toldailytopic: Tolerance and diversity, where and how should we draw the line? (what

Status
Not open for further replies.

quip

BANNED
Banned
Red herrings? :chuckle:

If you mean we divide the criminals into prisons to keep them away from law-abiding citizens, this makes sense... sort of.

:doh:

Nevermind...I believe this post has supplied me with all the pertinent answers.

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
I tolerate the ubiquitous difference and the disagreeable tolerable. Not the intolerable wrong that is unrighteous.

Son of Jack

DJ,

Your definition of tolerance seems a tad simplistic and reductionistic. Most people don't use the word that way. In my thinking (and I could be totally wrong), most people use the word tolerance to mean something akin to what Knight and others have suggested. Implied in tolerance, for most commonsensical folks, is the idea that there are certain limits, and for most, those limits begin when harm is being done.

Maybe this will simplify the issue (and by simplify, I mean complicate it completely)...did Jesus tolerate sin, or more rightly sinners, during his earthly ministry? The Pharisees sure thought so...

So, in what way is tolerance synonymous with mercy? How one answers that question will be helpful in solving this problem because I think we can agree that mercy triumphs over judgment (or so James thought).

DocJohnson

DJ, Your definition of tolerance seems a tad simplistic and reductionistic. Most people don't use the word that way.

Not my fault they can't pick up a dictionary and read it.

So, in what way is tolerance synonymous with mercy? How one answers that question will be helpful in solving this problem because I think we can agree that mercy triumphs over judgment (or so James thought).

Mercy and tolerance are not the same thing. With mercy, you are acknowledging that the act is wrong and intolerable, you're just forgiving it.

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So, if a rap song states, "take your ho and throw her to the ground." (or something similar)

Should that be tolerated?

Yes, because it is an artistic expression. I could be more literal by asking "how many people actually own a ho?" :eek:

Seriously though, I think that most of us are able to tell the difference between an expression as compared to seriously advocating violence.

Lets assume further that somebody actually does throws their girlfriend to the ground and later credits the song for their inspiration. Does that effect how you would feel about any of this?

No it wouldn't. I am unwilling to buy into the excuse of people doing things they know are wrong because they saw it in the media.

Music, books, movies and television constantly present situations that in RL would be considered illegal or crossing the line. However, I expect parents to monitor their children and for adults to know how to draw the line between fantasy and reality.

bybee

I believe

I believe

Is that a good law or should it be changed?

Is that a good law or should it be changed?

I believe that both laws work for the common Good. They have stood the test of time. In modern society, one spouse makes sense. All people belong to God, therefore no human has the right to own another human. I suspect that it is "Man" who wishes (some men) to have more than one spouse. I don't know how more than one spouse could become
as one flesh". Sounds sort of disgusting to me. bybee

bybee

Good points

Good points

Not my fault they can't pick up a dictionary and read it.

Mercy and tolerance are not the same thing. With mercy, you are acknowledging that the act is wrong and intolerable, you're just forgiving it.

Good points! bybee

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame
How do you discern between the "disagreeable tolerable" and the "unrighteous"?

I will let other members answer you and if no one does, than I will explain it. What I said is clear if you think it through

Servo

Formerly Shimei!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Tolerate or not....?

- Adultery
- Incest
- Polygamy
- Homosexuality
- Thievery
- Pedophilia
- Rape
- Murder
- Transgenders/transexuals

Where is the line and how do you draw it?

Individuals who practice any of those behaviors should be given special rights and we should all tolerate it.

What we should not tolerate is anyone who places judgment on the said individual. Right???

PlastikBuddha

Individuals who practice any of those behaviors should be given special rights and we should all tolerate it.

What we should not tolerate is anyone who places judgment on the said individual. Right???
:rolleyes:
/irony
Yep. That's exactly it. Tolerance is about special rights for everyone except Christians.
/irony

Ktoyou

Hall of Fame

Those are examples on the intolerable wrong that is unrighteous, but worst are the false prophets, those who bilk the innocent and ill- informed out of their savings with their lies. The lair is prince of sin.

bybee

Not me!!

Not me!!

I am not gonna do it! and now I hate you. bybee

WizardofOz

So, if a rap song states, "take your ho and throw her to the ground." (or something similar)

Should that be tolerated?

If you are not going to tolerate it, what next? You turn off the music. :thumb:

Are you insinuating that the expression itself should be censored and therefore not tolerated?

Slippery slope IMO.

That is my question to anyone who has named things they will not tolerate (things which are legal, come on people), how are you going to go about not tolerating these things?

Status
Not open for further replies.