toldailytopic: Should party trump person? How important is it to vote for your politi

Status
Not open for further replies.

zoo22

To me the individual's politics/record matters more than party. No question.

However, as Mr. Beeks, how I vote can depend on the particular situation. There are circumstances I would vote for a candidate other than the one I considered the best candidate.

rexlunae

I like people who are pragmatic enough to recognize a need to find common cause with others. So whereas party isn't that important to me, I also generally oppose the lone wolf sorts who can't ever seem to compromise, like Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. I don't mind having a couple of them in Congress. I even think it's kinda healthy. But unless they can actually win people to their viewpoint, it seems like they do a poor job advocating for their constituencies.

Son of Jack

I like people who are pragmatic enough to recognize a need to find common cause with others. So whereas party isn't that important to me, I also generally oppose the lone wolf sorts who can't ever seem to compromise, like Ron Paul and Dennis Kucinich. I don't mind having a couple of them in Congress. I even think it's kinda healthy. But unless they can actually win people to their viewpoint, it seems like they do a poor job advocating for their constituencies.

So your point is basically politics is all about compromise? Is that fair?

kmoney

Hall of Fame

If they keep getting elected then it would seem their constituencies are happy with them. :idunno:

WandererInFog

It depends on the office being voted for.

For an executive office, such as President or Governor, the positions of the individual far outweigh what party they are a part of as they are making the sole decision of what laws to sign or veto.

For a legislative offices though, especially the House of the Representatives, party affiliation matters a great more as the party in control of the chamber determines what bills even come up for a vote, so I become much more likely to vote for a particular person who I may dislike so long as they belong to a party that, in a general sense, falls more in line with my own positions.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
is it ok if I chime in on this one?

No. Go away. Come back when you repent. As bad as you want Ronald Reagan to be the party, sadly, he is not. They just waited for him to die to return to their roots.

View attachment 15036

edit: Answer why you didn't vote for RC Alan Keyes, whom most closely values what you claim is important.

Last edited:

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I would vote for a conservative democrat over a liberal republican.

As you should.

This was topic number one following election day 2008 on Limbaughs show. He was glad. I remember him sounding pleased in saying "they are gone" of the liberal Re-publicans. And Rush lately doesn't seem to know what is right, and he knew this.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I like people who can speak their mind

Adolp Hitler and Barack Obama can speak their mind. With a teleprompter.

and have a well-reasoned position,

Don't you mean people who agree with you? Nothing wrong with that, just say it.

and still compromise when necessary to get things done.

So, you will do some evil, like killing just a few Jews in exchange for your pet project. I see.

csuguy

Politics are a lost cause - focus on something more important that needs fixing and that results in eternal gains - the church!

Status
Not open for further replies.