ECT Who for the joy set before Him endured the cross

Cross Reference

“Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2 (NASB)

Joy is something that is experienced. Joy is something that someone is introduced to that by it is the desire to remain in it on a continual basis.

Question: When and What was the joy set before Jesus?

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
“Fixing our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.” Hebrews 12:2 (NASB)

Joy is something that is experienced. Joy is something that someone is introduced to that by it is the desire to remain in it on a continual basis.

the perfect ending

Aimiel

You coming to Heaven, because He could take your death-sentence and save you from hell. He had glory with God before the foundation of the world. He had all the riches there are. He created this earth to sow Himself into so that He could reap a GREAT number of witnesses of His Love and give them eternal life. His Joy at our coming home to be with Him will overwhelm everyone who is Christian. It is greater than any joy there is. He wants to share His Love with us right here and now and we can know His Presence, His Love and His Joy in this life. We can have a closer relationship with Him than Paul had, if we but choose to. We can know this joy, all it takes is wanting it enough to pursue it.

Cross Reference

You coming to Heaven, because He could take your death-sentence and save you from hell. He had glory with God before the foundation of the world. He had all the riches there are. He created this earth to sow Himself into so that He could reap a GREAT number of witnesses of His Love and give them eternal life. His Joy at our coming home to be with Him will overwhelm everyone who is Christian. It is greater than any joy there is. He wants to share His Love with us right here and now and we can know His Presence, His Love and His Joy in this life. We can have a closer relationship with Him than Paul had, if we but choose to. We can know this joy, all it takes is wanting it enough to pursue it.

What was in it for the Father that Jesus, the man could rejoice in, probably more than all you posit, that sustained Him? Why make it all about us?

oatmeal

God's purposes

Aimiel

What was in it for the Father that Jesus, the man could rejoice in, probably more than all you posit, that sustained Him? Why make it all about us?
Because He is loving. Love = charity. He loves giving. He has so much love that He HAD to share it. He sowed His Son and got back millions of sons and daughters.

Cross Reference

Because He is loving. Love = charity. He loves giving. He has so much love that He HAD to share it. He sowed His Son and got back millions of sons and daughters.

Do you know there is more written about the wrath of God toward man in the Bible than His love??

Aimiel

Do you know there is more written about the wrath of God toward man in the Bible than His love?
Naturally, since He doesn't want anyone to be punished.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

If you were The Loving Creator of the universe who wanted to spend eternity loving as many people as possible you'd warn them about hell, too.

Cross Reference

Naturally, since He doesn't want anyone to be punished.

The Lord is not slack concerning his promise, as some men count slackness; but is longsuffering to us-ward, not willing that any should perish, but that all should come to repentance.

If you were The Loving Creator of the universe who wanted to spend eternity loving as many people as possible you'd warn them about hell, too.

Wrath NOT warning, is what I said!

nikolai_42

Joy is not derivative - it is a primary experience often involving emotion (which ARE derivative). The Joy of the Lord IS My Strength. It undergirds, bears up and even directs. So the joy set before Jesus was ... joy. It was wrapped up in doing the Father's will.

Cross Reference

Joy is not derivative - it is a primary experience often involving emotion (which ARE derivative). The Joy of the Lord IS My Strength. It undergirds, bears up and even directs. So the joy set before Jesus was ... joy. It was wrapped up in doing the Father's will.

I would rather believe it was because Jesus knew the outcome of the Father's Will which implies the need to know God, as He desires to be known, by His new born creation that such knowledge might also sustain them when the time comes for them to be proven. Wouldn't you agree?

TFTn5280

Do you know there is more written about the wrath of God toward man in the Bible than His love??

Hey CR, this is off topic, so if you don't want to go in that direction, I understand. You say there is more about God's wrath towards humans in the bible than about his love. Tell me, do you consider love a defining attribute of who God is? That is, when the Bible says, "God is love," does love lend a definition of who God is in his inner-most being throughout eternity? I'll leave that question open, for now.

Second question: When we read, as we do, that the wrath of God is "revealed" against all ungodliness and unrighteousness of men..., is this a revelation that speaks to the inner-most being of God; i.e., does it speak to who God is substantively, prior to and apart from his creation?

I have some thoughts but I will hold off for now. As I say, if you don't want to go in this direction, that is fine. Good morning, BTW.

EDIT: Actually, CR, I think I want to make a thread of these questions. So if you're interested and want to hold off, I'll be back with them in another thread.

Last edited:

TFTn5280

by nikolai_42 said:

I would rather believe it was because Jesus knew the outcome of the Father's Will which implies the need to know God, as He desires to be known, by His new born creation that such knowledge might also sustain them when the time comes for them to be proven. Wouldn't you agree?

I see these as both being very insightful comments. They do not need to stand in apposition to each other. Both speak to the "joy" of knowing and doing the will of God the Father, which is to know God. It seems to me that Jesus looked to that joy sustenentively (my word :)) Good posts, brothers

Last edited: