The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
When you say to someone, "prove me wrong", and yet, you are completely unwilling to, or incapable of, declaring what it even is to prove something, what do you really expect them to do?
I expect them to make an argument.

This is a debate forum. If there are either incapable or unwilling to do that then maybe they need to find another hobby.

I asked you what you think it is for someone to prove the proposition, P, and you never told me what you think it is. Why is that?
I don't even remember being asked the question but it doesn't matter. To prove a proposition means that you've established that either the proposition is logically necessary or that the contrary is impossible.

Do you imagine that you're the only person brilliant enough to go around pounding a fist and saying things like "I have proven that...", or, "I have given proof that...", or "Prove that...", or "You can't prove that...", or "That's no proof that..."? Lots and lots of people says those kind of things all the time.

Those who defy your petty, cosmological concerns, with their own petty, cosmological concerns, like flat-earthers and stationary-earthers....do they not go about doing exactly the same thing? They can say "See, I proved it!!!!" just as easily, as loudly, as pompously, as often, and as meaninglessly as you can. And, it all amounts to a pathetic noise, where no party can even begin to say what (if anything) they mean by terms like "prove" and "proof".
The difference being that I'm not merely saying it.

I have made arguments both refuting the lunatic nonsense that passes for arguments on the flat-earther side as well as affirmatively establishing my own claims. I have made the arguments over and over and over again and they are all still right here on this thread for anyone who's interested to read.

They have been consistently ignored and entirely unrefuted if even responded to. I am thus reduced to fist pounding. Live with it.

You never answered my question as to what, if any, difference you would say there is between proving the proposition, P, to someone, and convincing him of that proposition, P.
Again, I don't recall having been asked but I'm not sure that I would have answered anyway.

I can think of four classes of people off the top of my head in this regard...

Stupid people are convinced seemingly at random.
Dishonest people are convinced only when they want to be.
Intellectually honest people allow sound reason to persuade their mind.
Otherwise intelligent and honest people who make an error.

You can tell the difference between them by how (or whether) they engage the debate.

Obviously, only an abject idiot would claim that to prove the proposition, P, to so-and-so would be to cause so-and-so to believe P. So, unless you're an abject idiot, when you tell someone to "Prove me wrong!", you don't mean "Cause me to believe that I'm wrong!" It would be especially hilarious to watch someone who despises Calvinists for positing that God causes someone to believe something, turn around and claim that some mere man can cause another man to believe something. Can Clete cause a fellow man to believe something, but God cannot cause one of His creatures to believe something?
I think your definition of cause is unnecessarily rigid but I get the point. You however seem to not get the point....

So, then, what DO you mean when you tell someone to "Prove me wrong"? What (if anything) are you demanding that they do?
There's no convincing me that you don't already know the answer to this asinine question but...

When you tell someone to prove you wrong, you're simply challenging them to engage the debate and to make an argument. It's usually used when whomever you're talking to is pompous and arrogant, as when Soma called me a heretic. I was challenging him to establish his accusation which he stated so boldly. Of course I knew when I said that he wouldn't. Indeed, I know right now that he not only won't but can't. He wouldn't know where to start and what's more he isn't interested in finding out where to start because he isn't here to debate anything. He's here to show off his education in bible languages and that's all he's interested in doing.

When you say "I proved to you that the earth is round!", what (if anything) do you mean beyond simply reaffirming your belief that the earth is round?
I have never said, "I proved to you that the earth is round!". What I said was that I have proven that the Earth cannot possibly be flat.

And I meant precisely that. I have rationally established that it is impossible for the Earth to be flat. It is NOT flat - period. That isn't my opinion, my wish, my prayer or my desire. It is an established FACT that I have personally proven.

Obviously, you'd be more than happy to say that it has been "proven" to you that the earth is round, no?
I am more than happy to say that I (me personally) have proven that the Earth cannot be flat.

So, there was a time before it was "proven" to you, and there is a time after it has been "proven" to you, no? So, what (if anything) would you say is the difference between the relation of round-earthism to your mind before it was "proven" to and the relation of round-earthism to your mind since it was "proven" to you? Does not "proving" something have something to do with the relation of the "proved" object and the mind to which the "proved" object is "proved"?
You want to pretend to discuss epistemology when what you're really doing is playing word games.

Boring!

If you can't even begin to try to declare what it is to "prove" something, you're only making yourself into a clown by going about demanding others to "prove" something.
Once again, this is a debate forum. If you're so dumb as to not know how to make an affirmative argument then find something else to do and stop wasting my time with flat-earther stupidity.

