That's so gay.

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
I dont know Knight, I kinda agree with him. I've always maintained that the stupidity of calling random things "gay" in a usage synonymous with "stupid" is so gay.

That's so stupid!

To quote the gay commercial..."Knock it off"!

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
You might think it is original and funny to call all dissenting replies "gay", but it just shows that you're avoiding the arguments that you can't face up to. Childish, really.

That's so Egbert!

Egbert

So what your sayin' is that you think being childish is so gay?

I want to be clear on this.
I wouldn't bother defining "childish", as it is pretty self-explanatory. (I could also say "puerile", perhaps more accurately.)
"So gay" would just be further confusion of the word. It was bad enough when the word was usurped as a term for homosexuality.

MrRadish

Apathy is actually hate. So hopefully you understand that homosexuality is destructive and hopefully you would warn you neighbor about such things.

On the contrary...

wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn said:
hate: the emotion of intense dislike; a feeling of dislike so strong that it demands action.

If I genuinely feel indifferent to another's actions, I don't hate them, because hatred is an emotion. If I'm apathetic to them because I actually dislike them enough to actively want to see them destroy themselves, then yes, that's hatred. But apathy isn't necessarily synonymous with it.

DocJohnson

Wanda makes a good point. It won't halt the idiotic corruptions of the English language, but there's no harm in pointing out the stupidity of calling random things "gay" in a usage synonymous with "stupid."

Depends on what corruption you're referring to. The corruption of the definition of the word "gay" didn't start with the kids using it today... it started with the homosexuals who are now complaining about it! Those homosexuals are just never happy... and a tad bit too sensitive if you ask me.

Tico

Wanda makes a good point. It won't halt the idiotic corruptions of the English language, but there's no harm in pointing out the stupidity of calling random things "gay" in a usage synonymous with "stupid."

Look at this way. When I call something "gay", I´m actually elevating the status of gay-dom. This is due to the fact that I can think of nothing more disgusting than homos. Thus, if I call something gay, I am, by definition, associating queerness with something less disgusting.

Egbert

Depends on what corruption you're referring to. The corruption of the definition of the word "gay" didn't start with the kids using it today... it started with the homosexuals who are now complaining about it! Those homosexuals are just never happy... and a tad bit too sensitive if you ask me.

You're right that "gay" has already been corrupted (or rather usurped, since the original usage is by now practically nonexistent, and a laughingstock when seen). That does not justify corrupting the word into oblivion, however. Instead of having the meaning change to one thing or another, this recent trend really only serves to spark discord. Homosexuals are not going to stop calling themselves gay, and the only reason "gay" was selected as a slang insult was because of the word's connection to homosexuals. In short, the newest usage is clearly born of bigotry, and is indeed insulting. Even those who think of homosexuality as a perversion deserving of ridicule should recognize that infusing the language with digs will not help matters, and is akin to racial slurs.

Egbert

Look at this way. When I call something "gay", I´m actually elevating the status of gay-dom. This is due to the fact that I can think of nothing more disgusting than homos. Thus, if I call something gay, I am, by definition, associating queerness with something less disgusting.

Oh, I get it.

You are a moron.

Now, don't get all insulted or anything, because I actually think that you are even less intelligent than a moron, probably an imbecile or even an idiot. Therefore I am not insulting you, but complimenting you by calling you something more intelligent than what I think you really are.

Feel honored.

Tico

Oh, I get it.

You are a moron.

Now, don't get all insulted or anything, because I actually think that you are even less intelligent than a moron, probably an imbecile or even an idiot. Therefore I am not insulting you, but complimenting you by calling you something more intelligent than what I think you really are.

Feel honored.

Yep. You got the idea.

Touchy, touchy. You´re awfully sensitive about this issue. :think:

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
On the contrary...

If I genuinely feel indifferent to another's actions, I don't hate them, because hatred is an emotion. If I'm apathetic to them because I actually dislike them enough to actively want to see them destroy themselves, then yes, that's hatred. But apathy isn't necessarily synonymous with it.

Correct, apathy is a form of hate. If you don't care if your neighbors are destroying themselves, that is a form of hate.

Egbert

Yep. You got the idea.

Do you see now that your way of thinking is absurd? Presupposing a baser nature for your target than your choice of insult suggests only turns the insult into a compliment in your own mind. It matters nothing to the person whom you are trying to insult, and renders your remarks practically meaningless to anyone but yourself.

Touchy, touchy. You´re awfully sensitive about this issue. :think:
Nonsensical argumentum ad hominem. You know nothing of my level of sensitivity, and your bringing it up is only meant to distract from the argument.

Tico

Do you see now that your way of thinking is absurd? Presupposing a baser nature for your target than your choice of insult suggests only turns the insult into a compliment in your own mind. It matters nothing to the person whom you are trying to insult, and renders your remarks practically meaningless to anyone but yourself.

Ok. It´s time to let you off the hook. My original post was pure sarcasm. I want to do absolutely nothing to elevate the moral status of homosexuality.

Nonsensical argumentum ad hominem. You know nothing of my level of sensitivity, and your bringing it up is only meant to distract from the argument.

Only if it´s not true. :think:

DocJohnson

You're right that "gay" has already been corrupted (or rather usurped, since the original usage is by now practically nonexistent, and a laughingstock when seen). That does not justify corrupting the word into oblivion, however. Instead of having the meaning change to one thing or another, this recent trend really only serves to spark discord. Homosexuals are not going to stop calling themselves gay, and the only reason "gay" was selected as a slang insult was because of the word's connection to homosexuals. In short, the newest usage is clearly born of bigotry, and is indeed insulting. Even those who think of homosexuality as a perversion deserving of ridicule should recognize that infusing the language with digs will not help matters, and is akin to racial slurs.

Sorry, but they started it, so they now have to deal with the consequences.

Who cares if it's considered bigotry? You'll never do away with that. People are entitled (yes, have a right) to their thoughts and opinions.

When I was a kid, there was a saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

So, I'd suggest those super-sensitive whimps who are offended by mere words or phrases do one of the following:

1. Grow a thicker skin.
2. Get over it.
3. Grow and thicker skin and get over it.

koban

Sorry, but they started it, so they now have to deal with the consequences.

Who cares if it's considered bigotry? You'll never do away with that. People are entitled (yes, have a right) to their thoughts and opinions.

When I was a kid, there was a saying, "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

So, I'd suggest those super-sensitive whimps who are offended by mere words or phrases do one of the following:

1. Grow a thicker skin.
2. Get over it.
3. Grow and thicker skin and get over it.

Don't forget

4. Quit being so darned gay! :darwinsm:

Revelation

BANNED
Banned
I'm not offended by people who say, "That's so gay".

How could I be offended by someone who shows that level of intelligence?

It would be like being offended by a child who doesn't know any better.

People are entitled to be ignorant if they want, and I'm entitled to laugh at them when they are.