toldailytopic: What public figure would you like to meet?

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I loved the Red Wedding. Catelyn Stark was a bitter woman, made moreso by the death of her husband and the apparent deaths of her younger sons. Also, she hated Jon Snow for reasons beyond his control. For these reasons, I found her POV chapters plodding.
Spoiler tags!

Spoiler
But Robb!

I understand your feelings about Catelyn; but I think you have to think in the terms of the time frame regarding her feelings toward Jon. As far as she knew he was the bastard son of her husband, and instead of stow him away as most men did he accepted him as a son as much as he could. Of course, we all know Ned was probably lying...

And at least she didn't kill Jon like a certain someone tried to do to all her husband's bastards.

However, there is still Robb. Why did George have to kill Robb?! It's not fair!

Any anger I feel about the Red Wedding I tend to pin on Walder Frey.
George still wrote the book. Of course, he redeemed himself a little with that other wedding and the crossbow incident.

Oh, yes. Plus I've read the Sandman books, as well as American Gods, Anansi Boys, and the novel he co-wrote with Terry Prachett, Good Omens. The first book of his I read though was his biography of Douglas Adams, Don't Panic!
I've read Anansi Boys, but none of the others. I really need to.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
Obama

arizona-gov-jan-brewer-gave-obama-a-swift-slap-in-the-face-on-the-first-day-his-immigration-policy-went-into-effect.jpg
:chuckle:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Leonard Ravenshill is a load of RUBBISH

I do not automatically bin a theological work because I disagree with the theology, I fundamentally disagree with Billy Graham's theological stance in both the doctrine and the method of his evangelism...but he is a soulwinner, all soulwinners have a wisdom not of this world, they have a heart both for God and the souls of men. Moreover Billy is a humble man. America does not know the treasure they have had in Billy Graham.

Leonard Ravenshill I scarcely could bear to read a page and half of before chucking it away in disgust. He is regarded as perhaps the foremost authority on revival.

His basic stance is this.

The reason why revival tarries according to him is because the church does not see God as Isaiah saw Him. And there will never be revival until the church does see Him so.

In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne high and lifted up and His train filled the temple.
Above Him stood the Seraphim, each had six wings etc....and one called to the other and said.

"Holy Holy Holy is the Lord of hosts
the whole earth is full of His glory"

And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called and the house was filled with smoke. And I said "woe is me! for I am lost, I am a man of unclean lips and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips, for my eyes have seen the King, the Lord of hosts.

Let me tell you something, Ravenshill and all holiness folk like him contend that until the church comes to the place here that Isaiah was at, until they see God sitting upon a throne high and lifted up, until they see His train filling the temple, until they fall upon their faces crying "woe is me, woe is me" there can never be revival in the church. Ravenshill and his bunch have never experienced these things but they insist YOU must.

But Ravenshill has never seen the Lord sitting upon the throne, he has not seen his train fill the temple, he has never fallen upon his face crying "woe is me, woe is me" These things have never happened to him but he insists that they must happen to YOU. YOU must see God like that, YOU must fall upon your face crying "woe is me, woe is me" and until you do my friend [according to Ravenshill and his ilk] you will never know revival.

It is RUBBISH and it ought to be thrown out as such. But the church is in awe of such teaching as this, indeed it has an appearance of wisdom. I am sure that God DOES sit upon His throne in unapproachable light and glory, I am sure that the angels cover their eyes at the sight of God's glory and cry out "Holy, Holy, Holy"
But God's glory is not what you think my friends, it isn't what Ravenshill thought. It is what the Apostle John saw, no, no, not in the Revelation, not on the mount of transfiguration, John saw it here...

John.12:36b--41a
When Jesus had said this He departed
and hid Himself from them
Though He had done so many signs before them yet they did not believe in Him.
It was the that word that Isaiah the Prophet spoke might be fulfilled
Lord who has believed our report and to whom has the arm of the Lord been revealed?
therefore they could not believe

He has blinded their eyes and hardened their heart lest they should see with their eyes
and percieve with their heart and turn for me to heal them.

Isaiah said this because he had seen His glory and spoke of Him.

Isaiah saw Jesus, he saw the miracles Jesus did, THAT was the glory Isaiah saw in the temple. Isaiah saw it from the viewpoint of God on the throne. He saw the affect that Jesu's miracles had upon God the Father in heaven, how that God's countenance was lifted up and lit up the heavens as He saw the mercy and deliverance being poured out upon the people in healing and setting free from ALL the works of the devil.

No wonder the angels covered their eyes...then Isaiah realized how unclean his lips were, and the lips of the people....they were saying the WRONG THING about God. Portraying God like an angry Tyrant, full of wrath when all the time God is kind and gracious, yearning to bless and to heal and to bind up the wounds of His people.

Ravenshill goes on to say after talking about Isaiah's vision "we don't want to see another miracle...etc" THAT'S why I say Ravenshill is a load of RUBBISH.

Last edited:

Totton Linnet

Silver Subscriber
Umm I made a mistake...I got hot posting about Ravenshill and posted it in the wrong thread...it should be in the "revival in the western chuch" thread

oops

Truster

I was going to say Satan, but I've met him. He's not the best of company when you get to know of him and recognise his subtle ways.

Dead.

William Wordsworth. I'd like to hike with him in the Lake District and discuss his poetry.

TruthSetsFree

Sarah Palin

I would say Charles Krauthammer... but he might start trying to (not out loud but...) psychoanalyze me... and that makes me very nervous...

Christ's Word

N.T. Wright, the most significant Biblical Historian and theologian of our day. Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the most courageous man of God, since Jesus Christ.

Skybringr

BANNED
Banned
What public figure would you like to meet?

David Bowie.
There's something about the man I find extraordinary. I would love to just sit down and chat with him over a twelve pack :)

♫ And I'm floating in the most peculiar way ♫

Cruciform

N.T. Wright, the most significant Biblical Historian and theologian of our day.
Well...the most significant Protestant Biblical Historian and theologian, perhaps. I do like his books, however, and even own an autographed copy of The Challenge of Jesus.

Dietrich Bonhoeffer, the most courageous man of God since Jesus Christ.
One of them, anyway. Maximilian Kolbe comes to mind, among many others.

Gaudium de veritate,

Cruciform
+T+

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I'd like to have dinner with Merton, Tolkien, Lewis and Chesterton on one side of the table and Spike Mulligan, Oscar Wilde, Dorothy Parker and G.B. Shaw on the other.

I'd moderate. :)