I can see that you've spent (perhaps wasted, even) lots of time learning how to parrot minutiae from whatever it is you call "science", so that you can rage even at Christians who merely tolerate dissent from your particular dogma as to the shape of the earth. But, at the end of the day, like all the secularists and atheists I've wrangled with over the years, what it comes down to is that, you're obviously a wee pygmy when it comes to epistemology. What a stupid choice, to cherish cosmology above epistemology.
You're a liar.

You knew this entire comment was false when you stated it.

I haven't merely argued against flat-earth stupidity, I have FLATLY falsified it. You want to play word games and think you can talk me into a corner because I asked someone to prove me wrong when everyone who speaks the English language understands that doing so is just another way of telling someone to engage the debate.

Well, this isn't my first run around the track. I can tell when someone is an idiot and when someone is interested in exploring an interesting topic as an intellectual exercise and when they're not. And it isn't mere tolerance of dissent that I'm raging at. It is blatant and aggressive stupidity being passed off as a biblically valid Christian worldview.

I take your 'us', here, as meant in a "royal we" sort of way; hey, at least you admit that someone is making you look like an idiot.
Hypocrite!

Perhaps you're pushing people away from you by being so snotty toward them? Perhaps?
So long as they are flat earthers.

Clete

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Facts are meaningful. Something that is not meaningful is not a fact. When someone says "I have proven...", and they mean nothing by it, they are saying something meaningless. I'm, of course, not saying that what you're saying--"Clete HAS proven his position to be true"--is false. Rather, I'm saying that it doesn't even rise to the level of falsehood, in fact, since falsehood is not meaningless. "Clete HAS proven his position to be true" is simply meaningless, since you do not mean anything by "proven"; what you said is neither true (factual) nor false.

All you've done, here, is nothing more than to reassert that you agree with Clete about the shape of the earth.

Once again, you're just reasserting that Clete is right about the shape of the earth and that others are wrong. Look, I'm not saying that there's anything wrong with asserting, in and of itself. It's always wrong, of course, to assert falsehood. And, I'm not even saying that Clete is asserting falsehood in asserting that the earth is round. I'm simply saying that you seem to imagine that Clete--in creating 8,000+ posts in which he repeatedly professes his round-earth belief, saying "I have proven, x, y, z!"--has done something somehow more than, or better than, or to some greater effect than merely asserting, and reasserting x, y, z. And Clete's and your problem is that you have no idea how to even begin trying to describe what (if anything) that something extra might be. You cannot say what (if anything) is being effected in the event you call "proving"; you cannot say what (if any) change there is in the state of affairs from before a proposition has been "proven" to after it has been "proven". Since you can't even say what (if anything) you think it means to prove a proposition, every additional time you say "Clete has proven that the earth is round!" amounts to no more than adding another exclamation mark, as follows:

"Clete has proven that the earth is round!"
"Clete has proven that the earth is round!!"
"Clete has proven that the earth is round!!!"
"Clete has proven that the earth is round!!!!"
and so on....​

Actually, what it really reduces to is that, every time you say "Clete has proven that the earth is round!", you may as well save yourself a few syllables and just say "The earth is round!", since you really are saying no more than just that.

I agree. Saying "X is so" does not make X so, and saying "X is not so" does not make X not so. And, of course, saying "Saying 'X is so' does not make X so" does not make X not so.

That "more" that you say Clete has done....that's exactly the thing I've asked about, numerous times: What is it for Clete to have (as you and he say) "proven" that he is right? So far, neither you, nor he, nor anybody else, has answered that question; in fact, you said that it is "unnecessary" to answer it. You say that because you know that you cannot answer the question, but it's obviously far easier to say "It is unnecessary to answer it" than to admit "I cannot answer it."

Witnesses, though, to what, beyond that Clete believes the earth is round, and that Clete says "I have proven that the earth is round", without being the least bit able to say what (if anything) he means by "proven", "prove", "proof", etc.? Obviously, you will not want to say that, whenever you say someone has "proven" the proposition, P, what you mean is that "they have created 8,000+ posts in a forum proving the proposition, P". For, then you will have just tried to use the very term you were asked to explain, to explain the term you were asked to explain, which will be to fail to explain the term you were asked to explain. You may as well just say, "To prove the proposition, P, is to prove the proposition, P!" And, of course, to do that will be of no use to anybody.

Not only is Clete a boisterous (perhaps even cheerless) cheer-leader for his round-earth claims, but he is also a hotheaded inquisitor toward not only those Christians who contradict his position, but even to those Christians who--like [MENTION=14978]PneumaPsucheSoma[/MENTION]--without contradicting Clete's position, merely express skepticism toward it, and toleration for those who do contradict Clete's claims.

