Who was the most courageous woman listed in the Old Testament and why?

dialm

BANNED
Banned
This is not as easy as you might think, so the subject is narrowed down saving the New Testament for a later discussion.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
huh, i never thought of that - starting a thread like a trivia game, posing questions that i have opinions on (correct answers), and seeing what people say -

bybee

This is not as easy as you might think, so the subject is narrowed down saving the New Testament for a later discussion.

My obvious choice is Esther. She saved her people from Haman's evil machinations. She could have simply cared about herself once she became the Kings consort. But she went out on a limb and devised a scheme to show the King what kind of a man Haman really was.

dialm

BANNED
Banned
My obvious choice is Esther. She saved her people from Haman's evil machinations. She could have simply cared about herself once she became the Kings consort. But she went out on a limb and devised a scheme to show the King what kind of a man Haman really was.

Maybe j shouldn't talk to you. Last time it didn't work out so well, (maybe statistics aren't helpful). But never the less- It would be hard to argue against your choice. Any woman forced to live in a harem might find it a difficult proposition.

If you will remember, the last time we talked you brought up another harem girl. One of David's. For sure King Saul's daughter was much more courageous. (Now don't go complaining. I just think your first choice was better.) Here see what you think

King Saul's daughter was legally divorced. Then she was kidnapped. Then she was imprisoned and forcibly raped. And yet she still publicly spoke out against her estranged X husband.

bybee

Maybe j shouldn't talk to you. Last time it didn't work out so well, (maybe statistics aren't helpful). But never the less- It would be hard to argue against your choice. Any woman forced to live in a harem might find it a difficult proposition.

If you will remember, the last time we talked you brought up another harem girl. One of David's. For sure King Saul's daughter was much more courageous. (Now don't go complaining. I just think your first choice was better.) Here see what you think

King Saul's daughter was legally divorced. Then she was kidnapped. Then she was imprisoned and forcibly raped. And yet she still publicly spoke out against her estranged X husband.

Each of the heroic women in the Torah have admirable lives.
I don't think I referenced Michal as a "Harem" girl. She was David's first wife and the daughter of a King. It appears to have been a politically correct marriage for David?
Esther was in fact a "Harem" girl but the king came to love and value her very much.
I am also considering Judith as a stunningly heroic woman.
This is a great topic! I love history!

musterion

Kaitlyn Jenner.

Oh, you said Old Testament, sorry.

Well, she's STILL the bravest.

/leftist inbreds

ebenz47037

Proverbs 31:10
Silver Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
There are many to choose from:

Rahab: hiding the "spies" in her home

Deborah: holding a traditionally male position in Israel

Moses mother (her name escapes me): acting like she was nothing more to a nursemaid to her own son

Ruth: sticking with her mother-in-law after her husband died, giving up the life she had before she married

It's hard for me to pick one that I feel was the bravest woman in the OT.

oatmeal

Who does scripture declare as the most courageous woman?

does scripture declare any woman as the most courageous?

No one?

No?

Then why offer guesses and opinions?

Let God rule your life, not your opinions or the opinions of men or the traditions of men.

Let God's word be your instruction of right living. II Timothy 3:16

bybee

Who does scripture declare as the most courageous woman?

does scripture declare any woman as the most courageous?

No one?

No?

Then why offer guesses and opinions?

Let God rule your life, not your opinions or the opinions of men or the traditions of men.

Let God's word be your instruction of right living. II Timothy 3:16

This is a forum. It is a good place for the exchange of knowledge and ideas. Through courteous dialogue we may have our eyes, our minds and our hearts opened to that which is good for us?
My understanding of Scripture grows and grows and the thoughts others have cared enough to share with me have helped me.

bybee

There are many to choose from:

Rahab: hiding the "spies" in her home

Deborah: holding a traditionally male position in Israel

Moses mother (her name escapes me): acting like she was nothing more to a nursemaid to her own son

Ruth: sticking with her mother-in-law after her husband died, giving up the life she had before she married

It's hard for me to pick one that I feel was the bravest woman in the OT.

Many brave women! Each responded to the call of duty!

Tambora

Get your armor ready!
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Some good choices listed.

Add Jael.

Judges 4 KJV
(21) Then Jael Heber's wife took a nail of the tent, and took an hammer in her hand, and went softly unto him, and smote the nail into his temples, and fastened it into the ground: for he was fast asleep and weary. So he died.

Judges 5 KJV
(24) Blessed above women shall Jael the wife of Heber the Kenite be, blessed shall she be above women in the tent.​

dialm

BANNED
Banned
Each of the heroic women in the Torah have admirable lives.
I don't think I referenced Michal as a "Harem" girl. She was David's first wife and the daughter of a King. It appears to have been a politically correct marriage for David?
Esther was in fact a "Harem" girl but the king came to love and value her very much.
I am also considering Judith as a stunningly heroic woman.
This is a great topic! I love history!

Agreed.

Now let's look a little closer at your comments on Michal. She was a daughter of a great and noble King. She had inheritance rights. This made her part of the upper class. Michel was not a nobody. Here is what this great woman wanted-

An exclusive relationship with her husband.

That is more than just a want. That is the right of every wife. To have a pure husband.

Question: Did Michel have grounds for divorce?
Answer: Yes

Question: What constitutes legal grounds for divorce?
Answer: Adultery and/or desertion

David married Michel. Then he deserted her. Then he took up relationships with many other women while separated from his lawful wedded wife.

Michel very much so had the grounds for divorce.

Being part of the Nobility she also had the financial and the political means to attain a divorce.

Michel, unlike the captive slave girl living in a foreign land, did not need nor desire to be part of a harem.

bybee

Agreed.

Now let's look a little closer at your comments on Michal. She was a daughter of a great and noble King. She had inheritance rights. This made her part of the upper class. Michel was not a nobody. Here is what this great woman wanted-

An exclusive relationship with her husband.

That is more than just a want. That is the right of every wife. To have a pure husband.

Question: Did Michel have grounds for divorce?
Answer: Yes

Question: What constitutes legal grounds for divorce?
Answer: Adultery and/or desertion

David married Michel. Then he deserted her. Then he took up relationships with many other women while separated from his lawful wedded wife.

Michel very much so had the grounds for divorce.

Being part of the Nobility she also had the financial and the political means to attain a divorce.

Michel, unlike the captive slave girl living in a foreign land, did not need nor desire to be part of a harem.

Yes, but I wonder, she really loved David. The Bible says he was very comely. No doubt she didn't expect to be treated the way he treated her. The Bible doesn't hide the unsavory sides of its' heroes!

dialm

BANNED
Banned
Have you noticed the Old Testament penalty for Adultery?

It is capital punishment.

This is what motivated David when he took Michal away from her legal husband. Furthermore, how would it look to have a king/warrior who was also a deserter?

No doubt about it. King David was forced to take his first wife back at any cost.

As to Michal: She must be a Biblical Type. Anyone whose character has been so brutalized by history is just too important to be ignored.

Now I say that Michal is the second most courageous woman listed in the Old Testament because she stood up to someone as great as King David even in the face of ridicule.

Ridicule is a greater 'Hero' to overcome then all the other Heros combined.

dialm

BANNED
Banned
My choice of the most courageous woman listed in the Old Testament is Isreal.

Israel wanted an exclusive relationship with Jehovah. She never got that. This lack of fidelity on the part of Jehovah is what has cause the problem and not the other way around.

Even today Judaism desires an exclusive relationship but is denied that right due her. Instead she has been beaten, locked in prison for life and repeatedly raped.