toldailytopic: Why do you suppose most major media outlets are so overwhelming libera

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"...[O]ne who uses [insensitive terms] leaves himself open to accusation."
Why should I believe your accusation about the man over his own assessment of himself? 1 Cor 2:11

Jesus chose twelve men from different backgrounds with different personalities to be his disciples (Matt. 12:49, 50). God does not seek unanimity or uniformity. That would make for a bunch of Stepford Christians--all looking the same :freak:--all talking the same. :blabla: He is looking for unity (1 Pe 3:8). People have different personalities (Ge 25:27, Prov 22:6). Have patience with them before concluding that they are ugly (Prov 19:11, Ro 14:13, Eph 4:3). Accept differences in personalities (Ro 15:7, 14:13; Eph 4:2). Respect people (Ro 12:10). Love one another. Serve one another (Jn 13:35). Barron.

"People that look up to God rarely look down on other people." ~ Gene Barron

Last edited:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"...[W]hy don't you presume he's being honest when he uses a racist's rhetoric first..."
When he says he meant nothing disparaging by it, I have no reason to doubt him. :plain:

Harry Truman used insensitive language. Was he anti-Semitic? No.

"Harry Truman sometimes used the term "kike" in private conversation, but it was he who went against the advice of his entire State Department and recognized Israel's existence as soon as Israel was declared a state..." Full text: Reid Punished by Liberal Preoccupation with Private Comments

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
Serpent hisses:
Ad hominem

Ad stultum, actually.

(Serpent injects race into yet another thread)

Barbarian suggests:
Denial won't do you any good. Figure out why everything seems to be about race for you..."

If you believe that blacks came from less special monkeys

Doesn't matter what you believe. You need to deal with it.

unless someone gives you a reason to believe that they are a racist, there is no reason to call them one.

I'm just noting your idea about blacks coming from "less special monkeys", and you obsession with race.

Barbarian chuckles:
Calling people "jungle-monkey" would be something a racist moron might do, but I didn't say so."

You did here.

Nope.

You called the officer a racist and a moron.

Nope. I said it would be something such a person might do.

Barbarian observes:
Humans don't come from monkeys.

Barbarian late:
Some apes are more special than others. Two of them were given immoral souls by God. We are their descendants.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
When he says he meant nothing disparaging by it, I have no reason to doubt him. :plain:
He gave you the reason. I've quoted it several times now. And I notice you haven't offered another way of understanding the phrase "banana-eating jungle monkey" when describing a black professor. Come to think of it, neither has he.

Harry Truman used insensitive language. Was he anti-Semitic? No.
I don't know. It might depend on what part of his life you're talking about. He was in the Klan once. But people can change. The fellow in question might, but the first step in that would be an honest admission and acceptance of responsibility.

Because that's who we're talking about, this fellow and not Harry Truman and not political expediency, which is the reason often given to his flirtation with the Klan.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Serpent hisses..."
:yawn: Ad hominem

"Denial won't do you any good. Figure out why everything seems to be about race for you..."
:yawn: Argument Ad Nauseam or Ad infinitum (Repetition)

"...[Y]our idea about blacks coming from "less special monkeys", and you obsession with race."
:yawn: You're projecting again (Eph 4:14). :noway: We are one race--the human race (Ac 17:26).

[You called the officer a racist and a moron.] "Nope..."
[Re: Boston Police Officer sends 'jungle-monkey' e-mail] "So there's occasionally a racist cop? That's news? How about the majority who aren't racists? The good news is, this wingnut got caught, and now they can do something about him. What a moron (Barbarian)." link

SD: "Tell us why the term jungle-monkey supposedly offends you."

Barbarian: "Didn't say it did."

SD: "You called the officer a racist and a moron because you were not offended? Tell us why you were not offended then."

...crickets... :chz4brnz:

Tell us why the term jungle-monkey does not offend you. :sleep:

Last edited:

The Barbarian

BANNED
Banned
I said he was a moron. The point remains. Why are you so obsessed with race that you keep bringing it up on threads that aren't about race?

We are one race

Then why do you keep injecting it into threads? C'mon. You think no one notices?

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"...I notice you haven't offered another way of understanding the phrase "banana-eating jungle monkey" when describing a black professor."
I don't use the term. :plain: What it means to the person who did use it, I can't say--and neither can you (1 Cor 2:11). :rolleyes:

I don't believe blacks came from monkeys. Do you? :smokie:

God created men in his image (Ge 1:26,27; 1Co 11:7) and likeness (Ge 1:26; Jas 3:9). :poly:

[Harry Truman used insensitive language. Was he anti-Semitic?] "I don't know."
I do know. He did more for the Jews than any other U.S. President. He was not anti-Semitic. :dizzy:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
"Why are you so obsessed with race...[?]"
:yawn: You're projecting again. :noway:

"We are one race"
You removed the scripture from my quote (Eph 4:14). We are one race--the human race (Ac 17:26).