Lots of people, in all sorts of debates, on all sorts of topics, say "I back up my claims" or "He backs up his claims", just like you are saying "Clete backs up his claims". Round-earth people say "I back up my claims." So what? Flat-earth people say the same thing. So, what do you do, at that point? Do you say, "No, you don't!"? Why, they just turn right around and rejoin, "Yes, I do; you are the one who does not back up your claims!" Such a scene is quite pitiful in its childishness, and its endless uselessness. Frustration stemming from a sense of the futility of such a pointless exchange leads someone like Clete to react angrily:

"I find no satisfaction in simply repeating, over and over,'I have proven that the earth is round'; perhaps I shall find some satisfaction in resorting to copping an air of righteous indignation against my fellow Christians who don't take my word for it that the earth is round!!!!!!"​

I notice that you introduce another term, here, besides "prove": "back up". Clete "backs up" his claims, you say. Is Clete's "proving" his claims the same as Clete's "backing up" his claims? If not, then what would you say is the difference? But, in order to answer that question, you'd have to be able to answer the question I've been asking: What is proving? Obviously, since you can't say what (if anything) proving is (and, so far neither you, nor anybody else, has even tried to do so), you'd be doubly up a creek without a paddle, were you to try to say how "backing up a claim" is different from "proving a claim".

The proof that you're a troll who's just talking out his ear is the fact that I have never claimed to have proven that the Earth is round.

Never once have I made that claim.

Not one single time.

Ever.

You've not read virtually any (if any at all) of this thread, have you? You've gotten your feelings hurt because I wasn't nice to the abject idiot who spent years of his life intensely investigating whether or not the Earth is at the center of the solar system. You think I'm just a meany and wanted to come running to the rescue because you thought that since you had taken a philosophy 101 course that you were smarter than me but were actually incapable of figuring what is meant when someone gets challenged to "prove me wrong".

:rotfl:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
You would have a point, if it weren't for the fact, yes, FACT, that Clete HAS proven his position to be true.

The threads are still there for everyone to read. That you won't shows you're not willing concede that Clete can and has backed up his claim that his position is true, and that the flat earth position is false.

I agree, anyone can claim that they're right, and that in and of itself doesn't make it so.

But Clete can do more than just claim that his position is correct, because he has already done just that. The more than 8 thousand posts in the two threads combined are his witnesses.

Clete is anything BUT a "cheer leader" for his position, because he has the posts to back up his claims.

Exactly! I've spent probably hundreds of hours at this point making direct and substantive arguments. Some simply refute major points on the other side or make substantive affirmative arguments in favor of a globe Earth but would not qualify as "proof" but others are legitimate and utterly irrefutable proof that the Earth is not flat.

And I'm by no means the only one who has done so. Not only are there others such as yourself who have made excellent posts, which never get responded to with any substance but several people, including myself have posted video after video that do indeed prove that the Earth is a globe. Those also are ignored.

Jengo wants to pretend that this thread is nothing but a bunch of cats hissing at each other over nothing but he is pretending. He knows better. And even if that's wrong and he doesn't know better, who cares? Either way, at the end of the day, it's people like you and me who have the truth on our side and will be left standing.

Clete

7djengo7

This space intentionally left blank
I expect them to make an argument.

So, by "prove", you mean nothing more than "make an argument"? When you say "Prove that X is the case," you mean nothing more than "[Make an argument] that X is the case"? If you do mean something more than that, then what is it?

This is a debate forum. If there are either incapable or unwilling to do that then maybe they need to find another hobby.

So, you consider raging against Christians who don't take your word for it that the earth is round a hobby?

I don't even remember being asked the question but it doesn't matter. To prove a proposition means that you've established that either the proposition is logically necessary or that the contrary is impossible.

What (if anything) would you say is the difference between proving the proposition, P, and establishing the proposition, P? Would you not be willing to rewrite the sentence you just wrote thus:

"To prove a proposition means that you've [proven] that either the proposition is logically necessary or that the contrary is impossible"?

Obviously, to say that would be completely useless. You'd have failed to answer the question, "What is it to prove a proposition?" You would be saying no more than that to prove one proposition is to prove another, different proposition. The question remains unanswered: What is it to prove a proposition?

So, obviously you will not want to say that to establish a proposition is the same thing as to prove the proposition, if you wish to get any use out of saying "To prove a proposition means that you've established that..."

The difference being that I'm not merely saying it.

But, that's exactly what your opponents will say, with as much ease as you say it. And then, all you'll do is say "But they're wrong when they say it, and I'm right when I say it!" And then, your opponents will say, "No. On the contrary, Clete, you're wrong when you say it, and I'm right when I say it!" And, that sort of pointless game could go on, indefinitely. Like I said in my previous post, the best you'll get out of that sort of exchange is a war, the winner of which is the combatant who can marshal enough exclamation points to his command. And, on the internet, especially, such ordnance is quite cheap, and, for all intents and purposes, infinitely plentiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have made arguments both refuting the lunatic nonsense that passes for arguments on the flat-earther side...

