toldailytopic: Should parents be allowed to name their children anything they want?

NarrowWay

Awww, shucks!
LIFETIME MEMBER
A set of parents in New Jersey had their children taken away and courts have ruled that there is no evidence of child abuse. Their children were removed from their home and have not been returned. All of this activity stemmed from a request for a birthday cake for their son, Adolph Hitler Campbell. They also have a daughter named Aryan Nation Campbell. Their third child is named Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie.

So, should parents be able to name their children anything they want?

Here is a link to the news story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/26/baby-hitler-parents-lose-custody-kids-even-though-judge-says-no-abuse/%27?intcmp=obinsite

TomO

Get used to it.
Hall of Fame
:nono: No....they shouldn't. I should name all the nations children.

Coffee is King

:mock: White Nationalists.

I was raised around that type of deluded thinking. I knew a man that named his daughter "January Thirtieth" (January 30, 1933 is the day Hitler became chancellor), but they just called her January.

I think parents should, not to tire out a cliche, think of the children. Would you as a business owner hire someone named "Aryan Nations", or would you judge this person before hand and throw their application in the trash? Be honest.

"This is America, they say it's free, you have the right to name your child whatever you want to name your child, no matter what," Heath Campbell said.
Yes, it's a free country. Yes, you can name your child whatever, but should you? I can set myself on fire if I felt compelled. But is it a good idea, and would there be far-reaching consequences affecting my children?

Interesting that they named a child "Aryan Nation". This would lead to me to believe that they are Christian Identity, which would not explain why they named a child after Hitler, who is not very popular amongst the CI camp.

BabyChristian

A set of parents in New Jersey had their children taken away and courts have ruled that there is no evidence of child abuse. Their children were removed from their home and have not been returned. All of this activity stemmed from a request for a birthday cake for their son, Adolph Hitler Campbell. They also have a daughter named Aryan Nation Campbell. Their third child is named Honszlynn Hinler Jeannie.

So, should parents be able to name their children anything they want?

Here is a link to the news story:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/26/baby-hitler-parents-lose-custody-kids-even-though-judge-says-no-abuse/%27?intcmp=obinsite

Obviously these are fanatical parents, their names won't be the worst thing they do, they'll teach them hate but as far as taking them away, I dunno. :confused:

There would be a lot of people losing their kids if it was based on fanaticism, even religious fanaticism, like not taking kids to Drs when they need to go.

WizardofOz

Government should never take away a person's right to be a complete idiot. That's liberty!

Fast forward 18 years: These kids realize their parents are morons, have their names legally changed and have nothing more to do with their racist roots.

And they all lived happily ever after.

The End.

BabyChristian

Government should never take away a person's right to be a complete idiot. That's liberty!

Fast forward 18 years: These kids realize their parents are morons, have their names legally changed and have nothing more to do with their racist roots.

The End.

My daughter in law has an uncle named Adolf. She was embarrassed to say it. We all looked at each other, I hadn't met anyone with that name or anyone who knew someone with that name, well other than "the Adolph".

If I were him, I would have changed my name but he didn't and he's not young. Too many weird looks and questions asked to and of him I'm sure.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
My daughter in law has an uncle named Adolf. She was embarrassed to say it. We all looked at each other, I hadn't met anyone with that name or anyone who knew someone with that name, well other than "the Adolph".

I am more troubled by someone who is named Jesus

some other dude

You've never heard of Adolph's?

4667844644_a62f6947c9.jpg

Coffee is King

Yep. People have the right to be wrong.

Correct. My mother is not a White Nationalist, but one of her brothers is, as well as a good chunk of her family. I know much of their numerology (1488, 18, 311) and acronyms (KIGY, ORION). They also practice Christian Identity http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christian_Identity. Seriously, it could have gone either way. I could have embraced "the movement" and it's ideology. But I didn't. Not for me. These kids could quite possibly grow up to change their names and speak about what they went through, and teach others the perils of extremism.

The End.
I got a unicorn out of the deal.

MrRadish

It's a tricky one. Having a really stupid name could very easily lead to an innocent child getting quite severely bullied and ostracised - you could argue it's a bit like these insane parents who, for example, wanted a girl and so force their son to wear dresses throughout his childhood.

Yes, freedom is important, but arguably doing this kind of thing could actively and severely harm the kid.

Arthur Brain

It's a tricky one. Having a really stupid name could very easily lead to an innocent child getting quite severely bullied and ostracised - you could argue it's a bit like these insane parents who, for example, wanted a girl and so force their son to wear dresses throughout his childhood.

Yes, freedom is important, but arguably doing this kind of thing could actively and severely harm the kid.

Fair points dude although there's a certain irony in this coming from someone who calls himself Mr Radish....

:plain:

Sum1sGruj

BANNED
Banned
New Zealand bans families from calling their baby ‘Lucifer’ and 'Adolf Hitler'

Anyone worth their salt in depicting the Bible would know that Lucifer was just a name put in Isaiah in the KJV.
It happily helped connect the dots within the prophesy given by Isaiah to portray the renegade angel, Satan, but Lucifer is actually Venus, Phosphorus, or Dawn Star (in which the name takes the place of) in Roman mythology.

But I guess the name would still be depicted as Satan to people who don't know this.

:chuckle: People would name their child Lucifer

As far as Adolph Hitler, that's just messed up. Their kid is going to suffer through school.

some other dude

A parent might, for whatever reason, choose to name their child:

Pleasepickonme
or
Imalittlefaggot
or
Godhatesfags
or
Barack Hussein

I think we could all agree that those parents should be reviled. But is anybody willing to argue that it's the role of the government to regulate them?

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Firstly, someone needs to turn these parents over their knee and give them a good swatting. Naming their kids Arayan Nations and Adolf Hitler? Good Grief!

In seriousness, parents need to use good judgement when choosing a name for their child. There are many names out there that can pose a liability for a child. If a were an employer I wouldn't hire someone named Aryan Nations. I would wonder what kind of upbringing this person had. Neither would I hire a guy named Bracken. Again the name leaves me wondering about the environment the person came from.

It's a delicate issue. Naming the kid isn't a moral issue like adultery or sodomy. Names mean a lot to the parent giving them. The choice of names can reflect problems within the family and a poor choice can have consequences for the child. As SOD so astutely puts it. The government shouldn't be stepping in. Reviling them is punishment enough.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
Of course parents should be allowed to name their children anything they want.

If the kid doesn't like it, they can change their name when they are old enough. It's really that simple.

Ted L Glines

For those who do not know these key racist organizations:

Link to: Aryan Nations

Link to: Christian (Kingdom) Identity Movement

Christian Identity changed its name a few years back to Kingdom Identity. Their headquarters is at a ranch just outside of Harrison, Arkansas. Aryan Nations is a front group, their international arm. They support the KKK and other racists activities, and they have Aryan Brotherhood chapters inside many prisons. Among other things, they publish and distribute "bible study courses" which are edited to promote racist ideals; yes, yet another version of Christianity.

Still, New Jersey does not have the authority to regulate what "ideals" are parentally instilled into children, nor censor what names are chosen for those kids. This action will be overthrown in the courts. We are reaping what we sowed. We wanted freedom of speech. We fought for it. We got it. Now we shall live with the consequences.

As someone commented, those kids will grow up in a society which will make it adviseable for them to change their names. Almost all doors will be closed to a man named Adolph Hitler or someone named Aryan Nations. Along with freedom of speech comes freedom of rejection.

Last edited: