toldailytopic: Gay-marriage ban is ruled unconstitutional.

Granite

Hall of Fame
I'm not all that surprised either, VegasCowboy.

Truth is, even if the government of this country deems them married, God will not.

And I'm sure the opinion of the hateful faithful will keep them up nights.

zippy2006

The upholding of marriage has nothing in itself to do with bigotry or hatred. I think that fact is rather obvious. :idunno:

If someone believes that marriage is between a man and a woman it doesn't mean that they hate homosexuals. Saying otherwise is logic gone wrong.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
And I'm sure the opinion of the hateful faithful will keep them up nights.

Did someone say hateful?

churchvandalism1.jpg

"The Price of [supporting] Prop 8"
http://www.heritage.org/research/reports/2009/10/the-price-of-prop-8

Granite

Hall of Fame
The upholding of marriage has nothing in itself to do with bigotry or hatred. I think that fact is rather obvious.

Depends on what you think the "upholding" involves. Excuses like "unity," or "purity," or "the God-intended function" have been used throughout history to justify the worst kind of bigotry. Unfortunately, we've yet to learn our lesson.

If someone believes that marriage is between a man and a woman it doesn't mean that they hate homosexuals.

Not necessarily; quite true. I would say, however, that the two often go hand in hand.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
Depends on what you think the "upholding" involves. Excuses like "unity," or "purity," or "the God-intended function" have been used throughout history to justify the worst kind of bigotry. Unfortunately, we've yet to learn our lesson.

Did someone use the word "bigotry"?

Homosexual bigots commit hate crimes, Part 10: Florida teacher

"A hate crime is usually defined by state law as one that involves threats, harassment, or physical harm and is motivated by prejudice against someone's race, color, religion, national origin, ethnicity, sexual orientation or physical or mental disability." — USLegal.com

Blatant religious bigotry has reared its ugly head again. Another individual has been targeted for a hate crime because homosexual activists and others are motivated by prejudice against his religion.

Jerrry Buell, a former "Teacher of the Year" in Mount Dora, Fla. and a 22-year veteran of the classroom with a spotless record, could be fired for supporting natural marriage on his private Facebook page. If getting fired from your job for exercising your constitutional right to freedom of speech isn't harassment, I don't know what is.

In response to New York's passage of a same-sex marriage bill, Buell criticized the new law in a pair of Facebook posts. He wrote, "If they want to call it a union, go ahead. But don't insult a man and woman's marriage by throwing it in the same cesspool of whatever. God will not be mocked. When did this sin become acceptable?"
http://www.renewamerica.com/columns/fischer/110822

Aethril

HEY HEY, HO HO, PROP 8 HAS GOT TO GO! HEY HEY, HO HO, PROP 8 HAS GOT TO GO!

HEY HEY, HO HO, PROP 8 HAS GOT TO GO! HEY HEY, HO HO, PROP 8 HAS GOT TO GO!

I kept hearing that chant in the Bay Area in July/August of 2010. I responded to a few that they were right! I said that Prop 8 should be struck down and that our founding fathers were wrong to believe homosexuality is a crime. Homos should have the right to legally sodomize each other without fear of the government. Let’s get the word out, support Obama, Hillary, Hollywood, humanists, homosexuals, politicians, the media, the public education system, anyone who will continue opposing these laws that foolishly defend traditional biblical morality! :hetro: The response was a blank stare, and I am ok with that.

PureX

If someone believes that marriage is between a man and a woman it doesn't mean that they hate homosexuals.
No, but when you use that opinion as an excuse to seek to punish, oppress, or otherwise harm other people who happen to disagree with you, then it does become hateful.

PyramidHead

About time, surprised they made it a human rights issue rather than a separation of church and state issue tho

Desert Reign

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for February 7th, 2012 12:04 PM

toldailytopic: Gay-marriage ban is ruled unconstitutional.

Whether it is constitutional or not is simply a matter for America to decide.

The truth is that a homosexual relationship is not a marriage.

And I have nothing against homosexuals having a relationship. So long as they don't think that in order for them to feel better about themselves they ought to have the same rights as married people or start adopting children.

rocketman

Resident Rocket Surgeon
Hall of Fame
Is. 5:20 Woe to those who call evil good, and good evil;
Who put darkness for light,
And light for darkness;
Who put bitter for sweet,
And sweet for bitter!

MaryContrary

Hall of Fame
Let's remind ourselves, is this war already won or not? According to God, it is. So do we fight these battles to win? Or is there another reason?

Considering why we fight, that we lost this small battle is rather irrelevant. Rejoice in this lost battle, knowing that God's glory will be all the more made evident.

Be samurai's for God. Fight because it is right to fight. Not to win but to fight! In that there is only victory, in every battle. We are blessed with the ability to do this because the war has already been won. The fight itself, then, is what we fight for. Why else? Victory we already have.

As for the world, we don't fight to convince courts to rule correctly. We fight so that we may be seen to fight.

To those who celebrate this ruling...you lost. You may not realize it yet, but you did. Enjoy your celebration while you can, because it'll pass.

And be quick about it! We're already spoiling for the next fight! :box:

0005.gif

eameece

Sorry, haters, but you lose again.

Indeed! This is good news. Read the news and weep again, culture warriors! Your days are truly numbered.

It looks pretty good in the Supreme Court too, since Anthony Kennedy appears to be pro gay rights. We'll see. Plus the precedent of two lower-court rulings might be important to the Supremes.

As far as this court ruling being in CA, where else could it be, since this is a CA case??

eameece

The upholding of marriage has nothing in itself to do with bigotry or hatred. I think that fact is rather obvious. :idunno:

If someone believes that marriage is between a man and a woman it doesn't mean that they hate homosexuals. Saying otherwise is logic gone wrong.

But imposing your definition of marriage on others who disagree IS bigotry and hate.