toldailytopic: Cats or dogs? Which makes the better pet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 26th, 2009 11:22 AM

toldailytopic: Cats or dogs? Which makes the better pet?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

lucy

Depends, I think, on what you need. I have a cat and a dog. I have a dog because they are good "watchdogs". I have a high frequency hearing impairment and do not hear the doorbell if I am in the back of the house or the TV is on. I depend on my dog to tell me when someone is at the door. I also enjoy walking with my dog. Dogs take more work than cats, though, and are more demanding of attention.

I like my cat because she is self-sufficient, yet she really is loving and cuddly without being neurotic and "clingy". She's fun to play with and she keeps me laughing with her funny antics. :rotfl:

Both are great companions and help me to relax when I get home from work. It's nice to have "someone" to come home to who loves you unconditionally!

DocJohnson

Cats are completely selfish and unemotional animals, only showing affection when it suits their personal agenda. Cat people are generally emotionally detached, and therefore get along well with cats.

Dogs have an empathic ability of being able to sense emotion. They always know what you're feeling and react appropriately. They will always be happy to see you, even if you're only gone for five minutes just to get the mail. Dog people have no problem expressing their emotions, and therefore have no problem getting along with dogs. (By the way, I totally recommend the family-friendly movie Marley and Me.)

lucy

Cats are completely selfish and unemotional animals, only showing affection when it suits their personal agenda. Cat people are generally emotionally detached, and therefore get along well with cats.

Dogs have an empathic ability of being able to sense emotion. They always know what you're feeling and react appropriately. They will always be happy to see you, even if you're only gone for five minutes just to get the mail. Dog people have no problem expressing their emotions, and therefore have no problem getting along with dogs. (By the way, I totally recommend the family-friendly movie Marley and Me.)

Are you saying I have a split personality? :think: Hahahaha!

I read Marley and Me - it was great. Sad, but great.

And my cat is very luvy duvy. She greets me at the door every day, "watches" TV with me, and follows me around from room to room. I have known cats like you describe - very indifferent to their owners. I have also had a cat that was sooo clingy, I had to give it away. Drove me crazy because it was always all over me, even more so than a dog! I have concluded cats are more of an "unknown quantity" - you never know what you are going to get. Dogs are more loyal and you pretty much know what you are getting as far as affection and loyalty with a dog.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Cats are completely selfish and unemotional animals, only showing affection when it suits their personal agenda.
I think you're conflating cats and ex-wives again, Doc.
Cat people are generally emotionally detached, and therefore get along well with cats.
And cat people with attorneys...a common mistake. :think:

Dogs have an empathic ability of being able to sense emotion.
If by emotion you mean food.

They always know what you're feeling and react appropriately.
Hoping you'll feed them.

They will always be happy to see you, even if you're only gone for five minutes just to get the mail.
Because they've already forgotten you just fed them.

Dog people have no problem expressing their emotions,
However much the rest of us wish they might.

and therefore have no problem getting along with dogs.
That explains the whole national obesity problem.

:plain:

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
As far as being affectionate and loyalty, IMO, dogs are better pets. However, cats areeasier to take care of.

My preference is towards dogs ... small dogs.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Dogs think they are people, cats think they are God.

Dogs rule, cats drool

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Lock a dog in a car trunk, and a cat in a car trunk, for an hour. Open it. And then see whom is happier to see you.

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
Lock a dog in a car trunk, and a cat in a car trunk, for an hour. Open it. And then see whom is happier to see you.

Which is the way you would react if someone locked you in a trunk? Personally, I can assure you that my reaction would be much more along the lines of what a cat would do. :plain:

The Graphite

As a dyed-in-the-wool cat person my whole life, I will say...

Depends on the person. Cats are great for some people, dogs for other people, birds or bunnies for some people, fish for some people.

Some people should stick to a plant or two. And some people just seem to have the touch of death, and should stick to a rock garden.

Cats are, by nature, generally like what we would call masculine - they are independent, aloof, they can be drawn into relationship but they like to be self-sufficient and good solo hunters.

Dogs tend to be more on the feminine side, by nature. They love intimate relationship, loyalty, nurturing and protecting, and (dare I say) even doing gathering tasks, whether it is retrieving things or herding things.

And this is why women tend to like cats more, on average, and men tend to like dogs more, on average. There are exceptions, like myself, but I love both cats and dogs... I just love cats more, for some reason. Go figure. Everybody's unique, and these are just generalities.

My two cents!

Status
Not open for further replies.