Tyrant Dad

glorydaz

"People who don't believe in spanking only do it when they are angry."

Which, frankly, is a strange way of looking at it. Why would someone who doesn't believe in spanking...spank their kids?

Simple. They don't believe in spanking, so they put it off and put it off and then finally lose their temper and take it out on their kids.....who were only doing what any child will do when left undisciplined.

glorydaz

It's bizarre that someone as combative as Enyart is just letting this go. I wouldn't let someone libel me (or plaster my SSN on the web, for that matter).

I guess the guy's got his reasons. Biggest takeaway is that he's not the tough guy he acts like on the radio.

As for spanking: Plenty of people disagree with corporal punishment for their own reasons, but suggesting we're opposed to it because we fear our own tempers should we spank our children isn't accurate.

It's quite accurate, in fact, although most people refuse to admit it.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
P.S. Is there any truth to her allegations about the attempt to destroy her family? Obviously something set her off. Find it hard to believe this was manufactured purely out of whole cloth.

She does seem to believe that part. She refers to the charges of murder and devil worship as "satire".

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
"People who don't believe in spanking only do it when they are angry."

Which, frankly, is a strange way of looking at it. Why would someone who doesn't believe in spanking...spank their kids?

Exactly.

And there's a strange idea some people have that if you don't spank your kids you don't discipline them, which couldn't be further from the truth.

Speaking from experience, there are a lot of ways to be a proactive parent by using common sense, a little willingness to see things from the child's perspective, and good diversionary skills. It's not that hard to raise good kids into really great young adults without beating them with a belt.

Don't want your two-year-olds crying all the way through the grocery store? Don't take them at 10PM, don't take them when they're cold or hungry, pick them up if they want cuddling and carry them and pull the cart behind you for a while if you have to. Let them snuggle with you and talk to them about what you're doing together. Bond with them.

I'd much rather do all of the above than hit them.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Exactly.

And there's a strange idea some people have that if you don't spank your kids you don't discipline them,
I don't assume that, but it is true of many. It is also true that many people who spank don't effectively discipline.
which couldn't be further from the truth.

Speaking from experience, there are a lot of ways to be a proactive parent by using common sense, a little willingness to see things from the child's perspective, and good diversionary skills.
:up:
It's not that hard to raise good kids into really great young adults without beating them with a belt.
I am wondering if you ever raised a really strong willed child.

Delmar

Patron Saint of SMACK
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Don't want your two-year-olds crying all the way through the grocery store? Don't take them at 10PM, don't take them when they're cold or hungry, pick them up if they want cuddling and carry them and pull the cart behind you for a while if you have to. Let them snuggle with you and talk to them about what you're doing together. Bond with them.

I'd much rather do all of the above than hit them.

Me too! Don't assume that people who believe that spanking is one effective parenting tool believe it is the only effective parenting tool.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Would you whip your children with a belt? Would you let your father whip your children with a belt?

I would whip my child with a belt if I saw him turning into a murderer.
The thought of going to jail wouldn't stop me if my son was on the verge of self destruction. To not do so would be unfathomable to me.

My 16 yr old is a youth ministry leader and a 4.0 grade avg.
my 11 yr old is also a straight A student and a believer.
My 15 yr old has a B avg. and loves The Lord.

I've hit all three with a wooden stick at least once but not for at least 4 years.

They learned that I potentially will impose a penalty if needed and I don't have to anymore. But I would if they were going the way of the wicked.

glorydaz

Me too! Don't assume that people who believe that spanking is one effective parenting tool believe it is the only effective parenting tool.

:thumb:

I didn't have to spank my kids very often, and it was always for open rebellion. It's supposed to be "grievous".....that they are "exercised thereby." No pain no gain isn't just a cliche. It's a truth we see in our own lives. I can honestly say, the Lord has chastened me sore more than once.

Hebrews 12:11
Now no chastening for the present seemeth to be joyous, but grievous: nevertheless afterward it yieldeth the peaceable fruit of righteousness unto them which are exercised thereby.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass

I won't, if you don't assume that "people who don't believe in spanking only do it when they are angry."

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
Simple. They don't believe in spanking, so they put it off and put it off and then finally lose their temper and take it out on their kids.....who were only doing what any child will do when left undisciplined.
:thumb:

Don't want your two-year-olds crying all the way through the grocery store? Don't take them at 10PM, don't take them when they're cold or hungry, pick them up if they want cuddling and carry them and pull the cart behind you for a while if you have to. Let them snuggle with you and talk to them about what you're doing together.
There are much better ways to do this than these methods. Ways that allow you to be sure they won't cry in the middle of the store, for any reason. At that age they shouldn't be crying for any reason other than they are hurt or sad for a valid reason.

I don't know if they were particularly strong-willed or not, honestly.
Then they were not.

Because I couldn't as a child, I wanted them to be able to talk to me...
You make it sound as though you were abused as a child. I do find that it is typically those who were who will not spank, because they perceive any discipline wherein the child is struck as abuse, due to a broken perspective.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
There are much better ways to do this than these methods. Ways that allow you to be sure they won't cry in the middle of the store, for any reason. At that age they shouldn't be crying for any reason other than they are hurt or sad for a valid reason.

You have no idea what you're talking about. Literally.

Then they were not.
You don't know my kids. Sorry, you don't get to make any determination about them at all, but it doesn't surprise me that you think you can.

You make it sound as though you were abused as a child. I do find that it is typically those who were who will not spank, because they perceive any discipline wherein the child is struck as abuse, due to a broken perspective.
I wasn't spanked by my parents, let alone belted. You look more ridiculous with each post as you try to 'school' me in parenting. This is one place where you don't, and are unable to know what I know. My experience trumps yours, no matter how hard you try. End of story.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
You have no idea what you're talking about. Literally.
Treating my inexperience in raising children of my own as though I couldn't begin to know the first thing about raising children is pathetic. Especially when there are a number of those here who have, or are, who agree with me.

You don't know my kids. Sorry, you don't get to make any determination about them at all, but it doesn't surprise me that you think you can.
If they had been strong willed you would know. Apparently you don't know the meaning of the term if you think I'm wrong on this.

I wasn't spanked by my parents, let alone belted. You look more ridiculous with each post as you try to 'school' me in parenting. This is one place where you don't, and are unable to know what I know. My experience trumps yours, no matter how hard you try. End of story.
What I said was not a generalization. I posted an observation, because you said your parents would not talk to you about their parenting decisions. And, fyi, that is a form of abuse.

And as far as experience with abuse goes, I certainly have it. My stepmother once had her hands around my throat. She liked to run water while I was in the shower. Sometimes she made me eat my dinner on the floor, like an animal.

I can tell you right now, that is not how to raise a child. But since I have no kids of my own, I must be wrong.

This Charming Manc

I wouldn't be a usual course of action , I wouldn't want to rule it out.

I can't think of any obvious actions that would make me consider it.

However if my kids were involved in behavior which had a serious risk to life or could carry a serious prison sentence, yes I would. I'd consider the shock of such an action, and possible negative effect on the relationship with my child a price worth paying to keep my kids away from that behavoir.

Saying that in 7 years of a parenting I have only ever smacked twice and never with anything but my hand.

Once when a two year old opened a gate and looked like she was about to walk onto a busy road, the other when she had escalated a simple telling off into outright rebellion.

However this is an issue id never gone to bob for advice on, actually I don't think there is an issue id go bob for advice on :)

Would you whip your children with a belt? Would you let your father whip your children with a belt?