The Rump Congress and the Christmas Coup

rexlunae

Put it front of a grand jury,

On what theory? How do you explain away the testimony that contradicts the crime you're trying to prove? You can't just throw that out because it's inconvenient.

the emails never should have been slated for demo from the get go.

No, but there's also no evidence that they were intentionally destroyed in order to prevent them from being disclosed, either.

There were work related emails in there. So she broke the law when she didn't turn them over the first time.

She broke policy. Big difference.

This whole story came down to the testimony of two nobody's no one cares about at the level of high politics. I think that's why it's so hard for people to believe them. But what they said matters, and it would be unethical to ignore it in the service of a political agenda or a conspiracy theory.

rexlunae

[h=1]Republicans turn focus to FBI's McCabe over texts on 'insurance' against Trump[/h]
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/201...be-over-texts-on-insurance-against-trump.html

Top Republicans are turning their focus to FBI Deputy Director Andrew McCabe as they scrutinize a host of anti-Trump texts exchanged between two bureau officials, raising questions about one in particular that seemed to reference an “insurance policy” against a Trump presidency.

That text was revealed on Tuesday night when the Justice Department released hundreds of messages between FBI officials Peter Strzok and Lisa Page, who were romantically involved and at one point worked on Robert Mueller's Russia probe.

“I want to believe the path you threw out for consideration in Andy’s office - that there’s no way he gets elected - but I’m afraid we can’t take that risk,” Strzok texted on Aug. 15, 2016. “It’s like an insurance policy in the unlikely event you die before you’re 40.”
Some lawmakers surmise "Andy" is a reference to Andrew McCabe, and now want to know about his communications with Page and Strzok.
“This [text] is the one that concerns me the most,” House Judiciary Committee Chairman Bob Goodlatte, R-Va., said on “Fox & Friends” Thursday, one day after Deputy Attorney General Rod Rosenstein defended the Mueller probe in testimony before Goodlatte's committee.
“Andy is presumably Andrew McCabe ... and this text is very troubling because it suggests that they’re doing something, they have a plan to take action to make sure that Donald Trump does not get elected president of the United States at the highest levels of the Federal Bureau of Investigation.”

Members of Congress are now digging through the personal text messages of FBI agents, not looking for evidence of crimes, or breaches of policy, or ethical breaches, but evidence of political disconformity. This is the real witch hunt. It is completely legitimate for FBI agents to have political opinions, and to discuss them with other people. It's not legitimate for members of Congress to then leak those private communications to the press.

fool

Hall of Fame
Members of Congress are now digging through the personal text messages of FBI agents, not looking for evidence of crimes, or breaches of policy, or ethical breaches, but evidence of political disconformity. This is the real witch hunt. It is completely legitimate for FBI agents to have political opinions, and to discuss them with other people. It's not legitimate for members of Congress to then leak those private communications to the press.

The guy investigating Clinton's e-mail has a plan B for in case Trump wins?
That's not a political opinion. That's a plan.

rexlunae

And he was an idiot. Put it in front of a grand jury.

Look fool. You wanna talk about last-year's conspiracy theories about Hillary Clinton, please take it elsewhere. That's not what this thread is about. I don't know if you realize this, but she lost the election, and isn't even in power. Best case, you revive an issue against a lady who used to be Secretary of State, a Senator, and First Lady. I know, she's still for some reason a bottomless fount of hatred for some people, but I truly don't care about her. I've entertained your somewhat off-base questions, given you what I think are pretty reasonable answers based in facts and evidence, and the bottom line seems to be that you aren't really that interested in anything that might spoil your beloved conspiracy theory. Can we talk about things that are happening this year now please?

Incidentally, in case you think to wonder, I am conscious of the fact that what I am presenting is, itself, a conspiracy theory. But I also think it's the rare conspiracy theory likely to turn out to be true. If you have even the slightest evidence that I'm wrong, I am extremely interested in it. But, I really don't care if all you have is a Clinton distraction.

rexlunae

The guy investigating Clinton's e-mail has a plan B for in case Trump wins?

I don't know about him, but I sure have one. It involves BitCoin and keeping my passport up to date. What do you think theirs is?

So?

That's not a political opinion. That's a plan.

And just let your mind run wild with all the things it could be.

There's also nothing illegitimate about government employees worrying amongst themselves about how their jobs will be impacted by an election. They might even recognize a risk that there is an element of the election that might force them to make hard decisions. Like if, say, one of the candidates appears to be within the scope of the duties of those government employees as a subject of an investigation.

