroleum, naturally found resources that God put here for our use?

Man made global climate change hoaxsters and chicken little (the sky is falling fame) came out of the same mold
But climate coming from the actions of humankind did not make an appearance on the earth until the Industrial Revolution of the 17th and 19th centuries.

Everything we do has a consequence. Meteorologists are saying we are so interconnected that the flap of a butterfly's wings in the rain forest can contribute to a hurricane in the U.S.

genuineoriginal

No one exactly knows what all of the consequences of higher CO2 levels will be

However, we can speculate that if the increase in CO2 levels rises
to the levels during the Middle Cretaceous period (1,130 p.p.m.v.) then it may result
in the earth looking something like this:

RainForest.jpg

genuineoriginal

Geologic Global Climate Changes
Author: Nasif Nahle
Scientific Research Director-Biology Cabinet
. . .
Scientists have also observed that the concentration of atmospheric CO2 increases during periods of warming. However, an increase in temperature always precedes an increase in carbon dioxide, which generally occurs decades or centuries after any change of temperature. We have not observed an increase in the concentration of Carbon Dioxide to have preceded a period of warming.
. . .​

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you want to discuss the actual data or do you want to play semantic games?

Show us your data if you don't like mine.

Semantic games? I put forward a perfectly reasonable objection that you have studiously avoided.

You want a competition over who can post the most numbers, find someone else. I'm looking for someone who can show good reason that I should discard my ideas.

rexlunae

However, we can speculate that if the increase in CO2 levels rises
to the levels during the Middle Cretaceous period (1,130 p.p.m.v.) then it may result
in the earth looking something like this:

RainForest.jpg

We could speculate that, but it doesn't match the available evidence. And it doesn't tell us anything about how the animals will fair. The fact that the concentrations of CO2 in the atmosphere are rising is evidence that plants aren't able to use those higher concentrations for photosynthesis.

gcthomas

Climate change has been a fact since Genesis 1:1

I. What caused the ice ages?

1. Global cooling?

2. What caused the global cooling?

II. What was the caused the ice ages to end?

1. Global warming?

2. What caused the global warming that ended the ice ages?

a. SUV's

b. the natural cooling and warming cycles of the sun?

c... some other cyclical physical changes?

Global climate change has been around since the earth has been around.

What caused all the changes before the Industrial Revolution?

Did all nature's laws cease to function once we started burning coal and petroleum, naturally found resources that God put here for our use?

Man made global climate change hoaxsters and chicken little (the sky is falling fame) came out of the same mold

You seem to think that what caused the ice ages to end is the same as what is happening now. The ice age ends were precipitated by the same orbital changes that started them. But as the Earth started to warm the higher temperatures triggered positive feedbacks such as releasing CO2 from the ocean that pushed the temperatures higher. (Warming water causes dissolved CO2 to come out of solution and enter the atmosphere.)

We are doing the same but without the orbital cycles, releasing CO2 from underground stores that pushes temperatures up.

oatmeal

You seem to think that what caused the ice ages to end is the same as what is happening now. The ice age ends were precipitated by the same orbital changes that started them. But as the Earth started to warm the higher temperatures triggered positive feedbacks such as releasing CO2 from the ocean that pushed the temperatures higher. (Warming water causes dissolved CO2 to come out of solution and enter the atmosphere.)

We are doing the same but without the orbital cycles, releasing CO2 from underground stores that pushes temperatures up.

Why should I believe in "orbital changes"?

What influenced the earth to change it's orbit?

What proof do you have?

Since we have natural cycles, how do you know that we are not in a natural warming cycle?

Since the globe has not warmed as scientists have predicted, especially in the last 10-15 years, what is the problem? Are the global warming scientists wrong? Maybe the natural cooling cycle has begun and is negating the predicted warming? Why has the warming stopped? Do you know? The "scientists" do not know. How would you know?

Last edited:

oatmeal

But climate coming from the actions of humankind did not make an appearance on the earth until the Industrial Revolution of the 17th and 19th centuries.

Everything we do has a consequence. Meteorologists are saying we are so interconnected that the flap of a butterfly's wings in the rain forest can contribute to a hurricane in the U.S.

The climate changes caused by natural warming and cooling cycles far exceed any small changes a cow's fart will cause.

Yes, that chaos theory.

Yes, the flap of the butterfly's wings can do that so, we could have the same butterfly stop hurricanes in their tracks.

You should find that butterfly and train to stop all future hurricanes.

If a butterfly can do that, what could you do to stop all future weather disasters? How much could your prayers change the course of history?

For that matter, why is everyone complaining about "global warming" ?

For that matter, global warming scientists cannot explain why the globe has not warmed for the last 10-15 years when their "scientific" models predicted increasing "global warming"

Back in the seventies, the scientists were prediction global cooling, I am still waiting for that to happen.

So what if the globe warms up! Most people like warmer climates anyway. They should be thankful! But they should be warned that the natural cycles of warming and cooling will continue. After this period of global warming there will be a period of global cooling like there was a few centuries ago, before the industrial revolution.

Last edited: