toldailytopic: Should all humans have legal protection against being killed?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
The TheologyOnline.com TOPIC OF THE DAY for March 21st, 2013 05:00 AM

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
Killed by what?

Old age?

Heart disease?

Obesity?

Drunk drivers?

Urban youths?

Planned Parenthood?

Bammy's Drones-o-Death?

Roving hordes of zombies?

bybee

Take the topic above and run with it! Slice it, dice it, give us your general thoughts about it. Everyday there will be a new TOL Topic of the Day.
If you want to make suggestions for the Topic of the Day send a Tweet to @toldailytopic or @theologyonline or send it to us via Facebook.

Well, if lightning strikes I suppose we could sue Mother Nature?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
No .... those who intentionally harm others via rape, child molestation, murder, torture, etc. are not deserving of protection.

not4sure

What good is an attorney after you are killed?

Quincy

Death is an easy way out. Sure the person might fear it leading up to execution, but in the end they are dead. They aren't suffering. Criminals like murderers and rapist should pay a steep price. Reform the prisons and make them more than just an ostracization with modern amenities, make them a place of suffering and punishment again. That would be better.

xAvarice

BANNED
Banned
Death is an easy way out. Sure the person might fear it leading up to execution, but in the end they are dead. They aren't suffering. Criminals like murderers and rapist should pay a steep price. Reform the prisons and make them more than just an ostracization with modern amenities, make them a place of suffering and punishment again. That would be better.

Better for who? My uncle recently passed away at the age of 43 after spending the majority of his years of living in a prison for petty drug crimes... trust me making them a place of suffering and punishment wouldn't help, especially when privatising them and having legislation set up that will make certain a steady income of prisoners.

I'm against the death penalty, (not because they don't deserve it) but because of the sheer level of mistakes and corruption inherent in the process, so that only leaves life sentences.

I don't see the purpose in punishing people in prison, ESPECIALLY if they're going to leave some time. I have very little confidence in the efficacy of punishment as a correctional method.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Or you could send them to such a place by executing them.

Quincy

Well, I am against the death penalty also. There are too many innocent people executed on it for one thing but I think a life of punishment is a much better determent than the easy out of death. I don't think it would be corrective either, btw but it would be a suitable price to pay for that type of crime (murder/rape). If someone said to me, if I were planning on comitting a crime worthy of execution, that I'd either get executed or spend the next 50-60 years of my life in a dungeon, I'd be more scared of the dungeon.

The other way, I'd just be executed, dead and no longer existing. Some things might be worth that but not 50 years of suffering and punishment. If that makes sense ;).

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Well, I am against the death penalty also. There are too many innocent people executed on it for one thing but I think a life of punishment is a much better determent than the easy out of death. I don't think it would be corrective either, btw but it would be a suitable price to pay for that type of crime (murder/rape). If someone said to me, if I were planning on comitting a crime worthy of execution, that I'd either get executed or spend the next 50 years of my life in a dungeon, I'd be more scared of the dungeon.

The other way, I'd just be executed, dead and no longer existing. Some things might be worth that but not 50 years of suffering and punishment. If that makes sense ;).
Sometimes it's not about deterring, but rather protecting everyone else. But seeing a swift and assured execution would deter others who are not otherwise resistant to the idea of such acts. It's the fact that the death penalty isn't certain and when someone is sentenced to death they spend decades behind bars waiting for it rather than a couple of days [at most], and the fact that they aren't made public.

Problem is that place is a fairy tale, even many Christians don't believe in it.
Can you show that to be true?

csuguy

Well, I am against the death penalty also. There are too many innocent people executed on it for one thing but I think a life of punishment is a much better determent than the easy out of death. I don't think it would be corrective either, btw but it would be a suitable price to pay for that type of crime (murder/rape). If someone said to me, if I were planning on comitting a crime worthy of execution, that I'd either get executed or spend the next 50-60 years of my life in a dungeon, I'd be more scared of the dungeon.

So you rather than killing people, you want them sent to prisons where you want them to suffer a fate worse than death - because that's better for the innocent people?

:think:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I'd be more agreeable to the death penalty, if there weren't so many "Oops."
cases where we condemned an innocent person.

GuySmiley

Problem is that place is a fairy tale, even many Christians don't believe in it.
:shocked:
Careful! As an atheist you need to avoid positive statements like that. Repeat these words to yourself in the mirror, "I simply lack a belief in God."

HisServant

I think we should allow executions wholesale for people who commit any kind of violent crime... along with with holding medical care for a lot of people that are living off of government assistance.

It's not that I do not have compassion for these people, its just that I think that the costs 'of doing the moral thing' are bankrupting us culturally and financially.

We are stuck in analysis paralysis while the meter is running and we are terrified that we might do the wrong thing in one out off a million instances.