One from the flat-earther side can, just as easily, fire right back at you:

"I have made arguments both refuting the lunatic nonsense that passes for arguments on the round-earther side..."​

...as well as affirmatively establishing my own claims.

Would you say that "affirmatively establishing my own claims" is any different than "affirmatively proving my own claims"? If so, remember that, so far, you've not been able to answer the question, "What is proving?" So, even if you could answer the question, "What is establishing?", you still couldn't say what (if any) difference there is between establishing and proving, since you can't say what proving is.

I have made the arguments over and over and over again and they are all still right here on this thread for anyone who's interested to read.

And, for one simply to read something that you've written is for you to have proven what you've written is true?

They have been consistently ignored and entirely unrefuted if even responded to.

What you say about the things you call your "arguments" is what flat-earthers would say, to you, about the things they call their "arguments". Flat-earthers would say that you have consistently ignored and failed to refute what they call their "arguments"

I am thus reduced to fist pounding.

Hotheaded flat-earthers would, also, say that you have reduced them to fist pounding.

Live with it.

Will do, and with much ataraxia.

Again, I don't recall having been asked but I'm not sure that I would have answered anyway.

Oh, well, so much for telling people to "Read the thread", I guess. I asked you:

What (if anything) would you say is the difference between proving the proposition, P, to someone, and convincing them of the proposition, P?

And, your response was:

That depends on the person. Stupid people cannot be convinced of anything that they don't want to believe.

Dishonest people are worse. They knowingly choose to ignore proofs against their position.

Intellectually honest people are convinced by the only means the human mind has for understanding anything, that being sound reason.

Christians are particularly without excuse in this regard. They have no reason to fear the truth and yet these asinine flat earthers refuse to allow sound reason to persuade their minds and they do so in the name of Christianity! It is foolish to the point of being sinful.

So, you're right: you did not answer the question I asked you.

I can think of four classes of people off the top of my head in this regard...

Stupid people are convinced seemingly at random.
Dishonest people are convinced only when they want to be.
Intellectually honest people allow sound reason to persuade their mind.
Otherwise intelligent and honest people who make an error.

You can tell the difference between them by how (or whether) they engage the debate.

Unfortunately, I did not ask you about different sorts of people and stuff. I was asking about the sine qua non of whatever it is you call "convincing". When you say that a person (whoever he or she may be, whether he or she is "stupid", "intellectually honest", "convinced seemingly at random", "otherwise intelligent", 7' tall, 35 years old, mustachioed, etc.) has been "convinced" of the proposition, P, what (if anything) are you saying is the case? What (if anything) would you say has occurred, in every case that a person has been convinced of the proposition, P, that has caused that person to go from being not convinced to being convinced?

I think your definition of cause is unnecessarily rigid but I get the point. You however seem to not get the point....

Do you, or do you not, think that, for the proposition, P, to be proved to whomever the proposition, P, is proved to, is for that person to go from not believing the proposition, P, to believing it?

Do you, or do you not, think that, for whomever becomes convinced of the proposition, P, the convincing of that person of the proposition, P, is for that person to go from not believing P to believing P?

There's no convincing me that you don't already know the answer to this asinine question but...

Questions that you can't answer are always asinine, aren't they?

When you tell someone to prove you wrong, you're simply challenging them to engage the debate and to make an argument.

So, according to you, to make an argument is to prove something? By argument, do you mean something like:

All men are morons,
Socrates is a man,
Therefore, Socrates is a moron?​

Is that not an argument? And, to make that argument, then, is to prove something? To prove what? That Socrates is a moron?

Here is another argument:

The earth is flat,
Ergo, The earth is flat.​

Would you say that, by making that argument--that valid argument--one is proving that the earth is flat? Of course you wouldn't, since your program is to say that the earth is not flat. Saying that to make an argument is to prove something, then, seems like a dead end street in any attempt to say what proving is. Wouldn't you agree?

It's usually used when whomever you're talking to is pompous and arrogant, as when Soma called me a heretic.

I, for one, never use it...at least, so long as I have my thinking cap on, and am striving to be as consistent as possible with my personal principles, I do not use it. And, I'm quite used to talking to pompous and arrogant people--well, at least on forums.

He's here to show off his education in bible languages and that's all he's interested in doing.

Well, I'm definitely not unsympathetic with you on that point. That's not to say that I, personally, have had much experience with [MENTION=14978]PneumaPsucheSoma[/MENTION]; I can't vouch for whether or not that's what he does (either some or all of the time), and I couldn't say that that is what "he's here" for. (He says some pretty interesting stuff sometimes...sometimes a bit of peculiar terminology I don't remember having previously encountered. For instance, in some post, he used a very specific theological term, 'aeviternal', that I had to go look up.)