Out of context, we can only guess. But I would bet dollars to doughnuts that all sorts of conversations about the election were happening all over the government, as they were all over the country in general, as the 2016 election rolled along. Doesn't suggest wrongdoing, but it sure is convenient for members of Congress looking to smear them.

Consider Sally Yates, who learned, through her official duties that Michael Flynn was dirty. She fell on her sword to serve her country and do her duty. Everyone in the FBI knows, especially at the high levels, that they could find themselves facing the same decision, I promise you.

rexlunae

Somehow, Republicans haven't been willing to subpoena witnesses in the investigation into Russian election interference, even when witnesses have refused to answer questions, or when they've invoked privileges that do not exist. Do you think they will be so restrained when they try to acquire the text messages of FBI agents that they want to discredit?

Who cares about the security of our elections and our ability to elect our own government when we're busily smearing career law enforcement officials?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
It is completely legitimate to contact the Russians (or any country in the world) when you are an incoming administration, which is the only communication found by Mueller. Why Flynn lied about it is anybody's guess but they already had the illegally ordered FISA warrant wiretaps on Flynn before they asked questions (without a lawyer present for Flynn).

What's illegitimate is the Fake Evidence used to spy on the opposition party during an election. What's illegitimate is an FBI agent texting on a work phone to another FBI employee while committing adultery with her. Texting things like: "I will save the country. I can do that on many levels". "We need an insurance policy to stop Trump from being President" - things like that rex. This guy was a LEAD investigator of Clinton, Flynn, Trump and I think the Fake Russian Dossier used to start this whole Fake investigation.

You have shown repeatedly that you think the FBI and Mueller and the demonrats are above the law, should never be investigated and that it's OK to do anything necessary to depose a President that has done nothing wrong, broken no laws and won an election that was rigged against him. I'm afraid it's really going to hurt you deeply when the truth comes out, rex.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Consider Sally Yates, who learned, through her official duties that Michael Flynn was dirty. She fell on her sword to serve her country and do her duty. Everyone in the FBI knows, especially at the high levels, that they could find themselves facing the same decision, I promise you.
Yes, consider Sally Yates who went on an unmasking spree during 2016 election year. What position did she hold? I remember that the consensus was that she had no business doing it, but she could since Obama expanded Top Secret Intelligence information to be shared by many multiple government departments. Obama did that during the 2016 election year after 7 plus years of not doing that. Official duties my rump.

fool

Hall of Fame
Look fool. You wanna talk about last-year's conspiracy theories about Hillary Clinton, please take it elsewhere. That's not what this thread is about. I don't know if you realize this, but she lost the election, and isn't even in power. Best case, you revive an issue against a lady who used to be Secretary of State, a Senator, and First Lady. I know, she's still for some reason a bottomless fount of hatred for some people, but I truly don't care about her. I've entertained your somewhat off-base questions, given you what I think are pretty reasonable answers based in facts and evidence, and the bottom line seems to be that you aren't really that interested in anything that might spoil your beloved conspiracy theory. Can we talk about things that are happening this year now please?
Yes, let's talk about this year where the Clinton fan who interviewed Clinton on her e-mails and has a plan B in case Trump wins in on the Russia investigation while not busy diddling his co-worker.
Let's talk about that.
Maybe we should re-interview Clinton not by one of her fans that has already decided how it's gonna turn out.

Incidentally, in case you think to wonder, I am conscious of the fact that what I am presenting is, itself, a conspiracy theory.
Trump definitely has a conspiracy to drain the swamp.
But I also think it's the rare conspiracy theory likely to turn out to be true. If you have even the slightest evidence that I'm wrong, I am extremely interested in it. But, I really don't care if all you have is a Clinton distraction.
Do you think there's a deep state loyal to the establishment that's trying to stop Trump?

rexlunae

It is completely legitimate to contact the Russians (or any country in the world) when you are an incoming administration, which is the only communication found by Mueller.

You don't know the extent of what Mueller has found, but what we do know is damning for the senior officials involved. The shear number of them are suggestive. Only political affinity can demand that the process be aborted now.

Are you that afraid of what Mueller might uncover? Trump acts guilty. Why do you?

Why Flynn lied about it is anybody's guess but they already had the illegally ordered FISA warrant wiretaps on Flynn before they asked questions (without a lawyer present for Flynn).

I think you're a little bit confused about the events here, but I would surmise that Flynn lied because he was conscious of crimes that he was on the hook for and didn't want them revealed.

