Suggestions for the TOL Topic of the Day

The Glory Land

Okay folks I need some new ideas for the Topic of the Day. I want to plan out the next few weeks because I will be super busy. I already have topic for now until this coming Monday. I need about 10 or more new ones.

Why were they called, the foolish virgins...
:peach::peach::peach::peach::peach::peach::peach:

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
John 8:10 When Jesus had lifted up himself, and saw none but the woman, he said unto her, Woman, where are those thine accusers? hath no man condemned thee?

11 She said, No man, Lord. And Jesus said unto her, Neither do I condemn thee: go, and sin no more.

When Jesus said "go and sin no more", what did He mean?

Was it an order?

A suggestion?

Was it even possible for her to "sin no more"?

And what if she did?

Would He have forgiven her seventy times seven?

"Go and sin no more"

....or what?

Go and sin no more or else you'll get a butt-whoopin'?

Go and sin no more, but if you do that's cool too because I'll forgive you?

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Okay folks I need some new ideas for the Topic of the Day. I want to plan out the next few weeks because I will be super busy. I already have topic for now until this coming Monday. I need about 10 or more new ones.

Lowering the legal drinking age/raising the legal age of adulthood.

Tom

An historical, humanist perspective on Easter

An historical, humanist perspective on Easter

Many biblical historians see Paul as out of step with the other Apostles and their leader James, the brother of Jesus. These intimate associates of Jesus saw no redemptive value in the crucifixion and remained firmly wedded to Judaism after it. They accepted Jesus as a Messiah but believed redemption would only be secured by a second coming and in the meantime, they continued to observe the Jewish Day of Atonement. Their priority seems to have been to carry on Christ’s humanist work- his compassionate care of the poor and his campaign against the corrupt religious elites based in the Jerusalem Temple. Professor JD Crossan is just one of many scholars who now see Jesus steeped in in this Judaic prophetic tradition, elevating a thirst for justice and compassionate activism as ‘the new cornerstone’, the supreme commandment of Judaic law.

But while Paul’s Christology gradually prevailed over that of the original Apostles, it is their more humanist perspective that dominates the four gospels, even though they were written decades after Christ’s death when Paul’s influence was at its zenith. So why do Christians insist on seeing the crucifixion through Paul’s eyes rather than James’? There is only one reference in Matthew’s gospel where Christ said he was shedding his blood “to forgive the sins of multitudes” (Matt 26:28) and Paul seems to have hitched his wagon to this verse. Yet when those words are placed in the historical context of Christ’s mission, they take on a very different meaning to the one Paul derived.

In Galilee where Christ focused most of his campaign, the ‘multitudes’ were afflicted with widespread disease and rural poverty, often caused by the dispossession of their land. This misery was exacerbated by being connected with sinfulness, a stigma indelibly ingrained by strict ‘purity’ rules enforced by the religious establishment. This ‘poverty of spirit’- a crushing burden of guilt- compounded their dire material condition and produced a deep yearning for forgiveness.

But in what sense was Jesus ‘shedding his blood’ for these unfortunates?

The event that triggered Christ’s crucifixion was his assault on the Jerusalem Temple which was dominated by the fundamentalist Shammaite Pharisees who promoted the draconian purity laws. These extremists had forged an uneasy alliance with the corrupt Sadducees who imposed their own heavy religious taxes (tithes) on the countryside and accumulated vast land holdings by evicting small indebted farmers from their land. The purity laws imposed a culture of guilt that made this exploitation easier, especially when the Sadducees had a monopoly of on forgiveness of sins via the Temple. But Jesus went way beyond this symbolic forgiveness. His healing miracles eradicated the sin altogether by actually curing people and giving them new hope. Here was a competing power of forgiveness that had the potential to put ‘Temple Inc’ out of business. Its priests arrested him and demanded his crucifixion.

This is how James and the early Jewish Christians probably understood Christ as shedding his blood for ‘the sins of multitudes’. His purpose was not to earn us a free ride to heaven. Quite the contrary- he demanded we ‘take up our own crosses’ and follow him, sharpening our compassionate awareness and our thirst for justice.

It this humanist perspective is correct, Christians should start to focus far more on this world and less on the next, if they are to find redemption in either.

Tom Drake-Brockman
Author of Christian Humanism: the compassionate theology of a Jew called Jesus
http://christianhumanism.webs.com/

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
What is the criteria you use when making decisions in so far as where you spend your time on the internet (and in the real world) and who you interact with as friends?