Anyway, indeed, it is quite annoying when people (at least so long as they try to use it as a crutch in opposing you on some point) do that sort of thing--especially on internet forums, where, for all anyone knows, the "Professor" is merely a very rudimentary smatterer (like me) at the original languages, and just quick-witted enough, and smart at manipulating Bible language software tools for their purposes....I mean, even that's worth something, too, when it's not used for trying to awe others. But, I say, and I'm sure you'll agree, that it is quite easy to see that such a thing can often be a mere ploy, and a crutch, in the hands of an opponent who knows he/she needs some sort of artificial edge to try to come out of a debate looking less scratched up than he/she might have done without the help of all the majesty of his/her supposed academic achievement.

I have never said, "I proved to you that the earth is round!". What I said was that I have proven that the Earth cannot possibly be flat.

Oh? And why have you never said that? You believe that the earth is round, no? Are you not willing to say "I can prove that the earth is round"? If not, why not? You demand that all Christians believe, with you, that the earth is round, but you're not willing to say "I have proven, and can prove, that the earth is round"? When a flat-earther Christian says, to you, "Prove that the earth is round, Clete!", what do you say? Do you say, "I can't prove that! I can only prove that it is not flat, but I demand that you believe that it is round, because I say it's round! And, if you don't, I will excommunicate you, thundering down from my lofty throne of wisdom!"

And I meant precisely that. I have rationally established that it is impossible for the Earth to be flat. It is NOT flat - period. That isn't my opinion, my wish, my prayer or my desire. It is an established FACT that I have personally proven.

But, the flat-earther can say, with equal ease, and with an appearance of earnestness and solemnity equal to your appearance of earnestness and solemnity, that

"I have rationally established that it is impossible for the Earth to [not] be flat. It [IS] flat - period. That isn't my opinion, my wish, my prayer or my desire. It is an established FACT that I have personally proven."​

I am more than happy to say that I (me personally) have proven that the Earth cannot be flat.

Whatever. So, would you not be willing to say, "It has been proved to me that the Earth cannot be flat"?

You want to pretend to discuss epistemology when what you're really doing is playing word games.

You do not think that trying to get to the bottom of whether or not terms like "prove", "proof", "establish", "convince", etc. are meaningful (and, if they are, what, precisely is meant by them) is relevant to epistemology? You know, it is interesting how much you think like atheists, and other assorted anti-Christian people do. In past times, I've asked very similar questions of many such persons, and your reactions to my questions have been very reminiscent of their reactions to my questions. The "You're just playing word games" shtick is a very common one that they would use. In reality, it's quite the other way around: you're the one playing a game with words. Guessing games: "Try to guess what I mean when I say 'I have proven that....', because I'm not gonna tell you what I mean!" "Just try to guess what I'm requesting you to do when I say 'Prove it!', 'cause it's a secret!"

Well, the exclamation point sure spices things up, doesn't it?

Once again, this is a debate forum. If you're so dumb as to not know how to make an affirmative argument then find something else to do and stop wasting my time with flat-earther stupidity.

If you're so dumb as to not know how to answer simple questions about certain terms that you seem to cherish, and enjoy parroting, such as "prove", "proof", "establish", "convince", etc., well, then....you're wasting your own time by parroting them.

You're a liar.

No, really, it's true: you fail, dismally, at epistemology. That being the case, you cannot but fail, at the most fundamental level, at any other subject--cosmology, for instance. There is no possible way that it can ever be rational to think that cosmology trumps epistemology in importance to mankind. There is no way that an attempt to study the heaven and the earth will ever be more valuable to mankind than the attempt to study mankind--especially the attempt to study God's gift of our rational mind and what it does and is meant to do.

You knew this entire comment was false when you stated it.

Well, saying things like what you just said is a common way for someone in your position to try (in futility) to save face.

I haven't merely argued against flat-earth stupidity, I have FLATLY falsified it.

What satisfaction do you get from saying that? A flat-earther can, just as easily, and just as earnestly, say to you:

"I haven't merely argued against [round-earth] stupidity, I have FLATLY falsified it."

You want to play word games and think you can talk me into a corner...

Oh, but I don't think I can talk--or have talked--you into any corner; I've simply watched you talk yourself into a corner, and I've been commentating upon the spectacle of your pride in having stuck yourself in that corner.

...because I asked someone to prove me wrong when everyone who speaks the English language understands that doing so is just another way of telling someone to engage the debate.

So, whenever anybody does whatever it is you call "engaging the debate", you tell them "You've proved me wrong"? Nice.

Well, this isn't my first run around the track.

Which means that you've been going in a circle, perhaps hundreds?, or thousands? of times around without, in all that journey, learning how to think any better, or more rigorously, than you did when you started. Not really something to boast on.

