Vaccination progress

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Curiosity: From what I understand, the vaccine does not stop the virus "at all" just makes the symptoms milder, thus it doesn't 'seem' to me we can call this an immunization. I'm also hearing that if you get the shot now, if they do come up with an actual immunization, you'll not be able to get it, likely. Then I was thinking if I have the shot, only get a mild cold for symptoms, will I actually give it to more people, because I think I'm 'immunized?' This particular has me puzzled because I'm actually hearing from doctors, first responders, and nurses that are holding off from getting the shot at this particular time. I've a pretty good mind, but am about brow-beat whenever I tell anybody "I'm considering not getting the shot." Some of my friends are talking about not letting me in their homes if I don't, which makes it a bit more problematic for decision making. Seems like a very important decision and not to be entered lightly.
I've shared before that I've lived through this in the past when I was working in the field in the early eighties at the onset of HIV/AIDS and this feels so similar. AIDS was of course politicized by the pro homosexual lobby which lost us a lot of time.

chair

What about a person's freedom? It only applies to not getting vaccinated, and not wearing a mask? Selective freedom for party members only?

chair

Dude. Get vaccinated as many times as you want. Wear as many masks as you want.

Just leave the rest of us alone.
Nope. Sorry. I'm not going to let this anti-vax nonsense go unchallenged. Not because of you or freeloader, but because you might convince others to not get vaccinated.

JudgeRightly

裁判官が正しく判断する
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
. . . this anti-vax nonsense . . .

You're conflating not wanting to get a specific vaccine with being against ALL vaccinations, which is what "anti-vax" means. Doser is even telling you to get vaccinated, which is literally the exact opposite of being "anti-vax."

As far as I'm aware, no one here is "anti-vax." No one here is saying to not get any vaccine ever.

What we're "anti-" is driving people with fear into being a guinea pig for a relatively untested vaccine for a virus that at worst most likely won't kill them, maybe inconveniencing them for a few days in which they should be quarantining themselves like normal people would, and at best won't show any symptoms whatsoever.

. . . you might convince others to not get vaccinated.

And they would have the right to make that decision themselves, despite your fearmongering.

chair

You're conflating not wanting to get a specific vaccine with being against ALL vaccinations, which is what "anti-vax" means. Doser is even telling you to get vaccinated, which is literally the exact opposite of being "anti-vax."

As far as I'm aware, no one here is "anti-vax." No one here is saying to not get any vaccine ever.

What we're "anti-" is driving people with fear into being a guinea pig for a relatively untested vaccine for a virus that at worst most likely won't kill them, maybe inconveniencing them for a few days in which they should be quarantining themselves like normal people would, and at best won't show any symptoms whatsoever.

And they would have the right to make that decision themselves, despite your fearmongering.
Thank you for the correction.

This isn't baseless "fear-mongering". You repeating that mantra doesn't make it true.

Lon

Nope. Sorry. I'm not going to let this anti-vax nonsense go unchallenged. Not because of you or freeloader, but because you might convince others to not get vaccinated.
But that was my question: Is it an actual vaccination, or just an insistence on one particular remedy (like insisting on NyQuil or vitamin D injections)? The current remedies are just brand names and bandaids, like nasal spray or zinc. At least that is the way doctors trying to help me be informed are explaining it to me and why they aren't taking the shot themselves. There are parents not inoculating their kids for measles and polio, but those actually stop the disease. The 3 shots developed do not stop the disease, only make it milder (like the medicines over the counter for the common cold that has no cure). As far as I can tell, at this time from a lot of input, the insistence is like telling someone they have to go by NyQuil or Afrin or they are irresponsible. The worst downside, to me, is that if they ever do develop an actual cure, all who have had these shot may be ineligible to receive it :(

chair

But that was my question: Is it an actual vaccination, or just an insistence on one particular remedy (like insisting on NyQuil or vitamin D injections)? The current remedies are just brand names and bandaids, like nasal spray or zinc. At least that is the way doctors trying to help me be informed are explaining it to me and why they aren't taking the shot themselves. There are parents not inoculating their kids for measles and polio, but those actually stop the disease. The 3 shots developed do not stop the disease, only make it milder (like the medicines over the counter for the common cold that has no cure). As far as I can tell, at this time from a lot of input, the insistence is like telling someone they have to go by NyQuil or Afrin or they are irresponsible. The worst downside, to me, is that if they ever do develop an actual cure, all who have had these shot may be ineligible to receive it :(
I simply don't understand you. It's a vaccine! It stops most people from getting sick at all, and the few who get sick don't get very sick, because their immune systems are primed to deal with the virus. It's a vaccine!

Lon

I simply don't understand you. It's a vaccine! It stops most people from getting sick at all, and the few who get sick don't get very sick, because their immune systems are primed to deal with the virus. It's a vaccine!
Again, does 'the shot' stop someone else from getting it 'from' me if I'm exposed? I am reading more reports that say "93%" but it doesn't tell me (clearly) if I come in contact with it, though it may only be mild for me, am I actually safe to be around other people? (From what I'm hearing, "No! Still wear your mask! You can still catch it! You can still give it to people!" (in the news 'reportedly' from doctors).
Facts. Why can't you 'understand' someone asking for facts?

Why are the last 3 doctors and nurses I've talked to not getting the shot? Why did people in the medical profession, people who have a lot of time in on these degrees, say "not now"? WHY do my questions NOT make sense? Are you just wanting to harp on me when I don't get a vaccine or do you want to educate me to make a wise decision? Is there a point to this thread, otherwise? 🤔 (I'm perfectly capable of doing my own research and will be doing so, but in the meantime, you COULD have weighed in with what you may (or not) know. -Lon