toldailytopic: Dream jobs. If you could have any career in the world, what might some

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krsto

Rock Star, successful fine artist, or film director.

:plain:

Those are pretty much the only things I've ever really dreamed of being, except a designer, which I am. So I'm okay with that. :)

But there are lots of things I think I'd enjoy.

What do you design?

zoo22

What do you design?

I'm a graphic designer, but I have done a lot of clothing design and also film & video design/art direction.

I'd recently been doing a lot of web design. (But I don't do any code... Just the way things look. Someone else has to make it work. As far as code goes, I don't really know a "1" from a "0")

I've also been fortunate enough to have gotten my "rock star" feet wet enough to have toured and played some small-but-big places like CBGB's and the Whisky in LA. ...But that was a long time ago. :plain:

As far as "dream jobs," I think I actually have one right now... When I tell folks what I've been doing, I do describe it as a "dream job." I consider myself very fortunate.

zoo22

You mean like the great speed guitarist Kat?

View attachment 15459

:dead:

:chuckle:

Definitely not my style.

But for sure, I would have loved to be a rock star. Most of my biggest influences (and for a long time, my heros) are rock stars or visual artists. I think rock star is the only career dream I have that's likely passed me by so far. And I did manage to get a decent taste. But the other career dreams I have, I think are still attainable... Whether I'll reach them is obviously another story *completely* ... But I think I still have a chance at them.

And being mediocre can be okay too... Just the fields I'm focused on (arts) are so focused on and dependent on success more than others may be. In that anyone can be a novelist or anyone can be a painter... But being a successful novelist or painter is something else altogether. That's why I specified "successful" when I'd said "fine artist." As odd as it might be, identifying oneself as an engineer or an artist is very different.

In terms of my work and work history, I consider myself very, very, very (I just edited in a third "very") fortunate. I've wound up working with artists who were my heroes growing up. That alone is something that most folks don't get to have happen. And when I tell folks what I'm doing right now, I always describe it as a "dream job." I'm still surprised by it sometimes. Not everyone can say as much, and I mean "dream job" very sincerely. For that, I feel very fortunate.

But what we do is very different from who we are.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
You played the Whiskey A Go Go, that is something and doing what you like best is for the fortunate few!

Krsto

I'm a graphic designer, but I have done a lot of clothing design and also film & video design/art direction.

I'd recently been doing a lot of web design. (But I don't do any code... Just the way things look. Someone else has to make it work. As far as code goes, I don't really know a "1" from a "0")

Oh cool. I design houses (among other things) for fun and have figured I should do it for profit so am working on that. I gave up on the dream of being an architect when I got saved in college and got interested in missions work and theology. Problem is, I studied the bible too much and sectarian doctrines too critically and because of that have found it nearly impossible to find support for ministry so do what I can being self-supporting (and supporting a large family) with a worthless psych. major.

btw - 1 comes after 0.

Krsto

Oh yeah, test driver for Porsche.

Am I the only guy who wanted to say Playboy Photographer but was afraid to?

zoo22

You played the Whiskey A Go Go, that is something and doing what you like best is for the fortunate few!

I really do feel fortunate about having done that (as playing CBGB's). But in the scheme of things it doesn't really mean much.

But yes, I do feel very fortunate about it.

zoo22

Oh cool. I design houses (among other things) for fun and have figured I should do it for profit so am working on that. I gave up on the dream of being an architect when I got saved in college and got interested in missions work and theology. Problem is, I studied the bible too much and sectarian doctrines too critically and because of that have found it nearly impossible to find support for ministry so do what I can being self-supporting (and supporting a large family) with a worthless psych. major.

Designing houses is something I most definitely consider in lines of art.

Don't beat yourself down about what you have or haven't done! Why don't you want to get an architecture degree? Especially if you've been doing it... ?

It doesn't need to be separated from faith...Don't you think all those folks who designed the many beautiful cathedrals and churches had the equivalent of an architecture degree?

btw - 1 comes after 0.

That it does.

I suppose that kind of proves my point. :plain:

Oh yeah, test driver for Porsche.

Don't stop at Porsche...

My brother-in-law, in the UK, writes for a high-end auto magazine and often tests cars. He LOVES, LOVES, LOVES his job... More than I think anyone I've ever known (and I've known some folks with amazing jobs). He's gotten to drive every serious track/road/highway in Europe with a model car. (and all of the crazy private tracks the car companies have on their campuses). My sister 1/2 hates it, mostly because he winds up hitting some pretty insane speeds, but they always have the most incredible cars that are on loan to them. And when they visit us in the states, they're always given some crazy future car on test/loan.

But while some folks'd dream of it, that's just not for me.

Am I the only guy who wanted to say Playboy Photographer but was afraid to?

:plain:

Andy Curry

Be a lead guitarist or drummer in a metalcore or hardcore punk band. I would also settle for Civil Engineer Officer in the Navy, way to much math though lol.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Executioner.

Or something where I get to be on the computer all day.

Goggle Robert G. (Greene) Elliott for "Agent of Death" or "Agent of Death Memoirs of an Executioner." It is an interesting read.

Another is, "88 Men and 2 Women," by Clinton Duffy.​

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
:think:

I thought up three or four but in the end I can't stand the idea of giving up the job I've got now for any of those. So...housewife.

Seriously. My job pwns yours, guys. Sorry about that and all but it's true. Don't let me discourage you boys from talking about your little dream careers, though. :chuckle:

Man, I so bad. :nono:
:darwinsm: That you are, MaryC!

For some, dream careers are just that -- dreams.
One of mine is Tactical Officer on the biggest, baddest starship ever.

bybee

Dreams

Dreams

Be a lead guitarist or drummer in a metalcore or hardcore punk band. I would also settle for Civil Engineer Officer in the Navy, way to much math though lol.

I wanted to be an archaeologist. I've visited the Holy Land twice and felt intense love for it. But I am too cowardly to live there. I now wish to visit Ireland and absorb it's atmosphere. peace, bybee

Jackson

Husband, father, grandfather, Youth Pastor, guitarist in a worship band, concrete sculptor, cruise ship critic :guitar:

Status
Not open for further replies.