What is your answer to "The Race Problem"?

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Maybe you should have listened you might have a better insight on why society is in trouble, and the who's ideology has brought it to where we are today. Denial is not a river in Egypt...:juggle:

I listened longer than I should have.

Getting back to the thread topic, the ways that Blacks are discriminated against by law enforcement and the judicial system ensures that their incarceration numbers will remain elevated in proportion to White incarcerations. It really is the system. You're committing a fundamental attribution error when you put all the blame on their supposed lapses of character, instead of on powerful situational factors over which they have little control.

In the slight hope that anyone will read this, I'm going to post the link again:

Yes, Black America Fears The Police. Here's Why.

chair

Having grown up in Detroit, I find this question painful. How is it that things are still so bad in the US after so many years?

I think the problem is deeper than this or that policy, mistaken as some of those may have been.

The basic problem is cultural, both within parts of the Black community and parts of the White community, along with a lack of a real national will to change things.

I think the key to solving this is education. And it will take time, maybe a couple of generations, to really change things. That kind of thinking requires a strong national will, one that I am not sure the US has.

On a aside, I am not a fan of many of Mr. Obama's policies. But my biggest disappointment was his very limited involvement in calming down recent race tensions. He should have been out there, in the streets, helping reassure and calm people. He could have had a unique historic role in the US, and I think he has missed his opportunity to do something important.

glorydaz

Having grown up in Detroit, I find this question painful. How is it that things are still so bad in the US after so many years?

I think the problem is deeper than this or that policy, mistaken as some of those may have been.

The basic problem is cultural, both within parts of the Black community and parts of the White community, along with a lack of a real national will to change things.

I think the key to solving this is education. And it will take time, maybe a couple of generations, to really change things. That kind of thinking requires a strong national will, one that I am not sure the US has.

On a aside, I am not a fan of many of Mr. Obama's policies. But my biggest disappointment was his very limited involvement in calming down recent race tensions. He should have been out there, in the streets, helping reassure and calm people. He could have had a unique historic role in the US, and I think he has missed his opportunity to do something important.

He certainly could have....but, he actually seemed to work hard at making it worse. If you think back, it was not anywhere near this bad when he took office as it is now. Time after time he stoked the fire, and it did not have to be that way.

lukecash12

We could make a lot of progress as a society if we recognized this: there is no such thing as a "race" of people.

http://www.livinganthropologically.com/anthropology/race-reconciled-debunks-race/

Race is not an accurate or productive way to describe human biological variation
–Heather J.H. Edgar and Keith L. Hunley, Race Reconciled, 2009:2

Wait, What?
Race is a categorization at the sub-species level. Everyone has long agreed that human beings are a single inter-breeding species, and have been for thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of years. To sort a species into sub-species, it is necessary to have biological variation AND a way to group that variation. We have biological variation. The problem comes in establishing the ways variation clumps, groups, or sorts into subsets. We can try this in terms of skin color or skull characteristics, bone measurements, and genetic variation.

Race Reconciled: Skin Color and Skulls
Most people in the U.S. think they use skin color to classify races. U.S. categories relate to skin color, but not exactly. If it was actually about skin color, racial classifications would look more like Brazil, with lots of different terms and gradations. If it were about skin color, then people might change race classification over the years, or children from the same parents could be classified as different races.

In contrast, the traditional U.S. system is known anthropologically as hypo-descent: children get the racial classification of the parent with the least socially desirable classification. Barack Obama, Halle Berry, and some of Thomas Jefferson’s descendants are considered black. The most extreme example is the “one drop rule,” that any black ancestry meant being classified as black. There have been recent shifts in these attitudes, and there have been regional and historical variations, but this system remains dominant.

Unlike some textbooks and pronouncements which use this information to declare all physical variation is clinal, Relethford proceeds to consider craniometric or skull variation. Here the picture is different, as Relethford finds that crania are “geographically structured” (2009:18). The differences cluster according to geographic region and reflect genetic relationships: “Global patterns of craniometric variation reflect largely underlying patterns of genetic relationship, which in turn reflect geographic structure” (2009:19). However, even though there are recognizable clusters, “there are no abrupt breaks in the relationship between phenotypic and geographic distance . . . indicating that decisions for subdivision into clusters (or races) are going to be subjective” (2009:19). Relethford explains that although it is possible to discern geographic ancestry by continent, the number of groups which could be classified and the geographic cutoffs would be “subjective decisions” (2009:20).