Flynn was picked up talking to Sergey Kislyak. Kislyak was being monitored as a matter of routine, because he is a foreign agent in the US. No warrant was required, and there's no serious argument to be made that any part of this is illegal. Then, Sally Yates requested "unmasking" from the information owner to find out who the US person was on the other end of the call. She didn't know who it was when she requested that. So she found out it was Michael Flynn, and consequently learned that he was vulnerable to blackmail, and she then went to the Trump administration and reported it. None of that is illegal whatsoever, none of it required a warrant, and as far as I know, none was ever issued, FISA or otherwise. The person who was intercepted by a FISA warrant was Paul Manafort. But that's a separate interception.

The one thing here that's dubious in legality is that we don't know who leaked those details to the press. That would have been potentially illegal, but one can appreciate that they did, because the new Trump administration decided to do exactly nothing when they learned that Manafort was compromised...until the backlash exceeded their ability to ignore it.

What's illegitimate is the Fake Evidence used to spy on the opposition party during an election.

That didn't happen. Manafort was caught on a FISA wiretap for something completely unrelated. I don't know if anyone else in the Trump campaign was picked up there. We'll have to wait for Mueller's findings. But that's the risk of hiring a criminal as your campaign manager. Trump should have known better. There's no special wiretap exclusion policy just because politics intersects with a federal criminal investigation.

You have to wonder why Trump would associate with a guy like Manafort in the first place. You would wonder, if you had any sense.

What's illegitimate is an FBI agent texting on a work phone to another FBI employee while committing adultery with her.

Nope, sorry, that's completely allowed, including the adultery. As long as they continue to perform their jobs.

Texting things like: "I will save the country. I can do that on many levels". "We need an insurance policy to stop Trump from being President"

Unless they are actually conspiring to subvert the election, which seems unlikely, or otherwise breaking the law or policy, no. You know how I know? Because the scrutiny is coming from Congress, not the IG.

- things like that rex. This guy was a LEAD investigator of Clinton, Flynn, Trump and I think the Fake Russian Dossier used to start this whole Fake investigation.

The Steele Dossier isn't the basis of the investigation, as I've told you in the past, and there's nothing controversial about those texts no matter what he was doing for the FBI.

You have shown repeatedly that you think the FBI and Mueller and the demonrats are above the law,

No, I just require that they be held to the real laws and policies, not the ones you and Trey Gowdy make up. There's no crime called "texting a co-worker about shared political views". You don't like Mueller, the FBI, and Democrats because they get in the way of Trump's consolidation of power.

...should never be investigated...

Investigations must be grounded in fact and law, not political fantasy. That's your problem, Pat. There's no evidence Mueller's done anything wrong, and so far, everything you've advanced against FBI agents are non-crimes and non-scandals.

...and that it's OK to do anything necessary to depose a President that has done nothing wrong, broken no laws and won an election that was rigged against him. I'm afraid it's really going to hurt you deeply when the truth comes out, rex.

It was rigged for him, and he did many things wrong. But, this investigation isn't actually premised upon Trump's guilt. It's an investigation into the Russian efforts to subvert the election. Mueller's charge is to go after anyone falling under American jurisdiction who may have helped. If that leads to Trump, as I'm pretty sure it will, it will be because that's where the investigation leads. But, even if it never leads to Trump, it's well worth our while to discover the truth of the attack on our election, and if Trump is really innocent, it will exonerate him. It's already taken down a few deserving Trump lackeys.

What is it that makes you so sure Trump is innocent?

Last edited:

rexlunae

Yes, consider Sally Yates who went on an unmasking spree during 2016 election year.

A spree? One person, that I know of. And again, so what? You still haven't told me what about this is scandalous.

What position did she hold?

Acting Attorney General. So...she was charged with enforcing Federal law in the entire jurisdiction of the United States and overseeing the intelligence functions of the FBI.

I remember that the consensus was that she had no business doing it,

A consensus of who? The Five? Sean Hannity and Tucker Carlson? The bar for unmasking is not high. And by the way, how is it that you have a problem with Sally Yates unmasking (i.e. privately finding out, as a government official, the identity of a US citizen who is incidentally collected in surveillance of another target), but you're not upset about leaking (i.e. publicly giving to journalists) text messages of FBI agents?

...but she could since Obama expanded Top Secret Intelligence information to be shared by many multiple government departments. Obama did that during the 2016 election year after 7 plus years of not doing that. Official duties my rump.

