The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
All that stuff has been talked about in torturous detail.

And besides, how does math that proves that the Earth cannot be flat let any flat Earther off the hook?

Ask Dave whether he feels like I'm letting him off the hook.

I'm learning the math and adding the visuals.

--Dave

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Everyone

View attachment 26548

First pic is the whole view of 400 mile distance with 20 mile elevation and 20 mile drop --from ground level. Youngstown Ohio to New York city is just about 400 miles.

View attachment 26549

Second pic is ground level to 6.7 commercial flight elevation and 19 mile balloon flight elevation.

View attachment 26550

Third pic is horizon point 229 miles away for 6.7 mile elevation.

Distance in Miles: 229.2

Viewer height in Feet: 35000

Distance = 229.2 Miles (1210176 Feet), View Height = 6.63 Miles (35000 Feet)

Horizon = 229.2 Miles (1210153.46 Feet)
Bulge = 1.66 Miles (8759.49 Feet)
Drop = 6.64 Miles (35060.01 Feet)
Hidden= 0 Feet (0 Inches)
Horizon Dip = 3.313 Degrees

The elevation of 6.6 miles above the ground level with a drop of 6.6 miles at the horizon point is a total drop of 13.2 miles from eye level to the horizon.

View attachment 26551

Fourth pic is horizon point 387.7 mile away for 19 mile elevation.

Distance in Miles: 387.7

Viewer height in Feet: 100000

Distance = 387.7 Miles (2047056 Feet), View Height = 18.94 Miles (100000 Feet)

Horizon = 387.71 Miles (2047120.91 Feet)
Bulge = 4.75 Miles (25073.25 Feet)
Drop = 19.03 Miles (100474.31 Feet)
Hidden= None, horizon is beyond the target distance
Horizon Dip = 5.593 Degrees

The elevation of 19 miles above the ground level with a drop of 19 miles at the horizon point is a total drop of 38 miles from eye level to the horizon.

View attachment 26552

--Dave

I'm not trying to make lite of your work, I just don't get it.

After reading it, my thought was, "So what?"

What's the argument?

It seems you managed to make something where you could actually draw the triangles and measure the angles with a protractor, thereby confirming at least part of those numbers with your own eyes.
Yes?

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Everyone

View attachment 26553View attachment 26548

If I extended my graph in the other direction I would have 800 miles, Chicago to New York City.

From 20 miles up over Youngstown Ohio, you could look north across Lake Erie and Lake Ontario into Canada then turn your head left and see Chicago, turn your head right and see New York City. You would be looking 40 miles down at the horizon almost 400 miles into the distance in all directions from eye level.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

What's the argument?

It seems you managed to make something where you could actually draw the triangles and measure the angles with a protractor, thereby confirming at least part of those numbers with your own eyes.
Yes?

Yes when you have side a and side b at the 90 degree point you can get side c and the angle from viewer.

The question in my mind is how far below eye level would a 40 mile drop at 390 miles away look like? You said yourself it would be noticable. If they put a telephoto lens on a camera instead of a fish eye we would certainly see this drop much better or see if there was no drop.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

What's the argument?

Yes?

View attachment 26548

When you click on my graph you get a sense of the drop from the left end at my mark 20 miles up to 40 miles down at the horizon at the right end.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

What's the argument?

Yes?

Because I've been a professional graphic artist I will work on producing graphs to scale that will show the curvature of earth at a six feet to maybe 1 mile elevation, a 35000 foot elevation to a 100000 foot elevation.

A visualization is as important as the numbers in determining if we see the flat earth horizon at eye level or if we are looking down at the horizon of a globe. I want to see both sides of this horizon argument and I don't want to be accused of misrepresenting either one.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Because I've been I've been a professional graphic artist I will work on producing graphs to scale that will show the curvature of earth at a six feet to maybe 1 mile elevation, a 35000 foot elevation to a 100000 foot elevation.

A visualization is as important as the numbers in determining if we see the flat earth horizon at eye level or if we are looking down at the horizon of a globe. I want to see both sides of this horizon argument and I don't want to be accused of misrepresenting either one.

--Dave
Hey Dave, on your graph, pick a random spot on it and calculate the length of a segment on that curve that, at scale, would be about 6 miles in length. Then tell me how curved that segment looks, or if it's relatively flat.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hey Dave, on your graph, pick a random spot on it and calculate the length of a segment on that curve that, at scale, would be about 6 miles in length. Then tell me how curved that segment looks, or if it's relatively flat.

I'm working on short distances now. My question is how far can we really see into the distance. If I'm correct we can see the horizon at 3 miles away, but we cannot see ships on the horizon at that distance without a telescope or telephoto lens.