What criteria do you use for patronizing businesses and companies in every day life?

WizardofOz

1) Make it the topic of the week. They at times run that long anyway

A) The Rand Paul filibuster - thoughts
B) Looking forward to spring/summer? Why? What are your spring/summer plans?
C) What are your plans for retirement?
D) What companies/stocks are you invested in?
F) What new technologies will soon impact our daily lives?
E) Pick any vacation, where are you going/what are you doing?
F) Would you ever consider being a space tourist?
G) What is the greatest sport ever and why -OR-greatest single sporting event
H) Should all humans have legal protection against being killed?
I) Should individuals be criminally charged for the death of a zygote/fetus?
J) Favorite TV show of all time
K) Top 5 movies of all time
L) When you travel, what hotel do you stay at?
M) Ever been to Vegas? What did you do?
N) favorite pizza toppings
O) Last movie you saw?
P) Car you drive
Q) How many children is ideal?
R) Are you close with your siblings?
S) Do you read the newspaper or all news online/on TV?
T) Best band/musician of all time
U) If you could time travel, what year would you stop at first?
V) Favorite store
W) How many times have you moved in your lifetime
X) Favorite outdoor activity
Y) What do you do to stay fit
Z) A fact that others may not know

Probably at least some duplicates but I hope some of them help!

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Will there be homosexuals in Heaven, why or why not?

Who or what kind of person would you like to see as the next Pope.

Has Obama done a good job so far in his second term in office?

That do you think of the Queen's announcement concerning Gay Rights in England?

Eeset

LIFETIME MEMBER
How will you survive if there are major disruptions to the food supply for any reason?

How many places have you visited using google earth or other similar technologies?

What would you discuss with someone who made 250 million last year if you had an afternoon with the person?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Write your own obituary as you hope it would read.

Would you rather fail entirely on principle or succeed in part through compromise?

Outside of purely educational or religious materials, what is the greatest book you've ever read in terms of personal impact and why?

What one thing are you better at than any other (compared to self and not others)?

Look into the future and make a prediction of historical importance.

What would you order for your last meal?

What is your idea of a perfect vacation?

If you could live anywhere else for a year where would you choose to live and why?

Who were the best and worst five Presidents according to the book of you?

vegascowboy

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have one:

If another company (or companies) obtains the rights to manufacture, distribute, and sell food products with the name of Twinkies, Ding Dongs, Wonder Bread, etc., will you buy them and accept them as an appropriate continuation of their ancestors?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Your view on role of women in the church: egalitarian or complementarian?

One thing, academics or extra-curricula, you did well at in High School?

Dating/Courtship- For Marriage Only or...?

Desert Island - Two books you would take (Bible is already assumed..pick two more)

The Great Commission - For Everyone or the ordained only?

Earth ends in 24 hrs - How would you spend the day?

You are TOL King for a Day - What single discussion rule would you add or delete?

How does God use the law and the gospel to relate to his people?

What is the relationship of faith to works?

How did you meet your spouse?

Is lying ever justified for the Christian?

You are on a Pulpit Committee. What are two questions you will ask the pastoral candidate?

Describe some of your best witnessing methods to cult members.

Is there a difference between the Rapture and the Second Coming?

Your favorite vacation? Where? Why?

If you could ask another TOL member two questions, who and what would you ask?

Should illegal immigrants' children be entitled to public education?

What are you afraid of?

What is your best personal quality?

Should the husband be the major breadwinner in a family?

Do you feel that the workplace is or is not a place where religious views should be discussed?

Is torture ever an acceptable option?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Some really good ones in here.
You are TOL King for a Day - What single discussion rule would you add or delete?
No negative personal commentary allowed. All posts must focus on the argument or point and not on the poster.

You are on a Pulpit Committee. What are two questions you will ask the pastoral candidate?
Can we assume, "What is your notion of the proper length of a good sermon" to be a baseline?

If you could ask another TOL member two questions, who and what would you ask?
That's a great one. :thumb:

Should illegal immigrants' children be entitled to public education?

What are you afraid of?
You might be able to combine those. :plain:

What is your best personal quality?
Another good one...could be coupled with another poster...so you post your own and one you believe about another poster who then responds and posts about another poster...and so on. A great one for Fellowship Week, if we ever have another one.

Maybe we should just have a daily or weekly fellowship hour. :think:

Is torture ever an acceptable option?
If you've read TSF you have your answer around here. :noid: