The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Does it seem like Dave wants us to watch videos, but does not watch our videos?

If he had watched videos, we would have seen that a LEVEL LASER struck a boat on large lake HIGHER and HIGHER the FARTHER the boat was from the laser.

P.S. I've been gone a while, did Dave ever address the FE map of Australia being TOO BIG?

Do you mean the one that was supposedly narrated by Hawking?

--Dave

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
I'm putting up a graph across my wall. It's going to be about 8 feet long and it will show the elevation to distance for a 35000 foot commercial flight and a 100000 foot balloon to the horizon and to scale. I found a very good video for the high altitude balloon, Starduster.

I'll take pictures with my iphone and post it to see what you all think of it.

This will take just a little while to finish. It won't be fancy but I want it to be accurate.

--Dave

The angular size of the Earth would be 179.45° from an altitude of 100,000 ft. That would mean that the horizon will have dropped .0275°.

Not noticeable!

18 miles is not nearly high enough to notice any change in the horizon.

To see just a 2% bulge, which is just enough to be readily noticeable, you'd have be 1,669,947.5066 ft (509 km) above the surface.

Go HERE to see the math.

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Okay, so I'm not a mathematician!

Calculating the angular size of the Earth to determine the horizon drop DOES NOT WORK!!!!

Therefore the first three lines of my last post are totally wrong! :down:

The reason it doesn't work is because with altitude, you can see a larger and larger percentage of the Earth's surface that approaches the maximum of 50%.

In reality, the horizon drop associated with altitude is actually rather pronounced.

At 100,000 ft the horizon drop is 5.59°. 11 full moons could fit in that much drop.

That's plenty enough to be noticeable, but you'd likely still need a reference point because of the way your brain works. Your brain has spent it's entire life with the horizon at eye level and when you look at a horizon, your brain is going to tell you that it's at eye level unless you have something to reference that tells you otherwise. There are instruments on aircraft that serve this exact function because without it, pilots tend to loose altitude while thinking that they are flying flat and level.

The drop in the horizon really starts to be noticeable at around 40,000 ft where it drops by about 3.5°.

The math involved in figuring this out has to do, once again, with right triangles....

View attachment 26541

So, go HERE and input the known factors...

Side B = the radius of the Earth in feet = approximately 20,900,000 feet (trust me, any more accurate than that won't change the angle enough to worry about).
Side C = the radius of the Earth plus the altitude.

Hit the calculate button and whatever value you get for angle A is the angle at which you'd have to look down to see the horizon line (see above diagram).

Clete

Last edited:

Right Divider

Body part
Do you mean the one that was supposedly narrated by Hawking?

--Dave
The voice that you refer to is a computer generated voice and it NOT relevant to the CONTENT of the video.

This seems like the usual attempt to distract from the ACTUAL point that is clearly made in the video.

Note that this voice is NOT "the voice of Hawking" and is NOT said to be by the video.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
The voice that you refer to is a computer generated voice and it NOT relevant to the CONTENT of the video.

This seems like the usual attempt to distract from the ACTUAL point that is clearly made in the video.

Note that this voice is NOT "the voice of Hawking" and is NOT said to be by the video.

It's called tts (text to speech) narration and can be added to any video for free...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FhjfPkNp-w

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Indeed, I don't think that Dave even realizes that he has never actually heard the voice of Stephen Hawking.

But the voice is completely irrelevant to the content of the video. Dave needs better focus.

Is this Hawking narrating or not?

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Everyone

I have finished my graph.

I used graph paper with every 1/4 inch = 1 mile.

My graph is a little over 10 feet long and is 17 inches wide.

I marked a 20 mile drop at a distance of 400 miles.

I marked an elevation of 20 miles above at 0 distance.

Now I'm looking at the curved earth "to scale" of an elevation of 20 miles to 400 miles distance on my wall.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Not to my knowledge.... what difference does it make?

Are you trying to distract from the CONTENT of the video?

or do you not understand that this video demolished your "flat lake", "water finds it's own level", "flat earth" theory?

I already answered that video.

--Dave

Last edited:

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Okay, so I'm not a mathematician!

Calculating the angular size of the Earth to determine the horizon drop DOES NOT WORK!!!!

Therefore the first three lines of my last post are totally wrong! :down:

The reason it doesn't work is because with altitude, you can see a larger and larger percentage of the Earth's surface that approaches the maximum of 50%.

In reality, the horizon drop associated with altitude is actually rather pronounced.

At 100,000 ft the horizon drop is 5.59°. 11 full moons could fit in that much drop.

That's plenty enough to be noticeable, but you'd likely still need a reference point because of the way your brain works. Your brain has spent it's entire life with the horizon at eye level and when you look at a horizon, your brain is going to tell you that it's at eye level unless you have something to reference that tells you otherwise. There are instruments on aircraft that serve this exact function because without it, pilots tend to loose altitude while thinking that they are flying flat and level.

The drop in the horizon really starts to be noticeable at around 40,000 ft where it drops by about 3.5°.

The math involved in figuring this out has to do, once again, with right triangles....

View attachment 26541

So, go HERE and input the known factors...

Side B = the radius of the Earth in feet = approximately 20,900,000 feet (trust me, any more accurate than that won't change the angle enough to worry about).
Side C = the radius of the Earth plus the altitude.

Hit the calculate button and whatever value you get for angle A is the angle at which you'd have to look down to see the horizon line (see above diagram).

Clete

Now that agrees with Metabunk:

Horizon = 387.71 Miles (2047120.91 Feet)
Bulge = 5.06 Miles (26690.44 Feet)
Drop = 20.26 Miles (106967.3 Feet)
Hidden= 100.68 Feet (1208.2 Inches)
Horizon Dip = 5.593 Degrees

I did my graph in pencil now I have to finish it with a black marker so I can take a photo and post it.

--Dave

Right Divider

Body part
I already answered that video.

--Dave
You don't even know how to spell LASER.

Your explanation is nonsense Dave. They did NOT move the laser. The laser was LEVEL where they set it.

The reason that it is "pointing up" (from the perspective of the boat) is the DROP where the boat is located due to the CURVATURE of the earth.

chair

This thread gets bogged down in calculations and irrelevant questions (like who narrated a particular video), when the Flat Earth is easily disproved by simple everyday observations. You are letting Dave off the hook by discussing the math details (which he can't follow anyhow), when there is no reasonable Flat Earth explanation for sunsets, or how ships disappear over the horizon, or why we can see further from higher etc.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Now that agrees with Metabunk:

Bulge = 5.06 Miles (26690.44 Feet)
Drop = 20.26 Miles (106967.3 Feet)
Hidden= 100.68 Feet (1208.2 Inches)

I did my graph in pencil now I have to finish it with a black marker so I can take a photo and post it.

--Dave
Yes.

I was playing around with the metabunk site and decided that it was too well done for it to be likely that they would have made such a mistake as I was suggesting, so I did some more research and figured it out. Makes me glad I was willing to use their larger number for argument's sake.

It's confusing because different people on different sites use different terms for the same thing and use the same term for different things. You really have to pay close attention when people talk about horizon drop and try to use the concept to figure out how much of something should be hidden by the horizon. Most of the time they're wrong and are making the argument as though their head is on the ground.

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
This thread gets bogged down in calculations and irrelevant questions (like who narrated a particular video), when the Flat Earth is easily disproved by simple everyday observations. You are letting Dave off the hook by discussing the math details (which he can't follow anyhow), when there is no reasonable Flat Earth explanation for sunsets, or how ships disappear over the horizon, or why we can see further from higher etc.
All that stuff has been talked about in torturous detail.

And besides, how does math that proves that the Earth cannot be flat let any flat Earther off the hook?

Ask Dave whether he feels like I'm letting him off the hook.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Ships and sunsets are next.

--Dave

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Everyone

Click on each pic to see it enlarged.

View attachment 26548

First pic is the whole view of 400 mile distance with 20 mile elevation and 20 mile drop --from ground level. Youngstown Ohio to New York city is just about 400 miles.

View attachment 26549

Second pic is ground level to 6.7 commercial flight elevation and 19 mile balloon flight elevation.

View attachment 26550

Third pic is horizon point 229 miles away for 6.7 mile elevation.

Distance in Miles: 229.2

Viewer height in Feet: 35000

Distance = 229.2 Miles (1210176 Feet), View Height = 6.63 Miles (35000 Feet)

Horizon = 229.2 Miles (1210153.46 Feet)
Bulge = 1.66 Miles (8759.49 Feet)
Drop = 6.64 Miles (35060.01 Feet)
Hidden= 0 Feet (0 Inches)
Horizon Dip = 3.313 Degrees

The elevation of 6.6 miles above the ground level with a drop of 6.6 miles at the horizon point is a total drop of 13.2 miles from eye level to the horizon.

View attachment 26551

Fourth pic is horizon point 387.7 mile away for 19 mile elevation.

Distance in Miles: 387.7

Viewer height in Feet: 100000

Distance = 387.7 Miles (2047056 Feet), View Height = 18.94 Miles (100000 Feet)

Bulge = 4.75 Miles (25073.25 Feet)
Drop = 19.03 Miles (100474.31 Feet)
Hidden= None, horizon is beyond the target distance

The elevation of 19 miles above the ground level with a drop of 19 miles at the horizon point is a total drop of 38 miles from eye level to the horizon.

View attachment 26552

--Dave

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.