"...[W]hy do you keep injecting it into threads?"
Why do I keep injecting scripture into threads at a theology debate forum? :plain:

"...C'mon. You think no one notices?"
You notice. You don't give a damn (Jn 12:47-48).

SD: "Tell us why the term jungle-monkey supposedly offends you."

Barbarian: "Didn't say it did."

SD: "You called the officer a racist and a moron because you were not offended? Tell us why you were not offended then."

...crickets... :chz4brnz:

Tell us why the term jungle-monkey does not offend you. :sleep:

let-there-be-truth.jpg

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I don't use the term.
Didn't say you did.

:plain: What it means to the person who did use it, I can't say--and neither can you.
Sure I can. Words mean things. And if you can't explain, can't think of a reasoned way of using "banana-eating jungle monkey" that infers something else (and you apparently can't) then you're left with the bald truth of it. Racists like to compare black people to monkeys. There's a history of it and the reasons for it aren't complicated.

I don't believe blacks came from monkeys.
Not even racists do. That's not why they use it any more than a man might mean another man is literally a donkey because he calls him a variation of that. :plain:

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
[Insensitive term] "What it means to the person who did use it, I can't say--and neither can you."
You removed the scripture from my quote (Eph 4:14). What it means to the person who did use it, I can't say--and neither can you (1 Cor 2:11).

"Sure I can. Words mean things."
The man who used the words knows best what he believes (1 Cor 2:11).

"...And if you can't explain, can't think of a reasoned way of using "banana-eating jungle monkey" that infers something else (and you apparently can't) then you're left with the bald truth of it..."
If we believe you, you're a mind reader. If we believe scripture, you don't know Jack (1 Cor 2:11). :rolleyes:

SD: "I don't believe blacks came from monkeys. Do you?"

TH: "Not even racists do."

Do you? :sleep:

Wile E. Coyote

Why should I believe your accusation about the man over his own assessment of himself? 1 Cor 2:11

Jesus chose twelve men from different backgrounds with different personalities to be his disciples (Matt. 12:49, 50). God does not seek unanimity or uniformity. That would make for a bunch of Stepford Christians--all looking the same :freak:--all talking the same. :blabla: He is looking for unity (1 Pe 3:8). People have different personalities (Ge 25:27, Prov 22:6). Have patience with them before concluding that they are ugly (Prov 19:11, Ro 14:13, Eph 4:3). Accept differences in personalities (Ro 15:7, 14:13; Eph 4:2). Respect people (Ro 12:10). Love one another. Serve one another (Jn 13:35). Barron.

"People that look up to God rarely look down on other people." ~ Gene Barron
You better go back and read my posts again. First, I did NOT accuse in my original statement. I simply informed people here that the term "jungle monkey" is a racist term in my part of the country. Second, you accused me of accusing him and I said that I let God judge his heart. So what's your problem? Show where I ever accused.

I will say only that he was stupid for using a term he knows will come back to bite him. What reasonable and smart person is going to use a term that he KNOWS is going to cause him trouble?

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Is the officer :yawn: a racist?
I really doubt that too many people are stupid enough to call a black man a jungle monkey without thinking it would come across as a racist statement. I do know that if you called a black man a name like that on this forum, I would toss your tail out of here.

serpentdove

BANNED
Banned
I really doubt that too many people are stupid enough to call a black man a jungle monkey without thinking it would come across as a racist statement. I do know that if you called a black man a name like that on this forum, I would toss your tail out of here.
Why?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
...The man who used the words knows best what he believes.
Assumes the man is telling the truth. There's no reason to believe he is and compelling reason to believe he isn't.

If we believe you, you're a mind reader.
I don't have to be. I simply have to realize that there's no other way to read him calling a black professor a "banana-eating jungle monkey".

If we believe scripture, you don't know Jack. :rolleyes:
Ad hominem and I'd note you failed to answer a fairly telling and simple challenge: finding a reasonable alternative reading of his comparison.

I omit your ad hominem. :e4e:

zoo22

Okay, I understand corporate profits driven by ratings. Take that away.

Either the content is accurate, or it's not. Either it's being driven by an agenda, or it isn't.

Looking specifically at the content, it's easy to see when it's being spun, and by whom and for what purpose.

Well, consider that different folks will view the very same news and believe it's biased against their views.