What is the "plain reading" of this scripture?

Aimiel

So many problems come when we try to force a literal historical fact type reading of the bible. It can't be read that way as it makes it silly and not true. The bible is analogy, parable, metaphor and symbolism.

Stuff like Genesis didn't literally happen. They impart a moral. Hence the saying the moral of the story. That is the only sane way to read the bible.
Sane? Sounds insane to me, since not one single historic fact stated in Scripture has ever been disproved, not one single scientific fact has ever been disproved and certainly not one spiritual Truth related there has ever been proven in error. Sorry, but one who takes Scripture as purely symbolic doesn't understand Truth. You need to read your Bible more and pray for understanding. Yours is darkened.

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
Magic is not real. We agree.
Everything that had ever begun to exist has a cause.
God's Word explains that He is the cause.

It explains it figuratively not literally though. There is a big difference. Science doesn't dispute a cause. It just doesn't know what it is. It is silent on cause.

What caused the big bang? Science doesn't know. Doesn't even pretend to know.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
It explains it figuratively not literally though. There is a big difference. Science doesn't dispute a cause. It just doesn't know what it is. It is silent on cause.

What caused the big bang? Science doesn't know. Doesn't even pretend to know.

Interesting, was there a big bang?

drbrumley

Matthew 4 describes the temptation of Christ, and Matthew 4:8 describes how Satan took Jesus to the top of an "exceedingly high mountain" and "showed him all the kingdoms of the world".

Under a "plain reading", this would seem to depict a flat earth. Otherwise, why point out that the mountain was "exceedingly high?

:rotfl: another attempt to mock those who follow Christ.

bybee

Oh magic being not real isn't an opinion. It is sane reality. If you have evidence of magic demonstrate it. Otherwise like any other outlandish claims I just scoff. Time to grow up and deal with reality Christianity.

And your scoffing is somehow meant to be important to me?

Aimiel

One of those is real..... the other is a psuedoscientific belief.
In case you've just joined us, the norm is for people (yes, even scientists) to accept pseudo-scientific beliefs as fact, even though they don't even qualify as a theory. :thumb:

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I think you arw confusing a tv show with the Big Bang belief system? :)
One of those is real..... the other is a psuedoscientific belief.

Nope! The origin of the earth through a Big Bang is THEORY only! Prove it to be scientific fact.

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
And your scoffing is somehow meant to be important to me?

I scoff at superstition and magic as a substitution for rational though. If you believe in magic then show some magic. I have never seen any and I have been in churches my whole life.

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
Nope! The origin of the earth through a Big Bang is THEORY only! Prove it to be scientific fact.

Proof only exists in mathematics. Science deals with evidence. You don't even have a basic understanding of the physics, chemistry or what you are talking about obviously.

Just saying magic isn't rational or good. It is lazy.

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Proof only exists in mathematics. Science deals with evidence. You don't even have a basic understanding of the physics, chemistry or what you are talking about obviously.

Just saying magic isn't rational or good. It is lazy.

Who said anything about magic except for you?

OliviaM

BANNED
Banned
Who said anything about magic except for you?

The fundamentalist creation account is filled with nothing but magic. It goes against observable reality. That is bad. It is willful ignorance and worship of magic. Not reality.

You said theory in a way that demonstrates you don't even understand the definition of theory. I am sure people have explained it to you, but you prefer to continue in willful ignorance. That is ok, but it isn't a demonstration of any true faith. It is simply petulance.

Science doesn't deal in proof. Only math deals with proof. Science deals with evidence.

If you have a reason to dispute a particular theory of cosmology go ahead. However, just filling in the parts you are ignorant of with things that a particular branch of science doesn't even say is intellectual dishonesty. If you have to be intellectually dishonest you don't have truth on your side.

The universe is not 6,000 years old and physics is real. Magic is not.

Grosnick Marowbe

Hall of Fame
If the holy spirit gives the interpretation and not the individual then where are there so many interpretations?

Also, if it is just a literal fact book there is no interpretation needed. It is to be read like a car manual. Which it obviously is not.

Literalism is a tool to control. Churches that use this tool are cults.

Your "church" teaches you these things? Or, are you just a run of mill anti-Christian?
You're very transparent. Have you been on TOL under another name?

Bright Raven

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The fundamentalist creation account is filled with nothing but magic. It goes against observable reality. That is bad. It is willful ignorance and worship of magic. Not reality.

You said theory in a way that demonstrates you don't even understand the definition of theory. I am sure people have explained it to you, but you prefer to continue in willful ignorance. That is ok, but it isn't a demonstration of any true faith. It is simply petulance.

Science doesn't deal in proof. Only math deals with proof. Science deals with evidence.

If you have a reason to dispute a particular theory of cosmology go ahead. However, just filling in the parts you are ignorant of with things that a particular branch of science doesn't even say is intellectual dishonesty. If you have to be intellectually dishonest you don't have truth on your side.

The universe is not 6,000 years old and physics is real. Magic is not.

Were the heavens and the earth created in 6 days? And you think the earth is how old? Thank you, I'll stick with the biblical view of creation.