toldailytopic: Pet peeves. What are some of yours?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for December 5th, 2009 10:34 AM

toldailytopic: Pet peeves. What are some of yours?

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Toothpaste caps and ketchup bottle tops left encrusted...(shudders)

I also hate it when people ask you to join in song...or cat juggling. :mmph:

I mean, seriously, you'd think some genius would have had them declawed first, at least.

One Eyed Jack

I can't stand it when people write "of" instead of "have." Don't they know the difference between a preposition and a verb?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Loud cellphone talkers at restaurants or the store.

People driving slow in the fast lane.

People who don't use turn signals.

Cashiers who not only fail to count change back but also insist on putting coins on top of the bills.

People who use the motorized carts in the grocery store who don't actually need them.

People who have American jobs but can't speak English.

Cars that are parked over the line in a parking space.

Parents who won't control their brats in public.

People who continue to talk on the phone to you although they really have nothing to say.

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
That's a good one, Nick. :chuckle:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
People who make posts like this. At least it is worthy of mocking.

"I quote the bible when necessary...(forget exact verse).. I have books in my library that refute you in detail that you cannot refute. They do a better job than I would in a few posts…...Google may also help....If you study biblical theology (looking at books, authors, etc.) instead of systematic theology or ultradispensationalism, you would see that... As it is, commentators disagree on… I believe sound evangelical scholarship totally refutes what you are saying … He is not worth reading in light of the sound scholarship that exists ..Sound NT scholarship recognizes.... Whole books have been written on it… The vast majority of godly Christians have not heard of MAD. The best of conservative, biblical, evangelical scholarship rejects it if they have heard of it…. Exact reference again? Did you check other versions or a commentary?... Buy a good commentary for the various opinions on… Hermeneutical books point out that… Even in your traditional view, scholars do not express your issues…I am not an expert on MAD and do not consider it a prominent enough view to gain much academic attention…Sound NT scholarship comes to different conclusions…Who was the prominent author (s) who held to it in your movement?.. I think you will be hard pressed to find commentators who would agree with you…As the Bible Knowledge Commentary points out,… it is not even on the radar of credible NT scholars…. I can't condense 30 years of study from a variety of sources into a few posts… any credible commentary or systematic theology will give you the arguments and verses…. I agree with the commentary. .. Listen to the Doctor (D. M. L-Jones), not radio preachers with weak NT backgrounds. …There is a reason it is a marginal view that lacks credibility among NT scholars…"Feel free to refute the many books written that contradict your views…. There is a reason no NT scholar… It is enough solid scholarship to silence MAD… an ignorant JW who blindly follows an organization or their misquoting of our scholars…. You underestimate the caliber of scholars that God has raised up to keep the sheep from falling for false teaching and ignorance on important subjects. Why should I trust you as an expert on things, and reject those with proven track records and godly character/insights? Eph. 4:11-13 vs internet wannabees with no training or accountability…Any credible biblical theology of John and Paul or any credible commentary or NT scholar or average believer has no problem with I Jn. vs Paul.....There are many resources to help you, but you prefer fringe writers over ones that can give you more biblical answers….but I should ignore more credible sources and their documented evidence? Why, pray tell?!.... What school did you go to again?... I went to Bible College in the early 80s, but have no scholastic club except TOL (which is not very scholastic)..” - autopilot

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Football anouncers that say stupid things like "he has the angle". An angle requires more distance. The defender being further upfield is the advantage.

Psalmist

Blessed is the man that......
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Football anouncers that say stupid things like "he has the angle". An angle requires more distance. The defender being further upfield is the advantage.

About announcers saying or asking stupid things with it is very obvious as to what happened, here is a pet peeve from another sports announcer, it was from a track side reporter, I never quite forgot . . .

It's NASCAR in the 60's, it is at Charlotte Motor Speedway, one of those 500 mile races. One of the NASCAR hot dogs, Curtis Turner, crashes. When both Turner and his wrecked car make it back to the pit area, the trackside report asks Turner, "What happened out there?"

Turner replied, "What happened out there? I crashed. You can do that here."​

Status
Not open for further replies.