I can tell when someone is an idiot...

Apparently not always.

And it isn't mere tolerance of dissent that I'm raging at. It is blatant and aggressive stupidity being passed off as a biblically valid Christian worldview.

Your un-Biblical worldview is that debating about the shape of the earth and raging at your opponents is far more important than epistemology.

Hypocrite!

Hippopotamus!

Christians are particularly without excuse in this regard. They have no reason to fear the truth and yet these asinine flat earthers refuse to allow sound reason to persuade their minds and they do so in the name of Christianity! It is foolish to the point of being sinful.

So, the Christians you're talking about--of these, who believe the earth is flat, you're saying that they "fear the truth"? What truth? The thing that you are telling them is "the truth", that the earth is not flat? Are you saying that those people believe that the proposition that the earth is not flat is "the truth", but that they fear it? Obviously, they believe that what you call "the truth" is NOT the truth, but rather, is falsehood. Why, then, would you say that they "fear" something they consider to be falsehood? Would you say that you fear what you consider to be falsehood? The flat-earther Christians, they say that what you call "the truth"--the proposition that the earth is not flat--is a falsehood; do you fear the proposition that the earth is flat, which proposition you consider to be a falsehood?

If you, and others, really wish to try to burn bridges with other Christians over something as petty as their disagreeing with you about the shape of the earth, hey, knock yourself out. I imagine that there are, perhaps, some flat-earth Christians out there who indulge in the same pettiness, from their standpoint, as you are doing, from your standpoint, who would reciprocally claim that y'all are willfully promoting something that is a damaging blight on Christianity, and that you should be shunned until you come to see things their way. Well, don't worry about it though--it's no big deal in the eyes of some of us out here (shape-of-the earth-skeptics, like [MENTION=14978]PneumaPsucheSoma[/MENTION] and myself, and even others who are partisans, but tolerant, and other Christians who don't care a whit about the question) who are, thankfully, above such pettiness; you can try to burn your bridge with us, but you won't succeed, since, at the end of the day, you're our Christian brethren!

7djengo7

Exactly! I've spent probably hundreds of hours at this point making direct and substantive arguments. Some simply refute major points on the other side or make substantive affirmative arguments in favor of a globe Earth but would not qualify as "proof" but others are legitimate and utterly irrefutable proof that the Earth is not flat.

And I'm by no means the only one who has done so. Not only are there others such as yourself who have made excellent posts, which never get responded to with any substance but several people, including myself have posted video after video that do indeed prove that the Earth is a globe. Those also are ignored.

Jengo wants to pretend that this thread is nothing but a bunch of cats hissing at each other over nothing but he is pretending. He knows better. And even if that's wrong and he doesn't know better, who cares? Either way, at the end of the day, it's people like you and me who have the truth on our side and will be left standing.

Clete

If I "know better"--if I, and all others who are skeptics, and all who are deniers of your position know what you pretend to know, that the earth is round--then, how manifestly stupid it is for you to say that we are fools for disagreeing with you. Were it the case that we know that the earth is round, then, obviously, we are not disagreeing with you. And, if we are not disagreeing with you, then it could not be true that we are fools for disagreeing with you.

And, if we "know better"--if we know the "truth" that you pretend to know, then we all have the "truth" that the earth is round on our side, don't we? We're all on the same side, aren't we? ;)

Last edited:

7djengo7

The proof that you're a troll who's just talking out his ear is the fact that I have never claimed to have proven that the Earth is round.

Not one single time.

Ever.

Why haven't you? That's hilarious! So, you demand that other Christians, under threat of juvenile name-calling and excommunication, believe your claim that the Earth is round, yet you can't even say "I have proven my claim that the Earth is round"!

So, why should anybody come to agree with you in your claim that the earth is round? Just because you claim that it is, right?

You shot yourself in the foot, again. :)

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
Why haven't you? That's hilarious! So, you demand that other Christians, under threat of juvenile name-calling and excommunication, believe your claim that the Earth is round, yet you can't even say "I have proven my claim that the Earth is round"!

So, why should anybody come to agree with you in your claim that the earth is round? Just because you claim that it is, right?

You shot yourself in the foot, again. :)
The discussion was on whether the earth is FLAT, not if it's round.
[MENTION=2589]Clete[/MENTION] proved that the earth was NOT FLAT.

Aimiel

Have you read my post where I prove with 8th grade level math that the Earth cannot be flat?
No, but I read about Pythagoras' experiment (I also posted a description of it in this thread) which proved it to me. I do, however, believe that the earth is fixed and immobile.

