When does life begin? Granite vs. reality

Status
Not open for further replies.

On Fire

Granite said:
Not my problem you skim what I write and jump to conclusions, partner.

The ability to defend oneself and recognize your personal rights and liberties indicates higher thought, higher thinking, and self-awareness. That's fairly significant.
So now the mentally disabled are at risk in your neighborhood?

Granite

Hall of Fame
On Fire said:
So now the mentally disabled are at risk in your neighborhood?

Not at all. They are the weak and "least of these," as a certain rabbi pointed out once.

2ephesians8

"The ability to defend oneself and recognize your personal rights and liberties indicates higher thought, higher thinking, and self-awareness. That's fairly significant."

By this rational, you might be able to advocate 'terminating' children as old as, say 2 years. Definately the elderly, diabled, mentally retarded, and anyone who may lack self-worth in general.

On Fire

That's the problem with "libertarians" - their list of exceptions is longer than their list of beliefs.

Granite

Hall of Fame
2ephesians8 said:
"The ability to defend oneself and recognize your personal rights and liberties indicates higher thought, higher thinking, and self-awareness. That's fairly significant."

By this rational, you might be able to advocate 'terminating' children as old as, say 2 years. Definately the elderly, diabled, mentally retarded, and anyone who may lack self-worth in general.

It is one of many criteria I listed previously. I'd appreciate it if you tried to conduct an honest discussion and stopped cherrypicking.

2ephesians8

Granite said:
It is one of many criteria I listed previously. I'd appreciate it if you tried to conduct an honest discussion and stopped cherrypicking.

Why would you appreciate that I stop "Cherry picking"? Is it because under close scrutiny one of your arguments proves to be weak at best and down-right dishonest at worst? If one of your arguments proves false, dishonest, erroneous you know what that does to the rest of your argument?

"And the house that was built upon the sand fell with a great crash."

And:

"You will be able to tell a tree by it's fruit. A good tree can not bear bad fruit, and a bad tree can not bear good fruit."

Granite

Hall of Fame
2ephesians8 said:
Why would you appreciate that I stop "Cherry picking"? Is it because under close scrutiny one of your arguments proves to be weak at best and down-right dishonest at worst? If one of your arguments proves false, dishonest, erroneous you know what that does to the rest of your argument?

"And the house that was built upon the sand fell with a great crash."

And:

"You will be able to tell a tree by it's fruit. A good tree can not bear bad fruit, and a bad tree can not bear good fruit."

:yawn:

I don't think it's weak, I think it's significant. You miss the point. Not my problem.

keypurr

Thoughts to ponder: Life really starts at birth?Gen 2:7 And Jehovah God formed man of the dust of the ground, and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life; and man became a living soul.

Job 7:7 Oh remember that my life is a breath: Mine eye shall no more see good.

Job 33:4 The Spirit of God hath made me, And the breath of the Almighty giveth me life.

Psa 104:29 Thou hidest thy face, they are troubled; Thou takest away their breath, they die, And return to their dust.

Psa 146:4 His breath goeth forth, he returneth to his earth; In that very day his thoughts perish.
Eze 37:5 Thus saith the Lord Jehovah unto these bones: Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live.

Eze 37:6 And I will lay sinews upon you, and will bring up flesh upon you, and cover you with skin, and put breath in you, and ye shall live; and ye shall know that I am Jehovah.

Eze 37:10 So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army.

Rev 11:11 And after the three days and a half the breath of life from God entered into them, and they stood upon their feet; and great fear fell upon them that

Do you find that interesting? Notice it says breath through nostrils. Why was that added to the verse in Genesis

40-70% of fertilized eggs, depending on which study you believe, naturally fail to implant in the uterine wall and are expelled by the body. According to your beliefs, every time this happens would qualify as "natural abortion". This makes mother nature a far more effective aborter than people ever have been or will be.

If God exists and meant for us to treat a fertilized but not yet implated egg as a full human being, why do so few "people" survive our first few hours of "life"?

Poly

Blessed beyond measure
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:

Cherrypicking?

granite said:
The ability to defend oneself and recognize your personal rights and liberties indicates higher thought, higher thinking, and self-awareness.

2ephesians8 points out that 2 year olds, the elderly and the disabled would also be at risk, according to your reasoning and you call it cherrypicking? She brings up something very crucial, pointing out the flaw in your argument. She is conducting an honest discussion. If anybody is trying not to conduct an honest discussion, it would be you in your attempt to evade addressing what she said.

This is so typical of you. If you get backed in a corner or when somebody exposes your obviously flawed arguments, you always come back with some snide remark, trying your best to say something negative about the person you're arguing with in hopes that it will take the focus off the fact that you got served.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Poly said:
Cherrypicking?

2ephesians8 points out that 2 year olds, the elderly and the disabled would also be at risk, according to your reasoning and you call it cherrypicking? She brings up something very crucial, pointing out the flaw in your argument. She is conducting an honest discussion. If anybody is trying not to conduct an honest discussion, it would be you in your attempt to evade addressing what she said.

This is so typical of you. If you get backed in a corner or when somebody exposes your obviously flawed arguments, you always come back with some snide remark, trying your best to say something negative about the person you're arguing with in hopes that it will take the focus off the fact that you got served.

What she's doing is centering on one argument I mentioned and ignoring everything else I said, which you're also doing. As I said, the elderly or disabled or mentally retarded would not be at risk because they are the weakest members of society. This too has gotten completely ignored.

By the way, Poly, you of all people shouldn't be giving lectures on the dispensing of snide remarks. I mean, come on. A lot of us here are guilty of that, yes?

On Fire

Typical, Christians never give me a straight answer to this question. Intellectual cowards, the lot of you.

(see? I can make useless posts too ;) )
I'll talk slower....

W h y - d o - y o u - b e l i e v e - t h a t - n a t u r e - t a k i n g - i t s - c o u r s e - i s - a - l i c e n s e - t o - k i l l ? ? ?

On Fire

On Fire said:
If it's a "mystery" then why wouldn't you err on the side of life? Why would you say "I have no idea when life begins so ABORT!"?

But it's not a "mystery". Egg + Sperm = Life. It grows (as only something alive can do).
Why not err on the side of life?

2ephesians8

Granite said:
What she's doing is centering on one argument I mentioned and ignoring everything else I said, which you're also doing. As I said, the elderly or disabled or mentally retarded would not be at risk because they are the weakest members of society. This too has gotten completely ignored.
OK. Let give your premise some attention. WHO could possibly be a weaker member of society than an unborn baby?

Last edited by a moderator:

Turbo

Caped Crusader
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Granite said:
Not at all. They are the weak and "least of these," as a certain rabbi pointed out once.
So are unborn children who have not yet reached Granite's age-of-value of 5-8 weeks.

Granite

Hall of Fame
2ephesians8 said:
OK. Let give your premise some attention. WHO could possibly be a weaker member of society than an unborn baby?

No one. But a blastocyst or zygote or unattached egg is not a "baby," in my opinion. We're talking past each other.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.