toldailytopic: When Mormons come to your door.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alate_One

As to the OP, I always invite them in, break out my Greek NT, and keep them occupied for as long as I possibly can. The more time they spend with me the less time they have to try to convert someone else.
Good points. Now all I need to do is learn Greek . . . :think:

For me, I've not had Mormons at my actual door. Though for some reason I ran into them in the gardens back at Michigan State twice. The first time nothing really came of it since I was in a hurry. The second time, after some discussion about their beliefs vs. mine and asking them what they would do if they found out the person that baptized them had committed some horrible sin. I explained how I believed God honors our hearts rather than the act being dependent on the righteousness of the person baptizing. They seemed really freaked out by this concept, among other things and were trying to get away from ME towards the end rather than vice versa, I was having fun. :chuckle:

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have had more than a few visits. I live in Arizona, after all. ;)

I ask them in, offer refreshments, and them move them to my study, which is basically full of bookcases of theological books, including an entire bookcase with nothing but bibles.

I give them my card, containing my email address, and links to a couple of web sites with theological themes. I pull out a notepad, write down their names, ask them for their ward and stake information, which I make note of, then ask them what text we will be discussing (KJV bible, D.a.C., P.o.G.P., etc.). I take that text from my shelf and let them proceed. We sometimes start with prayer and I ask if I could lead. Occasionally, they allow me to do so, probably because they seem intimidated by my study or my old age. Who knows? ;)

As they proceed in the scripted manner of their training, I take plenty of notes, and then feed back to them what they have stated, while asking pointed questions designed to make them think deeper. My questions revolve around two themes: "Who is God?" and "Who is Jesus Christ?" These are two most important questions of our lives. Either we have these right or we are worshiping nothing but idols. :squint:

Sometimes these meetings end abruptly, sometimes they last for an hour or two. No matter, I use the time to plant a few seeds that I hope will send them on their way with some "homework" at the end of their long day. On two occasions in the past seventeen years, they returned with one of the bishops for more discussion. But this stopped once it became known that I was a good friend with the stake president (see below).

In all these meetings, I remain respectful and cognizant of the fact that I am dealing with youthful enthusiasts, and all that accompanies that stage of a young man's development.

My accountant is a stake president and he has commented to me that word reached him about this guy down in Chandler who was civil to the local missionaries and had asked some "tough questions".

One of these missionaries who met with me some twelve years ago, is now a CIA branch officer in a major U.S. city and a very ardent Southern Baptist. He tells me that the time we met, while not shaking his faith in Mormonism at the time, did plant a small seed of doubt that ultimately led to his leaving Mormonism. He graciously told me that his time spent in Arizona while a missionary was memorable in one sense because of his visit in my home. When I asked him what was so memorable, he replied that I was kind to him and his fellow missionary, he really envied my library of books, ;) and he was troubled by his inability to engage effectively in our discussion.

Other than this one account, I have no idea if my meetings with these young men were fruitful.

AMR

Last edited:

bybee

Faith in Action

Faith in Action

I have had more than a few visits. I live in Arizona, after all. ;)

I ask them in, offer refreshments, and them move them to my study, which is basically full of bookcases of theological books, including an entire bookcase with nothing but bibles.

I give them my card, containing my email address, and links to a couple of web sites with theological themes. I pull out a notepad, write down their names, ask them for their ward and stake information, which I make note of, then ask them what text we will be discussing (KJV bible, D.a.C., P.o.G.P., etc.). I take that text from my shelf and let them proceed. We sometimes start with prayer and I ask if I could lead. Occasionally, they allow me to do so, probably because they seem intimidated by my study or my old age. Who knows? ;)

As they proceed in the scripted manner of their training, I take plenty of notes, and then feed back to them what they have stated, while asking pointed questions designed to make them think deeper. My questions revolve around two themes: "Who is God?" and "Who is Jesus Christ?" These are two most important questions of our lives. Either we have these right or we are worshiping nothing but idols. :squint:

Sometimes these meetings end abruptly, sometimes they last for an hour or two. No matter, I use the time to plant a few seeds that I hope will send them on their way with some "homework" at the end of their long day. On two occasions in the past seventeen years, they returned with one of the bishops for more discussion. But this stopped once it became known that I was a good friend with the stake president (see below).