Not sure what you're referring to here, but after 9/11, a big lesson we learned was that the inability of agencies to share information effectively was a big part of why we didn't prevent the attack in the first place. What do you think a government official charged with overseeing intelligence and law enforcement should do with the information that a high-level official was subject to blackmail?

rexlunae

Do you think there's a deep state loyal to the establishment that's trying to stop Trump?

A shallow state is a dictatorship, fool. The establishment "swamp" that you're looking to drain is the accountability that protects our democracy and the rule of law. The state has depth because it's that's how it has been designed by generations of government by both parties. The people who work for the state are Americans who chose public service, often taking a lower paycheck than they could get elsewhere.

I see a lot more swamp in Congress and the White House than I do in the rest of the executive branch. What is the test for swampiness? How do you decide if someone is part of the swamp?

Trump definitely has a conspiracy to drain the swamp.

You would sell out democracy and the rule of law over a cheap campaign slogan. Because you're still hung up on the last election. You really are a fool.

Last edited:

rexlunae

Maybe we should re-interview Clinton not by one of her fans that has already decided how it's gonna turn out.

I guess anyone who was worried about Trump is a Clinton fan by default? That still wouldn't dispose of the exculpatory evidence.

You don't get to pick the politics of who in the government is investigating you. That's how Putin does things, but that's not the American system of justice.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
Nobody believes Putin helped Trump win the election or in any other way, polls increasingly show that. These texts should not be in the hands of Tucker Carlson but the leaks have been plentiful throughout. The Congressional Oversight is exactly who should have them and the Inspector General did his job. The problem is, the FBI and the DOJ have been withholding evidence and information from Congress for months.

This is all part of oversight, checks and balances and the law. Rex likes the law when it's going after Trump but not so much when Congress follows the laws of the Constitution. We have always had ELECTED officials to oversee and investigate law enforcement. Rex speaks of "law enforcement" as if they are incorruptible and puts them on a pedestal. Last time I checked, the FBI and 99% of "law enforcement" are not elected by the people.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
A spree? One person, that I know of. And again, so what?

Acting Attorney General.

Not sure what you're referring to here,
Yes, a spree, look into it.. Yes, you seem to be "not sure" on a lot of details and facts that don't fit your hackneyed chimeras. :kookoo:

rexlunae

Nobody believes Putin helped Trump win the election or in any other way, polls increasingly show that.

Liar.

These texts should not be in the hands of Tucker Carlson but the leaks have been plentiful throughout. The Congressional Oversight is exactly who should have them and the Inspector General did his job.

The Inspector General did not authorize the release of the texts. Do you feel hypocritical complaining about Michael Flynn's privacy not being respected in his criminal conduct when you seem unconcerned for FBI agents who have done nothing wrong.

The problem is, the FBI and the DOJ have been withholding evidence and information from Congress for months.

Both the FBI and the Justice Department have some authority to withhold information pertaining to their investigations. Typically, they will explicitly cite this reason when it comes up. Nothing about that is abnormal. However, Donald Trump Jr. does not enjoy attorney-client privilege covering conversations he has had with his father.

This is all part of oversight, checks and balances and the law.

No it's not. In fact, if there were a legitimate case to be made that there was something to investigate, this could hinder that effort.

Rex likes the law when it's going after Trump but not so much when Congress follows the laws of the Constitution are followed.

Again, you and Trey Gowdy don't get to make up the law as you go along. Conspiring to subvert an election is a crime. Texting a coworker isn't.

We have always had ELECTED officials to oversee and investigate law enforcement.

Yeah, but what's happened here is a naked politicization in an attempt to smear FBI agents. Sure, it's within Congress's duties to oversee, and to some extent investigate the executive branch, although when it comes to breaches of policy, that's mostly the duty of the IG. But that's a fig leaf, in this case.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017...-justice-department-congress-democrats-297737

Rex speaks of "law enforcement" as if they are incorruptible and puts them on a pedestal.

Hardly. They don't deserve politicized attacks based on the self-interest of a criminal politician and his political party trying to offer him cover.

Here's a thought. Remember when Clinton was being investigated by the FBI? Remember when she started making a ton of loose accusations against them? Was there a lot of talk from her about the "deep state" trying to bring her down? Did she call the FBI shameful? Why do you suppose that is? Why do you suppose Trump is so quick to insist that the whole system has it in for him?

Last time I checked, the FBI and 99% of "law enforcement" are not elected by the people.

Thank goodness. Imagine if the everyone who decided how to enforce the law was worried about their next election. Every cop would have an ax to grind.

Last edited: