Saudis announce Islamic anti-terrorism coalition

Quetzal

Saudi Arabia has said 34 mainly Muslim nations have joined a new military alliance to fight terrorism.

A joint operations centre is to be established in the Saudi capital, Riyadh, state media reported.

Countries from Asia, Africa and the Arab world are involved in the alliance but Saudi Arabia's main regional rival Iran is not.

The list of 34 members: Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, Bangladesh, Benin, Chad, Comoros, Djibouti, Egypt, Gabon, Guinea, Ivory Coast, Jordan, Kuwait, Lebanon, Libya, Malaysia, Maldives, Mali, Morocco, Mauritania, Niger, Nigeria, Pakistan, the Palestinians, Qatar, Senegal, Sierra Leone, Somalia, Sudan, Togo, Tunisia, Turkey, United Arab Emirates and Yemen.

This is great news, however, there are some concerns...

Two things stand out immediately about this new Saudi-based Islamic Coalition.

The Shia-majority nations of Iran and Iraq are noticeably absent, as is their ally Syria.

It is far from clear how, in practice, the coalition would conduct counter-terrorism operations in IS-plagued Iraq and Syria without the agreement of those governments.

Secondly, there is the question of the exact definition of terrorism. The Saudi authorities' interpretation of it extends far beyond the violent actions of armed insurgents.

Recent legislation has branded peaceful opposition activists and reformers, whether online or in the street, as suspected "terrorists" and a security risk to the state.

Amnesty International said it had concerns that this new coalition could be used to further restrict human rights.
Full article here.

Food for thought:
Do you think this kind of coalition will be effective. Why or why not?

Israel has not joined the coalition, what do you think of that?

With the end goal in mind, do you think this will strengthen or weak the Islamic State? Why or why not?

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Israel has not joined the coalition, what do you think of that?

I am going to excuse your millennialism on this one. You likely have not be educated in the schools to know what is going on. And maybe you have, who knows.

There is an Arab boycott of Israel. You didn't know that Arabs are proud racists? They will tell you.

Quetzal

I am going to excuse your millennialism on this one. You likely have not be educated in the schools to know what is going on. And maybe you have, who knows.

There is an Arab boycott of Israel. You didn't know that Arabs are proud racists? They will tell you.
Actually that is a good point since the majority of the population of Israel is not Muslim. Doh! My bad. :doh:

gcthomas

Will the Saudis clamp down on the wealthy and powerful salafist Wahhabist Islam that both keeps the House of Saud in power and is responsible for most of the recent surge in violent islamist terrorism world wide?

bybee

Indeed! Arabs, in general, consider the State of Israel to be illegal.
I wonder if people are aware that slavery is legal, alive and practiced in Islamic Theocracies? The only person who cannot be enslaved is an Arab man.
I can see potential for significant loss of freedom to some groups if this coalition chooses to exercise their muscle?

Quetzal

Indeed! Arabs, in general, consider the State of Israel to be illegal.
I wonder if people are aware that slavery is legal, alive and practiced in Islamic Theocracies? The only person who cannot be enslaved is an Arab man.
I can see potential for significant loss of freedom to some groups if this coalition chooses to exercise their muscle?
Hmm, which groups though? Looks like a big focus is in Iraq and Syria. I will be honest, I have lost track of that state of affairs in Iraq in the last few years...

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Actually that is a good point since the majority of the population of Israel is not Muslim. Doh! My bad. :doh:

Kuwait, Saudi Arabia, and the UAE do not have a vested interest in the protection of Israel by jihadists. They do have on in not losing their lifestyle to said jihadists. Jordan is one that is cooperative with Israel.

bybee

Hmm, which groups though? Looks like a big focus is in Iraq and Syria. I will be honest, I have lost track of that state of affairs in Iraq in the last few years...

I would suggest, given past and ongoing performances by Muslim groups, any group with whom they disagree would be considered fair game?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Oh, the water is fine, I'm planning a family vacation in Iraq next summer. We might drive to Syria in a Hummer rental.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
Muslims call Christians terrorist for preaching the word of God.

Cool Story.

ffcc746a444f3aba913ee729636f5aa1.jpg

Zeke

Will the Saudis clamp down on the wealthy and powerful salafist Wahhabist Islam that both keeps the House of Saud in power and is responsible for most of the recent surge in violent islamist terrorism world wide?

Lets me consult my Petrodollar Crystal Ball, Ah everyone who has tried to use another has met with a terrible fate, Terrorism being the popular disguise WMD's (Weapons Of Mass Distractions) used to conceal the real reason behind attacking them.

CherubRam

Yes and what is a Catholic if not a Christian?

A Pagan Christian.

Pope Gregory and Paganism.
The attitude of the Catholic Church toward paganism is best summed up by Pope Gregory the Great, in his words to a missionary: “You must not interfere with any traditional belief or religious observance that can be harmonized with Christianity.”
Pope Gregory 540 – 12 March 604.

Not only were the Congregations divided by Gnosticism, but enticed by philosophy and paganism also, and there were geographic divisions as well.

What were the Pagan beliefs harmonized with Christianity? Maybe the answer can be found by comparing Orthodox Judaism to Paganism.

Crucible

BANNED
Banned
It was the Catholics who did that. I am not a Catholic. I have noticed that you speak against Christianity in favor of Islam.

I speak in reality. I have noticed that some, including you, speak against it in favor of fantasy.

It wasn't 'Catholic', it was 'Christianity'. There was no other Christianity. Your brand evolved ever so slowly through time- neither the founders of your ideology or anyone up until a few centuries ago would have batted an eye if a person was lynched for blasphemy.

CherubRam

I speak in reality. I have noticed that some, including you, speak against it in favor of fantasy.

It wasn't 'Catholic', it was 'Christianity'. There was no other Christianity. Your brand evolved ever so slowly through time- neither the founders of your ideology or anyone up until a few centuries ago would have batted an eye if a person was lynched for blasphemy.

You allegations are not correct.

TulipBee

BANNED
Banned
I think it's a good start and the Saudis have the money to do this but sadly Islam attacks Islam like christians attack christians, here, especially when calvinism is the gospel.