What is your answer to "The Race Problem"?

6days

What is the "race problem"?
The race problem? The problem is considering people who are different from yourself to be a different race. The problem starts with a rejection of God's Word that we are all descendants of Adam and Eve. All humanity is "one blood". Christ went to Calvary for the pygmies. ..the dark skin woman...the man with a fold on his eyelids....the Syrian ISIS fighter...and for me. We are the human race that Christ wants to redeem.

rexlunae

Having grown up in Detroit, I find this question painful. How is it that things are still so bad in the US after so many years?

I think the problem is deeper than this or that policy, mistaken as some of those may have been.

The basic problem is cultural, both within parts of the Black community and parts of the White community, along with a lack of a real national will to change things.

I think the key to solving this is education. And it will take time, maybe a couple of generations, to really change things. That kind of thinking requires a strong national will, one that I am not sure the US has.

On a aside, I am not a fan of many of Mr. Obama's policies. But my biggest disappointment was his very limited involvement in calming down recent race tensions. He should have been out there, in the streets, helping reassure and calm people. He could have had a unique historic role in the US, and I think he has missed his opportunity to do something important.

I think a big part of it is that his Presidency has revealed a lot of the hidden problems that still exist, or made them more visible to people who were able to ignore them for a long time. I think a lot of people thought that old attitudes about race were disappearing, but it seems to me that, given the reaction that some people have had to him, they were just hiding below the surface of the political discourse waiting for the right moment to pop out.

aCultureWarrior

BANNED
Banned
LIFETIME MEMBER
What is the "race problem"?...

You're looking at him.

racebaiting.jpg

glorydaz

I think a big part of it is that his Presidency has revealed a lot of the hidden problems that still exist, or made them more visible to people who were able to ignore them for a long time. I think a lot of people thought that old attitudes about race were disappearing, but it seems to me that, given the reaction that some people have had to him, they were just hiding below the surface of the political discourse waiting for the right moment to pop out.

Of course those reactions have NOTHING to do with what Obama has done, right? :nono:

Do you see what you're doing with that statement? Instead of admitting Obama's failures, you're seeing "race" lurking in the deep dark...maybe it's hiding below the surface of your own mind and the mind of other libs, and has popped out for all to see.

rexlunae

Of course those reactions have NOTHING to do with what Obama has done, right? :nono:

As I've pointed out in other places, there were people calling him a secret Muslim and spinning unbelievable theories about his citizenship before he was elected. Those have persisted in small camps since then, despite being comprehensively refuted. So, no, not primarily.

Do you see what you're doing with that statement? Instead of admitting Obama's failures, you're seeing "race" lurking in the deep dark...maybe it's hiding below the surface of your own mind and the mind of other libs, and has popped out for all to see.

You wanna talk about his failures, fine with me. But so much of the criticism isn't about that, it either isn't very specific, or it blames him for how people react to him, or it is untrue. I have to suspect that there is something uglier lurking under the surface.

The Berean

I think it's more of a class problem and happens in more places than just the US. People like Ben Carson (once they achieve their elite status) don't have to worry about unfair treatment, as far as I've noticed, so to me it seems clear that it's more about class and social status.

Some people just view those who have less as plebs and thats the problem. Where I live, there are very few people of African lineage. Most are student athletes who aren't residents but there are some, and they're actually more respected than poor white folks. If you pick up a newspaper, you'll read many articles about drug busts, robberies and so forth but they're almost all done by young, poor people of European descent. Maybe that's because they outnumber the other races by a large percentage or maybe it's because no matter where you go, you always have a lower class who struggles and chooses to do whatever it takes to survive or deal with hard lives.

The police will always see society's perceived plebs as a threat and will focus on them. There's no fix for it.

I agree with this, Quincy. It's class and culture. Parts of some cultures seem to focus on negative atttibutes that harm them. Since we are talking about the "race problem" the problem stems from ignorance from all sides. Part of the black community has a "ghetto" mentality. We all know this. Yet some don't even want to talk about this and if someone wants to talk about it they are often labeled "racist". That does nothing but limit the discussion. And it's not limited to the black community. I'm first generation Mexican-American and I grew up with lots of "vatos", "cholos", and "gangbangers" who had a criminal mindset. It's portayed quite a bit in rap vidoes and films. Any many people (Black, Latino, White) have attempted to address this for decades. But change is slow. This powerful video came out 27 years ago. The knowledge and wisdom in this video has not been heeded in 27 years!!! :noid: Pay close attention to the lyrics. :think:

The media is also gulity for it never ending promotion and exploitation of the most negative racial stereotypes. For example why do we never hear about black people like this?

Victor Glover, NASA Astronaut

Dr. Randall Pinkett, Entreprenuer

Misty Copeland, Ballerina

Lt. Col. Merryl Tengesdal, U-2 pilot

Last edited:

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
What is the "race problem"? The disproportionate outcomes in the United States of people from different racial groups. Higher incarceration rates, higher rates of poverty, lower rates of educational attainment. Etc.

malesinc.jpg

More breakdown on incarceration rates
Spoiler

incarc-rate-by-race-gender-web.png

Poverty Rates
chart_race.jpg

Higher Unemployment rate for the same Educational attainment.

unemployment-race-education-wa.png

So what is the cause of this?
Racism?
Culture?
Motivation?
Societal Structure?
Genetics?
Something else?

(this would be a bit better as a poll ;) )

Lack of morality.

Stripe

Teenage Adaptive Ninja Turtle
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Because, you know, ignoring a problem makes it go away. That worked really well for . . . well nothing. If we ignore the problem long enough maybe people of color will decide they're okay with having the worst outcomes as a group. That's apparently what some of you want.

They are suppressed because of racist welfare programs.

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
So you want to remove welfare payments to people who have already been cut out of decent health care, education and the job market.

Try reading my posts instead of pretending you can read my mind. :up:

Stripe

LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
A lack of morality within the black community.

There is nothing in one community that makes it less moral than another. The problem is the conditions they face, nothing inherent in the character of a group that correlates with skin color.

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There is nothing in one community that makes it less moral than another. The problem is the conditions they face, nothing inherent in the character of a group that correlates with skin color.

I never said anything about inherent. I disagree that poverty is the issue.