toldailytopic: Santa Claus: harmless holiday tradition, or agent of darkness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Looking to non-Christians regarding doctrinal issues is very poor judgment, Serpentdove...
I do not look to Dennis Prager for doctrinal issues. I do not consider Santa a doctrinal issue.

If that's the hill you wish to die on--so be it (1 Cor 5:10). :kookoo:

Last edited:

bybee

Hmmmmm

Hmmmmm

OK, then why did you follow up with:

Are you confused?

Is your software broken?

Or did you neglect to read it before making your post?

Are you actually attempting to teach your faith so that others may find salvation?

or

Are just flapping a fanatical mouth?

or

Are you really a pagan in disguise trying to turn others away from Christianity?

This was an unnecessarily harsh response to a Christian sister. peace, bybee

The Graphite

I do not look to Dennis Prager for doctrinal issues. I do not consider Santa a doctrinal issue.

If that's the hill you wish to die on--so be it (1 Cor 5:10). :kookoo:
SD, the issue is being raised here as a doctrinal issue; that's the whole point of this entire thread, right from the OP. That's the question. And you responded to that by supporting your view with words from someone in rebellion against God.

As a former witch, I recognize better than many the harmful impact of teaching children magical stories and connecting them to Jesus, and setting children up for a fall, so they will necessarily learn that these fairy tales are false, but then they're expected to believe Jesus is real.

And many survive that trap in faith. But, many don't. Both of my brothers and myself were hurt by that unfair and foolish practice, and I can't even begin to count how many other people I have met in street evangelism who recount the same experience (including people who are still in rebellion against God... atheists who point to the silliness of Santa and Jesus, saying they are both just fairy tales.

I am not opposed to celebrating Christmas. I'm not opposed to trees, or the star on the tree, the timing of the observance, etc. We have liberty in all of this.

But, when it comes to lying to children to get them to believe in false, supernatural/magical fairy tales in direct relation to the true story of Jesus, this is a matter of right and wrong, and it regards the spiritual well-being of children. So, yes, that is a serious issue.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"SD, the issue is being raised here as a doctrinal issue; that's the whole point of this entire thread, right from the OP."
I do not go to Dennis Prager for doctrinal issues. Nonetheless, his essay is interesting. He is speaking about the innocence of childhood.

If you feel a need to discuss deeper theological issues with your three-year-old while reading The Three Little Pigs, go ahead. :idunno: He may prefer the local librarian's rendition of the story (1 Cor 5:10).

"...And you responded to that by supporting your view with words from someone in rebellion against God."
Prager can't make a good point about "the issue" of Santa? He's not an issue at all unless we make him one. :idunno:

"As a former witch, I recognize better than many the harmful impact of teaching children magical stories and connecting them to Jesus..."
The Holy Spirit is able to make himself known (Ge 6:3) even after a child reads The Grinch Who Stole Christmas (I think "roast beast" is Satanic. Dr. Seuss should have said "roast beef"--it's a conspiracy! :burnlib:).

"...setting children up for a fall, so they will necessarily learn that these fairy tales are false, but then they're expected to believe Jesus is real."
Fairy tales are false. Jesus is real. The world is filled with deception (1 Tim. 4:1–3). Yet, the Holy Spirit is able to reach every person (1Co 2:10,13). He knows when to withdraw from incorrigible sinners (Gen. 6:3; Deut. 32:30; Psa. 51:11; Prov. 1:24–28; Jer. 7:29; Hos. 4:17, 18; Hos. 5:6; Hos. 9:12; Matt. 15:14; Luke 13:7; Rom. 1:24, 26, 28).

"[W]hen it comes to lying to children to get them to believe in false, supernatural/magical fairy tales in direct relation to the true story of Jesus, this is a matter of right and wrong, and it regards the spiritual well-being of children. So, yes, that is a serious issue..."
Obey your conscience then (1 Tim. 3:9).

Howbeit there is not in every man that knowledge: for some with conscience of the idol unto this hour eat it as a thing offered unto an idol; and their conscience being weak is defiled [1 Cor. 8:7].

"The weak ones, the babes in Christ, the carnal Christians, these were the ones who were offended by the meat offered to idols. They did not have the knowledge. Their consciences bothered them. So they criticized the others who felt at liberty to eat the meat.

May I say that we still find the same thing today. We have people who call themselves separated Christians. They think they are being very spiritual when, actually, they are revealing that they don’t have the knowledge. They are the ones who say you can’t do this and that. They are the ones who are offended at Christians who use their Christian liberty. They are like the Christians at Corinth who were offended when they were served meat offered to idols and said, “Oh, no, we are separated. We won’t touch that meat.” That kind of separation is not due to spirituality; it is due to ignorance."
McGee, J. V. (1997, c1981). Thru the Bible commentary. Based on the Thru the Bible radio program. (electronic ed.) (5:39). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.

lyngraphics

I changed my mind... Santa is evil!!
:noway:
With his portly belly and a fondness for a brandy-fuelled spin on the sleigh, Santa Claus is hardly the picture of health or safety.

Now his wild ways are catching up with him, with calls for a radical overhaul of his bad boy image. A study by Monash University public health expert Dr. Nathan Grills found Santa could be promoting obesity and speeding — and damaging millions of lives.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,580449,00.html

Status
Not open for further replies.