PneumaPsucheSoma

TOL Subscriber
Djengo7: Well, I'm definitely not unsympathetic with you on that point. That's not to say that I, personally, have had much experience with [MENTION=14978]PneumaPsucheSoma[/MENTION]; I can't vouch for whether or not that's what he does (either some or all of the time), and I couldn't say that that is what "he's here" for. (He says some pretty interesting stuff sometimes...sometimes a bit of peculiar terminology I don't remember having previously encountered. For instance, in some post, he used a very specific theological term, 'aeviternal', that I had to go look up.)

I’m not here just to display my knowledge of languages, or whatever Clete insisted.

In fact, the real issue seems to be that Clete considers the forum format to be exculsively for debate, whereas I was merely making discussion comments without engaging in debate whatsoever.

This, more than anything, is Clete’s problem. He thinks everyone who comments is trying to engage in debate.

For instance, he repeatedly insisted that I’m a moron/idiot/lunatic/whatever else if I had to spend 2 years researching geocentricity to deterimine if it was accurate. But I was like everyone else who had always just accepted the status quo, so I had to spend quite a bit of time researching heliocentricity itself. I had no idea what red shift and stellar parallax were, just like many other things; so I had to get up to speed on the history and technical details of what has become the default standard of cosmology. That’s not the same thing as he inferred in the least.

And I did all of this at the behest of a good friend who is a physicist, and he insisted I equip myself without bias to consider the plausibility of a version of geocentricity that most aren’t familiar with. And it was his insistence that it ultimately comes down to a coin flip based upon initial predisposition; so I engage in a thorough comparison while divesting all bias to the best of my ability of retaining neutrality (much as I have done with Christian doctrinal dichotomies).

Clete is uncharitable, to say the least; and I’ve put him on ignore. Maybe he’s proven or disproven the earth’s configuration. He has no credibiility based upon his other doctrinal positions, which are heterodox or heretical.

And he has no knowledge of the antichrist powers that control this world through various cabals and other structures, so he would never see intentional deceit by any organization or government as anything but crazy conspiracy theory. But that just his agendaphobia.

I don’t trust the entirety of neo-empirical institutional science as it’s no longer Philologically based. That doesn’t mean an all-or-nothing dichotomy of accepting all of science or none of it.

Anyway, it’s good to see you posting these kinds of things. Have a great weekend.

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER

Fallacy of relativity

In this video Sam Gralla, Assistant professor of physics at the University of Arizona lectures on his work on the measurement of gravity waves. This is not a video about flat earth. I'm only concerned with his comments on the speed of light that begin at 5:13 and end at 6:43.

After stating there is a universal speed limit--the speed of light, at which nothing can travel as fast, Sam explains the difference between actual and relativistic speed as calculated by physicists. If you're in a car going 60 mph and passing a car going 60 mph in the opposite direction the speed at which you and it is moving "relative" to each other is 120 mph. V = V1 + V2

The problem with this way of calculating speed is that it's saying the cars that are moving at 60 mph are also moving at 120 miles an hour at the same time, which is impossible. One could also say, based on this absurdity, that as you drive 60 mph, cars parked on the side of the road are also going 60 mph while, at the same time, they are not moving at all.

Professor Gralla is correct when he says that once the two cars pass each other at 60 mph, both will travel in opposite directions 60 miles in one hour, and that 60 plus 60 is 120. But he then states that 120 miles in an hour is equal to 120 mph as if both cars traveled 120 miles each which is not true. Both cars, from the same starting point going in opposite directions will be 120 miles apart but both will have only traveled 60 miles and will only have been going 60 mph, not 120 mph.

--Dave

Right Divider

Body part

Fallacy of relativity

In this video Sam Gralla, Assistant professor of physics at the University of Arizona lectures on his work on the measurement of gravity waves. This is not a video about flat earth. I'm only concerned with his comments on the speed of light that begin at 5:13 and end at 6:43.

After stating there is a universal speed limit--the speed of light, at which nothing can travel as fast, Sam explains the difference between actual and relativistic speed as calculated by physicists. If you're in a car going 60 mph and passing a car going 60 mph in the opposite direction the speed at which you and it is moving "relative" to each other is 120 mph. V = V1 + V2

The problem with this way of calculating speed is that it's saying the cars that are moving at 60 mph are also moving at 120 miles an hour at the same time, which is impossible. One could also say, based on this absurdity, that as you drive 60 mph, cars parked on the side of the road are also going 60 mph while, at the same time, they are not moving at all.

Professor Gralla is correct when he says that once the two cars pass each other at 60 mph, both will travel in opposite directions 60 miles in one hour, and that 60 plus 60 is 120. But he then states that 120 miles in an hour is equal to 120 mph as if both cars traveled 120 miles each which is not true. Both cars, from the same starting point going in opposite directions will be 120 miles apart but both will have only traveled 60 miles and will only have been going 60 mph, not 120 mph.

