toldailytopic: Tolerance and diversity, where and how should we draw the line? (what

Status
Not open for further replies.

WizardofOz

I'm not insinuating anything, I was just asking a question.

I suppose I am looking for clarification for your question "should that be tolerated?"

If someone says no, it shouldn't be.....then what?

That's what lead me to ask: if we don't want to tolerate something, how do we go about not tolerating.

DocJohnson

No, its doesn't. Tolerance is not an all or nothing concept.

I see color in my world....how is everything so black and white for so many?

tol⋅er⋅ate [verb] - to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit; support; to endure without repugnance; put up with.

I fail to see the flexibility in that definition.

CabinetMaker

Member of the 10 year club on TOL!!
Hall of Fame
As Geno Geraci is fond of saying, we expect non-believers to act like non-believers. I think that as long non-believers are acting within the law, we tolerate their behavior. If they ask us to legitimize grossly amoral behavior such as gay marriage, then you stand with God. When it comes to our churches then we should not tolerate things from our fellow Christians. We need to set a good example and hold each other accountable.

WizardofOz

tol⋅er⋅ate [verb] - to allow the existence, presence, practice, or act of without prohibition or hindrance; permit; support; to endure without repugnance; put up with.

Would you be tolerant of a mother breast feeding her newborn in public?

If so, does that issue have anything to do with your tolerance regarding other issues? Can you not tolerate one thing without tolerating another?

Thunder's Muse

Well, here's hoping that you never find yourself needing a little tolerance from others.....

quip

BANNED
Banned
I will let other members answer you and if no one does, than I will explain it. What I said is clear if you think it through

You allow others to speak upon your moral discernibly?! Interesting...sad but interesting. :think:

zoo22

This means you have to be able to tolerate anything and everything under the sun.

Where in the world in that definition do you get "this means you have to be able to tolerate anything and everything under the sun?"

Your definition is a meaning of "tolerate," not what you have to tolerate.

I, for one, cannot and will not do that.

As well you shouldn't... I don't think anyone is asking you to?

lucy

Tolerance

Tolerance

I think Jesus showed us what tolerance and diversity are about. With the adulterous woman, he spoke to her, showed her love and compassion, but also told her to "go and sin no more". With the woman at the well, he did the same. He was compassionate, exposed her sin in a loving manner, not condemning, and she was changed by her encounter with him.

In Paul's letters, we see how diversity is handled - the early church was made up of Gentiles and Jews. The question was asked, "Should the Gentiles have to be circumcised and keep the dietary laws, etc. " and the answer was "No" . The Gentiles did not have to become Jewish in their culture- the Jews were to accept their Gentile brethren. In turn, the Gentiles were to be sensitive to their Jewish brethren's sensitivities. So as a Gentile in that context, you would not openly tell the Jewish visitor to your home that you were serving meat sacrificed to false gods.

So tolerance to me is to "do unto others as you would have them do unto you" .

Lucy :)

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Do you realize that doing it in public is a pervert/pedophile's fantasy?

Do you realize that just guiding your 5 year old down the street is a pedophile's fantasy, right?

Why on earth would you allow an infant to be uncomfortable or hungry because you are worried someone might be a pedophile?

DocJohnson

Why on earth would you allow an infant to be uncomfortable or hungry because you are worried someone might be a pedophile?

It's putting the mother at risk as well. That's why they created breast pumps and baby bottles.

Use common sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.