In all these meetings, I remain respectful and cognizant of the fact that I am dealing with youthful enthusiasts, and all that accompanies that stage of a young man's development.

My accountant is a stake president and he has commented to me that word reached him about this guy down in Chandler who was civil to the local missionaries and had asked some "tough questions".

One of these missionaries who met with me some twelve years ago, is now a CIA branch officer in a major U.S. city and a very ardent Southern Baptist. He tells me that the time we met, while not shaking his faith in Mormonism at the time, did plant a small seed of doubt that ultimately led to his leaving Mormonism. He graciously told me that his time spent in Arizona while a missionary was memorable in one sense because of his visit in my home. When I asked him what was so memorable, he replied that I was kind to him and his fellow missionary, he really envied my library of books, ;) and he was troubled by his inability to engage effectively in our discussion.

Other than this one account, I have no idea if my meetings with these young men were fruitful.

AMR

God bless you for sharing your God-given gifts! I have believed that when the opportunity presents itself we are obliged to plant a seed. The outcome rests in the Hand of God. Thanks for sharing a lovely story. peace, bybee

Granite

Hall of Fame
In my experience Mormons are quite decent, downright Christian people, and though they make for bland (if pleasant) company, I don't have the patience to indulge their little sales pitch or counter it with what I know about their asinine church history, doctrine, and the sleazy life of Joe Smith. Maybe one of these days I'll want to get into it again but having done a few rounds with JW's and Latter Day Saints, I'm convinced it's a waste of time.

"Thanks, guys, but I don't want you're selling" is usually pretty effective.

Frank Ernest

Hall of Fame
Let me see. The last time the Mormons showed up at my door was some years back. As I remember, they had some books with them. I took a look and decided to buy the books. On the shelf are a King James Bible with appendices, "Book of Mormon", "Doctrines and Covenants" and "Pearl of Great Price." I believe these are the basics for the LDS church.

I know and am acquainted with a few both here and in Salt Lake City. I have used their Family History Centers extensively.

Last edited:

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Having been involved in the Mormon church (when I was about 15) and fighting for years to get my name off the roles because my great aunt enrolled me and my sisters in the church when my mom rented a house from her, I realize that the Mormon missionaries are young men (usually) who are away from home for the first time. I used to have an open invitation to the last pair who came to my house, once a month, for a hot dinner, board game, and discussion. I made it clear that I have had problems with the Mormon church in my past and am not going to be sucked in by their rigamarole. Then, I tell them that I know they are far from home and as young men eat a lot of macaroni and cheese or rice a roni. I tell them that as long as we can stay civil to each other and they not try to convert my daughter (at the time, she was twelve years old) they are welcome to come once a month for a home-cooked dinner and friendly conversation. The first time, they tried to convince me that their church was "the one true church" and I told them that if that was the case, they wouldn't have to use fraud and fakery to get members who were under the age of eighteen (which is what they did to me) and make it near impossible for them to get disassociated from the church. After that, they would come over for the promise home-cooked meal and play Monopoly with me and my daughter and just talk about every-day-life with me.

Persephone66

BANNED
Banned
A friend of mine answered the door with a knife in her hand and said "Can you come back later? We're not done with the virgin."

moparguy

Answer the door with the 12 ga. shotgun slung over the shoulder and ask them if they missed the "no trespassing sign."

chair

Mormons? I'd treat them the same as any Christian missionary who came around.

Let's just say that the last time it happened (and it rarely happens), they left the building rather abruptly.

Status
Not open for further replies.