View attachment 26554

Is this ship as seen from shore 3 miles away or closer? It's taken from about 5 to 6 feet up, I think.

--Dave

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yes when you have side a and side b at the 90 degree point you can get side c and the angle from viewer.

The question in my mind is how far below eye level would a 40 mile drop at 390 miles away look like? You said yourself it would be noticable. If they put a telephoto lens on a camera instead of a fish eye we would certainly see this drop much better or see if there was no drop.

--Dave

View attachment 26555
The Right-angled Triangles Calculator

b=3959 miles (radius of Earth)
c=3999 miles (radius plus altitude)

40 miles altitude yields an 8.11° (angle A) down angle to the horizon line. That's not a huge angle by any means and I'd wager that your brain would still make it feel like it was straight in front of your eyes unless you were paying very careful attention. You'd really want and Abney Level or some other sort of instrument.

But that's not to say you couldn't get an idea of what it looks like. Just download some sort of app on your phone and find something off in the distance that's 8° above the horizon and see the difference.

View attachment 26548

When you click on my graph you get a sense of the drop from the left end at my mark 20 miles up to 40 miles down at the horizon at the right end.

--Dave

Right, and try to imagine how flat that angle is going to seem when you blow it up to life size!

Because I've been a professional graphic artist I will work on producing graphs to scale that will show the curvature of earth at a six feet to maybe 1 mile elevation, a 35000 foot elevation to a 100000 foot elevation.

--Dave

If you do it right, you're fixing to be a former flat-Earther.

At an altitude of 10 km (33,000 ft, the typical cruising altitude of an airliner) the mathematical curvature of the horizon is about 0.056, the same curvature of the rim of circle with a radius of 10 m that is viewed from 56 cm directly above the center of the circle. However, the apparent curvature is less than that due to refraction of light in the atmosphere and because the horizon is often masked by high cloud layers that reduce the altitude above the visual surface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon#Curvature_of_the_horizon

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm working on short distances now. My question is how far can we really see into the distance. If I'm correct we can see the horizon at 3 miles away, but we cannot see ships on the horizon at that distance without a telescope or telephoto lens.

View attachment 26554

Is this ship as seen from shore 3 miles away or closer? It's taken from about 5 to 6 feet up, I think.

--Dave

Assuming that exactly none of the ship is hidden by the horizon and that the camera is six feet about the surface of the water and assuming standard refraction, the ship would be approximately 3.25 miles away.

https://www.metabunk.org/curve/

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
View attachment 26555
The Right-angled Triangles Calculator

b=3959 miles (radius of Earth)
c=3999 miles (radius plus altitude)

40 miles altitude yields an 8.11° (angle A) down angle to the horizon line. That's not a huge angle by any means and I'd wager that your brain would still make it feel like it was straight in front of your eyes unless you were paying very careful attention. You'd really want and Abney Level or some other sort of instrument.

But that's not to say you couldn't get an idea of what it looks like. Just download some sort of app on your phone and find something off in the distance that's 8° above the horizon and see the difference.

Right, and try to imagine how flat that angle is going to seem when you blow it up to life size!

If you do it right, you're fixing to be a former flat-Earther.

At an altitude of 10 km (33,000 ft, the typical cruising altitude of an airliner) the mathematical curvature of the horizon is about 0.056, the same curvature of the rim of circle with a radius of 10 m that is viewed from 56 cm directly above the center of the circle. However, the apparent curvature is less than that due to refraction of light in the atmosphere and because the horizon is often masked by high cloud layers that reduce the altitude above the visual surface.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Horizon#Curvature_of_the_horizon

I'm having trouble being blocked with some of my replies.

I think one would notice a horizon drop of 13.2 miles from a commercial flight at 35000 feet

--Dave

Last edited:

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

We can't see 6 miles from 6 ft height, we can see 3 miles. The earth drops 6 feet in three miles, add 6 feet to height of viewer and we have 12 feet. So at six feet eye level we are looking down 12 feet to the horizon 3 miles away. That's not much of a curvature and it would be relatively flat. But knowing how far away a ship is from viewer is important to know.

--Dave

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
We can't see 6 miles from 6 ft height, we can see 3 miles. The earth drops 6 feet in three miles, add 6 feet to height of viewer and we have 12 feet. So at six feet eye level we are looking down 12 feet to the horizon 3 miles away. That's not much of a curvature and it would be relatively flat. But knowing how far away a ship is from viewer is important to know.

--Dave
Dave, what's the diameter of a circle with a 3 mile radius?

Status
Not open for further replies.