The Subtility of Satan

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
...We only know what is revealed to us in the scriptures...

Everyone gets a different interpretation or revelation. Even if we still believe the Bible is "inerrant," that does not then mean that our understanding of it is also inerrant!

Robert Pate

Banned
But he said to them, "I was beholding Satan himself who fell like lightning from Heaven."

God has already won. The good news is that Satan/evil has not triumphed. WILL not triumph.

Satan is still alive and well, but his days are numbered.

Spiritually he has been defeated, but he is still a hinderance to Christ and his Gospel.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Satan is still alive and well, but his days are numbered.

Spiritually he has been defeated, but he is still a hinderance to Christ and his Gospel.
We are always going to have problems and difficulties. That's the way it is. That's life.

The problems can be attributed to Satan, but to me that outlook lets me off the hook for considering how my own free will is actually responsible for the life I lead and the cards I am dealt.

I believe sin comes from no other entity than myself.

I have not found it useful to believe in a literal Devil.

But that's just me.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
We are always going to have problems and difficulties. That's the way it is. That's life.

The problems can be attributed to Satan, but to me that outlook lets me off the hook for considering how my own free will is actually responsible for the life I lead and the cards I am dealt.

But that's just me.

Then, you reject the Scriptures that speak about Satan huh? What other Scriptures do you reject?

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
Then, you reject the Scriptures that speak about Satan huh? What other Scriptures do you reject?
I don't reject ANY of the Bible. But I am living in a modern environment. Since the Enlightenment we preference the scientific method and no longer are inhabitants of the ancient, three-level universe of biblical times.

Both Copernicus and Galileo challenged this universe and got a major "push-back" from the church. In fact, it was not until recently that Pope Benedict (I think) publicly apologized to Galileo for the way he was treated by ecclesiastical power.

Snakes do not really talk (nor have they ever) but the things the snake said in our foundational Creation myth should be taken seriously--as a Christian.

Robert Pate

Banned

But that's just me.

The Bible teaches a real live living devil.

Paul said that Satan hindered him, 1 Thessalonians 2:18.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
The Bible teaches a real live living devil.

Paul said that Satan hindered him, 1 Thessalonians 2:18.
There is not a literal "Devil" or "Satan." But that does not mean that I do not take the things he says or does in the Bible seriously.

It's always easy to say "the Devil made me do it" instead of being responsible for our own behavior.

My faith in Jesus tells me that God has already been proven victorious. Death and the powers and principalities are not the final word.

"I watched Satan fall from heaven like a lightning flash." --Luke 10:18 from the Holman Christian Standard Bible.

I, too, can say that Satan hinders me. But in doing so I realize I am using an ancient theological formulation as a "cause" for the evil I encounter or participate in.

But to literally accept the existence of an actual malevolent creature makes no common sense to me.

Robert Pate

Banned
There is not a literal "Devil" or "Satan." But that does not mean that I do not take the things he says or does in the Bible seriously.

It's always easy to say "the Devil made me do it" instead of being responsible for our own behavior.

My faith in Jesus tells me that God has already been proven victorious. Death and the powers and principalities are not the final word.

"I watched Satan fall from heaven like a lightning flash." --Luke 10:18 from the Holman Christian Standard Bible.

Some people are demon possesed and do the devils work.