Long story short, the genetic phenotypes (genes that present themselves visibly like skin color) that we all obsess over are less than the head of a pin in the whole phenotype miasma, let alone the whole genetic miasma. I can have more in common genetically with a Japanese person than an Irish person like myself.

Race is a Social Construction
The Human Species: An Introduction to Biological Anthropology

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
We could make a lot of progress as a society if we recognized this: there is no such thing as a "race" of people.

http://www.livinganthropologically.com/anthropology/race-reconciled-debunks-race/

Race is not an accurate or productive way to describe human biological variation
–Heather J.H. Edgar and Keith L. Hunley, Race Reconciled, 2009:2

Long story short, the genetic phenotypes (genes that present themselves visibly like skin color) that we all obsess over are less than the head of a pin in the whole phenotype miasma, let alone the whole genetic miasma. I can have more in common genetically with a Japanese person than an Irish person like myself.

Race is a Social Construction
The Human Species: An Introduction to Biological Anthropology

But what about the different smells of other races; the stank ?

Isaiah 3:24 KJV -

lukecash12

But what about the different smells of other races; the stank ?

Isaiah 3:24 KJV -

Can't argue with that logic. And why on earth is this an emoticon here: :bowser:

It's pretty legit, but I haven't found a good reason to use it yet. Or have I?

But don't mind me guys, just disproving that "race" is even a thing in a discussion about race. Why are we so dumb that something that isn't even real is such a problem? Oh, that's right...

Little Britain

Alate_One

Thank liberalism for creating a welfare state, an entire entitlement society that enables people to not achieve and gives them the avenue not to. Thank liberalism for the destruction of the family and the lauding of single parent families , destruction of the family is at the core of all America's woes.
Really? this is the best you can do. The problem is , the race problem existed before the new deal, and after many new deal policies were rolled back.

Government policy is certainly a factor in perpetuating the race problem. But I would point to segregation, and lack of economic opportunity which was originally mandated by state and local governments as the reason the problem has been maintained.

Concentrate poverty anywhere in the world, as was done with old style public housing and housing policy and you create and maintain two different worlds for children to grow up in.

How do you maintain a family when one THIRD of all men in your community are sent to jail? There's your family destruction in a nutshell.

158908-163136.gif

Alate_One

But don't mind me guys, just disproving that "race" is even a thing in a discussion about race. Why are we so dumb that something that isn't even real is such a problem? Oh, that's right...
If it weren't real we wouldn't be able to pull out the kind of statistics I show in the OP.

Denying reality doesn't make it stop existing.

The USA is a racialized society, despite the insistence of white Americans that it is colorblind.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
No, you listened but, in spite of that made the conscious decision to harden your heart, & reject God & His Truth. Really it is quite sad...

Maybe you could address this part of my post instead? You must have accidentally left it off.

Getting back to the thread topic, the ways that Blacks are discriminated against by law enforcement and the judicial system ensures that their incarceration numbers will remain elevated in proportion to White incarcerations. It really is the system. You're committing a fundamental attribution error when you put all the blame on their supposed lapses of character, instead of on powerful situational factors over which they have little control.

In the slight hope that anyone will read this, I'm going to post the link again:

Yes, Black America Fears The Police. Here's Why.

annabenedetti

like marbles on glass
Why is it so many more guilty are incarcerated of one race vs. another? If the punishment were equal maybe, but it isn't.

Injustice is present from the very first encounter. The profiling isn't equal, the situational response isn't equal, the arrest process isn't equal.

Quincy

I think it's more of a class problem and happens in more places than just the US. People like Ben Carson (once they achieve their elite status) don't have to worry about unfair treatment, as far as I've noticed, so to me it seems clear that it's more about class and social status.

Some people just view those who have less as plebs and thats the problem. Where I live, there are very few people of African lineage. Most are student athletes who aren't residents but there are some, and they're actually more respected than poor white folks. If you pick up a newspaper, you'll read many articles about drug busts, robberies and so forth but they're almost all done by young, poor people of European descent. Maybe that's because they outnumber the other races by a large percentage or maybe it's because no matter where you go, you always have a lower class who struggles and chooses to do whatever it takes to survive or deal with hard lives.

The police will always see society's perceived plebs as a threat and will focus on them. There's no fix for it.

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
What is your answer to "The Race Problem"?

look at what obama has done for race relations

all he needs is eight more years

rexlunae

No, you listened but, in spite of that made the conscious decision to harden your heart, & reject God & His Truth. Really it is quite sad...

I wish you would listen, sometime. Talking to you is like talking to a brick wall, most of the time. It's like you won't even consider that you might be wrong about something.