Reject Syrian immigrants until we have a safe system in place

kmoney

Hall of Fame
That's what a resolution that the PA state senate passed this week says.

http://lancasteronline.com/news/pen...cle_cc9f83a2-951e-11e5-9d55-63f917b42d7f.html

The resolution asks Wolf, President Barack Obama and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security to discontinue resettlement “until such time as systems are in place to conduct effective and thorough security and background checks on Syrian refugees and to send a report detailing the increased measures to the states that are under consideration to receive Syrian refugees.”

That sounds like a reasonable enough compromise. They aren't really against immigrants. They just want an effective background check system in place first. I haven't heard much from other politicians but I imagine many others have said something similar instead of suggesting an outright ban. It sounds better.

But my question is....how do you know when there is an 'effective and thorough security and background check' system in place? How do you test the effectiveness? And no system is perfect, especially since people are probably being radicalized constantly. If one person gets in that ends up planning an attack then does that mean the system wasn't 'effective and thorough' and we'd need to go back to the drawing board or outright ban Syrian immigrants at that point?

It's hard not to think that resolution is a way to sound supportive of helping the immigrants while you are really creating an impossible hurdle because the background checks will never be good enough.

Does anyone really think the Republicans will eventually say, "OK Obama, I feel safe under your system". :plain:

bybee

http://lancasteronline.com/news/pen...cle_cc9f83a2-951e-11e5-9d55-63f917b42d7f.html

That sounds like a reasonable enough compromise. They aren't really against immigrants. They just want an effective background check system in place first. I haven't heard much from other politicians but I imagine many others have said something similar instead of suggesting an outright ban. It sounds better.

But my question is....how do you know when there is an 'effective and thorough security and background check' system in place? How do you test the effectiveness? And no system is perfect, especially since people are probably being radicalized constantly. If one person gets in that ends up planning an attack then does that mean the system wasn't 'effective and thorough' and we'd need to go back to the drawing board or outright ban Syrian immigrants at that point?

It's hard not to think that resolution is a way to sound supportive of helping the immigrants while you are really creating an impossible hurdle because the background checks will never be good enough.

Does anyone really think the Republicans will eventually say, "OK Obama, I feel safe under your system". :plain:

The one check that really matters to me is HEALTH! Many of these refugees carry devastating diseases and parasites. If the children are entered into the school systems we shall have a disaster on our hands.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
The one check that really matters to me is HEALTH! Many of these refugees carry devastating diseases and parasites. If the children are entered into the school systems we shall have a disaster on our hands.

Yes that is a valid concern. I don't know what the procedures are for things like that.

bybee

Yes that is a valid concern. I don't know what the procedures are for things like that.

Taking the time for a thorough medical exam. I had an uncle that wanted to immigrate here from Canada in the late fifties. He was rejected because he had once had TB.
Some of the health problems of the immigrants are easily treated and treatment should be given.

kmoney

Hall of Fame
then let's do nothing.... about bringing refugees over here

let's do all we can to make their own country a safe place for them to stay

I agree that would be the ultimate goal. What's your proposal on how to do that? My guess is it involves lots of bombs. :eek:

The Berean

Looks like Canada is doing security checks in Syria, Jordan, and Lebanon. Why can't the US do this as well? :idunno:

In an interview with the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, Trudeau admitted that the Paris terror attacks had an influence on public perceptions and that his government decided it would be best to do all security checks on the ground in Jordan, Lebanon and Turkey before allowing refugees to board planes to Canada.

But Canada is NOT taking in Syran single men but homosexual are ok. :plain: :think:

The plan as outlined prioritizes families and vulnerable individuals, including those from the LGBT community.

Single unaccompanied men will be excluded from the government resettlement program for now.

republicanchick

:

that makes too much sense

so we can count on the liberals ignoring it.. voting against it.. as always

besides, it's just the little people... the vulnerable people.. who will suffer b/c of the elitists' political mistakes...

+

kmoney

Hall of Fame
that makes too much sense

so we can count on the liberals ignoring it.. voting against it.. as always

besides, it's just the little people... the vulnerable people.. who will suffer b/c of the elitists' political mistakes...

+

You think it makes sense? How do you know when you've devised a thorough and effective security check?