Woman Wins Appeal to Wear Colander on Head in DMV Photo as Part of ‘Religion’ to ....

GuySmiley

They've no need to...anti-belief is the very point.

It's a form of argument called Reductio ad absurdum. (The crux of this thread's OP is based as such)

Google it...learn something.
:chuckle: Yeah, I got that answer once too. An atheist told me that my first premise was flawed . . . the premise that he needs to justify his own use of logic. If you asked a Christian to justify his belief in God and he told you that your premise that he needs to justify it is flawed, you wouldn't be very impressed.

You don't have to do anything, but you do if you want others to consider you rational.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Woman Wins Appeal to Wear Colander on Head in DMV Photo as Part of ‘Religion’ to Mock Christians

Could you even imagine something like this would ever happen 10 years ago?

What i would like to know is what particular christian belief about what to wear for a dmv photo is she objecting to?

I wonder how she figures that looking like an idiot actually comes off as mocking anyone other than herself?

if her argument was that her "religion" requires her to wear the collander, she should be required to wear it at all times while driving or face prosecution for making a false statement

Lon

You should be the last one complaining here.

:up: to the freedom of religious expression..yes?
Perhaps she is so...so whatever, that she believes it and missed the fact that it is merely an icon of mockery.

If that is the case, she has every right to be as strange as she is BUT probably shouldn't be driving.

OTOH, while religious freedom is accepted, and while free-speech is as well, it doesn't mean you can do whatever you like in your driver's photos. Even Muslim women have to uncover. It depends on the state, but some don't even allow hats, which this certainly is.

Nobody will remember her tomorrow and I found it not even passingly interesting. TOL members interest in it, is a bit more interesting to me, so...

Bingo! :devil:

That "look" is the very point of her demonstration, exemplifying the stupidities of religion.

That, however, is not religious freedom, it is commentary on another's religion and thus merely free-speech and NOT exercise of a sincere religion.

Some atheists need to learn that mockery of religion, isn't 'freedom of religion.' It is rather an exercise of free-speech and has nothing to do with 'their' religion or lack-there-of. I realize 'why' they don't get that, and they certainly have a right to ignorance, but I don't think I have to listen to it. If she is merely doing mockery, no dice. If she is sincerely duped as she says she is, fine. One is freedom of speech, the other is freedom of religion, but cannot impede picture identity by police and other authorities. She may have to get a plastic one for airports.

bybee

That "look" is the very point of her demonstration, exemplifying the stupidities of religion.

Exemplifying how some people choose to waste time insulting people who are doing nothing unkind to them.

Reactions: Lon

ok doser

perhaps she could exemplify the stupidities of islam next

maybe she could blow herself up

Dialogos

I know what it is supposed to exemplify.

I just question how your looking stupid is supposed to be a reflection on what I believe.

So go ahead. You could all take your driver's license photos with soup spoons sticking out of your ears for all I care.

For what it's worth, it does require quite a bit more explanation than most people are likely to tolerate.

The Highway Patrol Officer who pulls you over for doing 45 in a 30 MPH zone isn't likely to give a hoot what your stand on organized religion might be.

:duh:

It seems to me it requires far too much explanation.

Dialogos

It does make you wish there was a smiley that looked like a clown wearing a spaghetti strainer on his head though doesn't it...?

:think:

:mock: Spaghetti Hat Atheists :zakath:

Jose Fly

It's hardly surprising to see that the people being made fun of, are the ones who don't get it or appreciate it.

In fact, I'd say it should be expected.

Dialogos

It's hardly surprising to see that the people being made fun of, are the ones who don't get it or appreciate it.
There is a third option.

We don't care.

I know it might be a blow to the collective humanist ego but most Christians don't care as much about what you think or say regarding our faith as you want us to.

So she should probably run along and try to get someone else's attention.

:yawn:

Is the response of most God fearing Christians who have much better things to do than to watch an adult basically throw a legal temper tantrum about the right to wear something that means nothing to anyone, event to her.

But the first amendment protects moronism as much as it does any other religion.

So go get your spaghetti strainer and selfie away...

Angel4Truth

Hall of Fame
There is a third option.

We don't care.

I know it might be a blow to the collective humanist ego but most Christians don't care as much about what you think or say as you want us to.

:yawn:

Is the response of most God fearing Christians who have much better things to do than to watch an adult basically throw a legal temper tantrum about the right to wear something that means nothing to anyone, event to her.

But the first amendment protects moronism as much as it does any other religion.

So go get your spaghetti strainer and selfie away...

:rotfl:

Lon

It may even be against muslims at that point. Christians don't generally wear any special clothing, except Mormons, and those are under their other clothes.

BUT again, that is 'free-speech' not free expression of religion.

The two are separate.

I'd love to be the prosecuting attorney: Do you, in fact, pray to the monster? Let me hear some. Do you wear your colander everywhere you go? What happens when your god gets moldy? Do you promise to wear your colander every time you drive for the next 4 years, even if you change religion? Okay, then you can wear it.

Or "What we have here, is a failure of the defendant to grasp the intelligible difference between freedom of speech as it pertains to what you can wear at your DMV photo, and what an actual religion would dictate."

chair

Beats me, i cant even get an answer on what christian thing shes trying to mock, i know of no christian who wears anything special for a dmv pic, so shes just plain out weird.

I find your assumption that it must be Christianity that she is mocking disturbing.

I also find your lack of sense of humor about this disturbing. Why can't you just smile and shrug it off?

bybee

I find your assumption that it must be Christianity that she is mocking disturbing.

I also find your lack of sense of humor about this disturbing. Why can't you just smile and shrug it off?

What makes you think she isn't laughing uproariously over this inane stupidity?

ok doser

jose, totally oblivious to the fact that knight lets him continue to post here for the comedic value of which he is unaware, demonstrates:

:darwinsm:

good one Jo! :thumb: