toldailytopic: Obama's State of the Union speech. What did you think of it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 28th, 2010 10:34 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

bybee

Well!!!

Well!!!

The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for January 28th, 2010 10:34 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

It was a masterful presentation of "I have no guilt! The former adminstration started this mess and the congress has mishandled it! And I shall continue to lead us down the very path on which I began this debacle because I don't give up!". By the way, Nancy Pelosi must have lost five pounds doing all of those double-knee bends! bybee

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I shall continue to lead us down the very path on which I began this debacle because I don't give up!".
Out of touch with the American people. Obama points the finger at everyone but himself. Nevertheless, full speed ahead--over the cliff. :shocked:

WandererInFog

Well, we can definitely say that, after a year in office, Obama is every bit as adept at reading a teleprompter as he was when he was elected.

Newman

"But we took office amid a crisis. And our efforts to prevent a second depression have added another $1 trillion to our national debt. [...] So tonight, I'm proposing specific steps to pay for the trillion dollars that it took to rescue the economy last year. Starting in 2011, we are prepared to freeze government spending for three years. [...] We will continue to go through the budget, line by line, page by page, to eliminate programs that we can't afford and don't work. We've already identified $20 billion in savings for next year."

So, just to recap: he is going to freeze spending that he has already increased 22% from an already bloated Bush budget. And, he has identified $20 billion from a $3.55 trillion dollar budget as money he can cut.

20 billion divided by 3.55 trillion equals .56%.

Humans are horrible at comparing large numbers. Do not buy into any of his so called efforts to reduce spending or the deficit. If you freeze spending that has already been dramatically increased, and then identify .56% that you can cut (not that he has cut, but has identified as cut-able), you are not saving money at all. You are not taking steps to reduce anything. You are lying to the American people, Barack Obama.

minuteman

I had more important things to do than listen to a bunch of lies from an ego-maniacal windbag. Like trimming my nose hairs.

nicholsmom

I would like to hear from someone who was impressed or inspired by that speech since I am a big skeptic of this man, in that I don't believe anything that proceeds from his mouth :sigh:

Looked like a lot of finger-pointing, some name-dropping, some broad-sweeping vilifying of various private-sector "institutions", and some claims of specious advances (helping 3rd world nations feed themselves???), and plenty of empty promises to me :idunno:

BabyChristian

I had more important things to do than listen to a bunch of lies from an ego-maniacal windbag. Like trimming my nose hairs.

I trimmed my toenails instead, I knew I'd find that more interesting.

Actually we went to church.

Seems the lefties are avoiding this subject. I wonder why? :think:

Ecumenicist

I saw Obama trying to appeal to the right wing to participate in legislation rather than acting as a bunch of obstructionist jerks.

Alate_One

I saw Obama trying to appeal to the right wing to participate in legislation rather than acting as a bunch of obstructionist jerks.

As did I. I think he spoke the truth, he attacked republicans for obstructionism and the pure partisanship that has been played for the last year by the right. He attacked the recent supreme court ruling, as he should have. The idea that liberal justices are the only activists is dead.

And he DID take responsibility. He did say he made mistakes but he didn't wallow in them during the speech. I don't see the point in doing that.

Frankly the spending freeze is a pander and probably not actually useful, since the actual big slices of the deficit are the military and entitlements. Of course no republican wants to cut military spending and no democrat wants to mess with entitlements so . . .

But it might make some deficit hawks feel better about him. I hope he does some actual "getting in order" of the federal budget one way or another.

BabyChristian

Oh, you mean the right wingers are going to be allowed in the closed-door secret (buy people off) meetings of the mindless left finally?

Obstructionist? I'd obstruct anything I was allowed to know about.

:first:

:cheers:

As did I. I think he spoke the truth, he attacked republicans for obstructionism and the pure partisanship that has been played for the last year by the right. He attacked the recent supreme court ruling, as he should have. The idea that liberal justices are the only activists is dead.

And he DID take responsibility. He did say he made mistakes but he didn't wallow in them during the speech. I don't see the point in doing that.

Frankly the spending freeze is a pander and probably not actually useful, since the actual big slices of the deficit are the military and entitlements. Of course no republican wants to cut military spending and no democrat wants to mess with entitlements so . . .

But it might make some deficit hawks feel better about him. I hope he does some actual "getting in order" of the federal budget one way or another.

:chuckle:

:chuckle:

You people crack me up.

Alate_One

Oh, you mean the right wingers are going to be allowed in the closed-door secret (buy people off) meetings of the mindless left finally?

Obstructionist? I'd obstruct anything I was allowed to know about.

They knew plenty. The democrats asked the republicans "what would you like to see in this bill" The republicans answered. The democrats put said provisions in the bill then they all voted against it. How is that not obstructionism?

Why is it in an already undemocratic senate it takes 60 senators (which represent far more than 60% of the American public) to get anything done? 59% just isn't enough? Does this not strike anyone else as ridiculous?

kmoney

Hall of Fame
I didn't watch. I'm not a big SOTU guy and usually don't watch. Most of what I heard in analysis (which isn't much so far) is that it was a decent speech but not that great and won't be that effective or change anything.

bybee

Hey!

Hey!

Is there an echo in here? Do you remember whenPresident Bush was in office? The Democrats did every thing they could to hamstring his policies. What goes around comes around. This president is a regular "Oil-can Harry". He is not responsible for anything adverse but takes credit for any any all positive results. I do not trust him. He hasn't any humility. bybee

Alate_One

Is there an echo in here? Do you remember whenPresident Bush was in office? The Democrats did every thing they could to hamstring his policies. What goes around comes around. This president is a regular "Oil-can Harry". He is not responsible for anything adverse but takes credit for any any all positive results. I do not trust him. He hasn't any humility. bybee

The level of filibuster threat is totally different. It's reached a new level with this congress.

Don't believe me? Look at this.

WizardofOz

Is there an echo in here? Do you remember whenPresident Bush was in office? The Democrats did every thing they could to hamstring his policies.

Specifically, which ones? I'm not saying you're wrong, but I'd love to hear some examples.

What goes around comes around.
:sigh:
That's a terribly partisan attitude to hold. "We'll obstruct your guy about these issues because they obstructed our guy over these other totally unrelated issues."

Let's consider the issues one at a time rather than obstruct just for the sake of it.

This president is a regular "Oil-can Harry". He is not responsible for anything adverse but takes credit for any any all positive results. I do not trust him. He hasn't any humility. bybee

This is the current republican platform.

How does this help solve problems? Heck, how does it even help offer potential solutions? What would you like to see him accomplish? Obama seems to be wiling to listen to all ideas, including those on the other side of the isle.

Who is offering ideas? Anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.