--Dave
So, even now, you still cannot understand that ALL OBSERVATIONS are from SOME CHOSEN POINT?

From the POINT of view of a stationary observer, both card are going 60 MPH... from the POINT of view of EITHER car the OTHER car is moving away at 120 MPH.

I'm ashamed for you Dave. This is grade school stuff and yet you cannot understand it.

7djengo7

The discussion was on whether the earth is FLAT, not if it's round.

Sad, futile cop-out--and false.

Seriously, the claim that the earth is round is, to your mind, not relevant to the claim that the earth is flat? Who started this thread?

The earth is flat and we never went to the moon--Part II
Started by DFT_Dave, March 8th, 2018 06:10 PM

And, what did [MENTION=4980]DFT_Dave[/MENTION] write, in his thread-starting post?

4. Everything we know about a globed earth and heliocentric universe is as "imagined" as Einstein's relative space/time universe.

See that? Right there, at the beginning of this thread that DFT_Dave (and neither you, nor Clete) started, DFT_Dave challenges Clete's and your dogma that the earth is round. Right there, he claims that the earth is not round--that it is not "globed". Do you wish to pretend to think that that's not what DFT_Dave was claiming? Do you wish to pretend to think that DFT_Dave was not denying that the earth is round?

When you say "the discussion was on...", to what are you referring, if not this thread? Y'all keep imperiously demanding those who won't take Clete's word for it that the world is not flat to "read the thread"; well, that's rank hypocrisy, inasmuch as you obviously did not even read DFT_Dave's thread-starting post. DFT_Dave was not merely attacking Clete's and your dogma that the earth is, as you say, "NOT FLAT"; no, he was going all the way, and attacking your dogma that the earth is round.

So, yeah, the discussion was, among other things, on whether the earth is round. Yet, where has Professor Clete been?

...I have never claimed to have proven that the Earth is round.

Not one single time.

Ever.

Here, Clete even appears to be boasting in claiming that he has "never claimed to have proven" the very proposition which DFT_Dave, in the thread-starting post, claimed to be false, viz., Clete's very own, cherished dogma that the earth is round. It's rather funny, when you think about it: on the one hand, Clete is proud of himself for going about saying "I have proven that the earth is not flat", and, on the other hand, Clete is equally proud of himself for going about saying "I have never claimed to have proven that the Earth is round." Clete, here, is proud of himself in being able to confess that he has never once stood up to DFT_Dave's challenge to Clete's round-earth dogma, not one single time.

Ever.

So, no. The question has not gone away at all: WHY has Clete "never claimed to have proven that the Earth is round"? The question has, on the contrary, been aggravated; it is in the light of the fact that the claim that the earth is round has been (from at least the first post of this very thread) challenged that Clete says he has "never claimed to have proven that the Earth is round".

DFT_Dave

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
So, even now, you still cannot understand that ALL OBSERVATIONS are from SOME CHOSEN POINT?

From the POINT of view of a stationary observer, both card are going 60 MPH... from the POINT of view of EITHER car the OTHER car is moving away at 120 MPH.

I'm ashamed for you Dave. This is grade school stuff and yet you cannot understand it.

There's only one velocity for each car and only one way to determine it. Even in grade school you know that much.

Which ever car your in, it's going 60 mph, not 120 mph. The car your're not in is not going 120 mph in the opposite direction.

This 120 mph breaks the first logical rule of identity, a thing is what it is and not something else. In physics the equation V=V1+V2 is not logical/rational.

The speed/velocity of a car "is" distance traveled over time, not distance over time plus distance over time of another car going in the opposite direction.

Physicists abandoned logic with Einstein in order to preserve the heliocentric model.

--Dave

chair

There's only one velocity for each car and only one way to determine it. Even in grade school you know that much.

Which ever car your in, it's going 60 mph, not 120 mph. The car your're not in is not going 120 mph in the opposite direction.

This 120 mph breaks the first logical rule of identity, a thing is what it is and not something else. In physics the equation V=V1+V2 is not logical/rational.

The speed/velocity of a car "is" distance traveled over time, not distance over time plus distance over time of another car going in the opposite direction.

Physicists abandoned logic with Einstein in order to preserve the heliocentric model.

--Dave

Dave,

You are simply wrong, on two points:
1. Each car is travelling at 60 mph, from the viewpoint of somebody standing on the ground. Each car is travelling at 120 mph, from the viewpoint of a driver in the other car. This really is grade school stuff.
2. The two cars are travelling 120 mph relative to each other- but this is not connected in any way to Einstein or the Theory of Relativity, despite the term "relative" I used above. This is classical mechanics.

If you love God, study the Nature He created a little more seriously.

Status
Not open for further replies.