Working for a consulting firm

Volts

I applied for a job at a consulting firm. This consulting firm makes contracts with different clients and the employees of the this consulting firm go to work for different clients. They work for different clients anywhere from a few weeks to several months. There is opportunity for travel because some clients can be far away from home. Has anyone here on this DB ever worked for a consulting firm? What was it like?

Ask Mr. Religion

☞☞☞☞Presbyterian (PCA) &#9
Gold Subscriber
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have done so on many occasions as well as used contractors from consulting firms. I have worked as a consultant (wireless communications engineering technology) for many years.

You are basically an IRS Form 1099 contractor for tax purposes unless the consulting firm actually hires you as an employee (W-2 tax status). Both have implications that you should understand beforehand. For example, Form 1099 personnel are not eligible for company benefits, healthcare, etc., hence your agreed upon fees as a 1099 contractor to the consulting company should take into account your need to file estimated quarterly tax returns, pay for your own health insurance, etc.

In short, when seeking positions at consulting companies, your first question should be "Is my status 1099 or W-2?"

As a contractor at another firm you must make sure you are not treated as an employee. Microsoft got into plenty of IRS trouble doing so and ended up having to pay certain employee benefits to contractor personnel. Review the contractor agreement to make sure you understand what is expected. The agreement will also include provisions preventing or laying down restrictions for the company you are working at from offering you a full-time job.

Contractors are also excluded from many functions of the company they are working with at the time, e.g., some meetings, company functions, etc. Try not to take this personal. ;)

Basically you are a seen by the company you are sent to as a "hired gun" with the expectation that you are able to hit the ground running in your specialty area without a lot of hand-holding.

Whatever you do, never get into water cooler discussions with the company's regular employees about your pay, billable rates of your consulting company, how messed up things are at this company, and so on. You represent the consulting company that sent you. Maintain high standards.

AMR

Volts

I have done so on many occasions as well as used contractors from consulting firms. I have worked as a consultant (wireless communications engineering technology) for many years.

You are basically an IRS Form 1099 contractor for tax purposes unless the consulting firm actually hires you as an employee (W-2 tax status). Both have implications that you should understand beforehand. For example, Form 1099 personnel are not eligible for company benefits, healthcare, etc., hence your agreed upon fees as a 1099 contractor to the consulting company should take into account your need to file estimated quarterly tax returns, pay for your own health insurance, etc.

In short, when seeking positions at consulting companies, your first question should be "Is my status 1099 or W-2?"

As a contractor at another firm you must make sure you are not treated as an employee. Microsoft got into plenty of IRS trouble doing so and ended up having to pay certain employee benefits to contractor personnel. Review the contractor agreement to make sure you understand what is expected. The agreement will also include provisions preventing or laying down restrictions for the company you are working at from offering you a full-time job.

Contractors are also excluded from many functions of the company they are working with at the time, e.g., some meetings, company functions, etc. Try not to take this personal. ;)

Basically you are a seen by the company you are sent to as a "hired gun" with the expectation that you are able to hit the ground running in your specialty area without a lot of hand-holding.

Whatever you do, never get into water cooler discussions with the company's regular employees about your pay, billable rates of your consulting company, how messed up things are at this company, and so on. You represent the consulting company that sent you. Maintain high standards.

AMR

Thank you. You brought up some good points. I found a consulting firm that gives their employees a W-2 status.

It is also true that contractors are excluded from many company functions.

Truster

Professionalism within consultancy is the unified force of experience, intellect and passion in their combined operation. The first two or three years you may lack experience, but as long as you have the intellect (product or service knowledge) and the passion you will still succeed. Experience, when it comes, will make the whole thing more enjoyable, because it gives a true confidence that people recognise and are prepared to rely on.....enjoy.

I applied for a job at a consulting firm. This consulting firm makes contracts with different clients and the employees of the this consulting firm go to work for different clients. They work for different clients anywhere from a few weeks to several months. There is opportunity for travel because some clients can be far away from home. Has anyone here on this DB ever worked for a consulting firm? What was it like?
I worked for the same consulting company twice. Both times it lead to full-time permanent employment at two different companies. One was engineering/construction and the other was aerospace/defence. Both were good companies to work for. Good luck with the new job.