You Cannot Live the Christian Life

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Yup.

btw, Hill's booklet on why the rapture of the Body has to be pretribulational is still the best treatment of it I've ever seen. There's very few works I've read that I would call irrefutable, but that's one of them.

Is three any way you can make a pdf copy of that booklet and get it to me?

Danoh

Great post, except I can assure you that Pastor Hill was not mixing law and grace. He was an Acts 9 Dispensationalist and was as Pauline in his preaching as anyone.
His point was simply that Jesus submited His will as a man to that of the Father and thus it was the Father's life lived through Him just as for us, if we submit our will to that of Christ, it is thereby Christ's life lived through us.

Clete

Consider the following...

Stam was also Acts 9. And yet he mixed the Grace in Romans with the Grace in Hebrews.

Another Mid-Acts Pastor I heard asserted that 1948 was the fulfillment of Prophecy.

Which is a contradiction of Mid-Acts...

In other words, just because someone holds to Acts 9, is no guarantee by itself that one no longer ends up every now and then going to parts of Scripture not written to, nor about the Body, on one thing or another.

As another example, Stam's stated view at the end of his book, Things That Differ, that the 12 were in the Body, for example, is a direct contradiction of those study principles he lays out earlier in that same book.

Paul, a once lost, hell-bound sinner saved by Grace during this Mystery Grace Age, and who, in Romans 7 later describes the Believer's certain failure should he attempt to put himself under the Law principle, as a means of serving God, is our example - not Christ.

Christ's perfect obedience only reveals our imperfection, in our being prone to being weak in the flesh.

Fact is, Christ had indeed been able to "fulfil ALL righteousness" Matt. 3:15; Heb. 4:15.

But now...

2 Corinthians 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

Acts 17: 11, 12.

Jacob

BANNED
Banned
You come here accusing me a heresy and then readily admit that you hadn't bothered to read the material. If you think I'm going to spare your feelings, you've got another thing coming.

You think you can throw around any accusation that pops into you vaccuous head and then fix it by simply typing the words "I'm sorry". Well, you don't! I have no reason whatsoever to think that the "I'm sorry." has any more sunstance to it than did the accusation of heresy that you began this conversation with.

Look, I don't know if you're lazy or stupid or both or just have next to no discernment at all or what but I no longer care. I'm doing my absolute level best not to make an enemy of you but you seem to be trying to push every button there is to push in order to make that impossible. I recommend you just stop and go away and leave me alone.

Clete

Fair enough. I am reading the book that you recommended to me. I thanked you for your post. As for if I have the gift of discernment, I may. I scanned for anything related to the thread title. But I am not good all the time at accurately understanding what is going on. God bless you Clete. I hope to let you know if I finish the book you recommended to me.

Shalom.

Jacob

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Consider the following...

Stam was also Acts 9. And yet he mixed the Grace in Romans with the Grace in Hebrews.

Another Mid-Acts Pastor I heard asserted that 1948 was the fulfillment of Prophecy.

Which is a contradiction of Mid-Acts...

In other words, just because someone holds to Acts 9, is no guarantee by itself that one no longer ends up every now and then going to parts of Scripture not written to, nor about the Body, on one thing or another.

As another example, Stam's stated view at the end of his book, Things That Differ, that the 12 were in the Body, for example, is a direct contradiction of those study principles he lays out earlier in that same book.

Paul, a once lost, hell-bound sinner saved by Grace during this Mystery Grace Age, and who, in Romans 7 later describes the Believer's certain failure should he attempt to put himself under the Law principle, as a means of serving God, is our example - not Christ.

Christ's perfect obedience only reveals our imperfection, in our being prone to being weak in the flesh.

Fact is, Christ had indeed been able to "fulfil ALL righteousness" Matt. 3:15; Heb. 4:15.

But now...

2 Corinthians 5:16 Wherefore henceforth know we no man after the flesh: yea, though we have known Christ after the flesh, yet now henceforth know we him no more. 5:17 Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.

I never made the assertion that because a teacher is a Mid-Acts Dispensationalist that he therefore could not make an error by mixing law with grace, I asserted that Pastor Hill had not done so in the sermon presented in the OP.

As for Christ's fulfilling all righteousness, there is no dispute there either. The point is that He fulfilled all righteousness by submitting His will to that of the Father.

John 5:19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.

Matthew 26:39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.”

Matthew 26:42 Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done.”

Danoh

I never made the assertion that because a teacher is a Mid-Acts Dispensationalist that he therefore could not make an error by mixing law with grace, I asserted that Pastor Hill had not done so in the sermon presented in the OP.

As for Christ's fulfilling all righteousness, there is no dispute there either. The point is that He fulfilled all righteousness by submitting His will to that of the Father.

John 5:19 Then Jesus answered and said to them, “Most assuredly, I say to you, the Son can do nothing of Himself, but what He sees the Father do; for whatever He does, the Son also does in like manner.

Matthew 26:39 He went a little farther and fell on His face, and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me; nevertheless, not as I will, but as You will.”

Matthew 26:42 Again, a second time, He went away and prayed, saying, “O My Father, if this cup cannot pass away from Me unless I drink it, Your will be done.”

That verse in John 5 is about His Deity.

Etc.

And plenty of passages in John depict Him asserting He is working WITH The Father, as His Co-equal WITH Him.

Those other passages you cited speak of His carrying out the Father's will WITH Him.

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

And...

John 5:21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

He Himself is carrying out what is actually Their will.

Read those passages surrounding the passage you cited from John 5 - He was referring to His shared Deity with the Father.

How that they were working together as One.

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
That verse in John 5 is about His Deity.

Etc.

And plenty of passages in John depict Him asserting He is working WITH The Father, as His Co-equal WITH Him.

Those other passages you cited speak of His carrying out the Father's will WITH Him.

John 2:19 Jesus answered and said unto them, Destroy this temple, and in three days I will raise it up.

And...

John 5:21 For as the Father raiseth up the dead, and quickeneth them; even so the Son quickeneth whom he will. 5:22 For the Father judgeth no man, but hath committed all judgment unto the Son:

He Himself is carrying out what is actually Their will.

Read those passages surrounding the passage you cited from John 5 - He was referring to His shared Deity with the Father.

How that they were working together as One.

I think, in fact I'm pretty sure, that Jesus meant what He said.

Further, your point here is not mutually exclusive to Pastor Hill's. Your point is valid in that there is one God and the Father and Son are One. But it is also true that the plurality that exists within the Godhead is real and the Father and Son are therefore, in some important sense that is not fully explained to us, not the same person.

That is very nearly universally accepted Trinitarian doctrine which happens to allows us both to be right in this case. Jesus, to use your words, worked together with the Father by submitting His will to the Father's. The alternative is to believe that Jesus was not really praying to anyone and that He was not making a real request when He ask, "O My Father, if it is possible, let this cup pass from Me..."

Clete

Jerry Shugart

I think, in fact I'm pretty sure, that Jesus meant what He said.

Then you must believe that the Jews who lived under the law were saved apart from works because this is what He told those people:

"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die" (Jn.11:25-26).​

"For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day"
(Jn.6:40).​

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life"
(Jn.5:24).​

Clete, are you "pretty sure" that the Lord Jesus meant what He said when He told the Jews who lived under the law that those of them who "believed" received those spiritual blessings?

And are you "pretty sure" that "whoever" believes has eternal life and will not perish?:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (Jn.3:16).​

Aimiel

One Scripture sticks with me day after day... Jesus said that He ALWAYS does the will of His Father. I long to one day be able to say that. It's a goal worth striving for. I thank God for the honesty and humility Bob Hill showed in his life and preaching and especially the quote in Clete's OP. I thank God for the good people of TOL and the many great Christians I've had the privilege of knowing here. :thumb:

Clete

Truth Smacker
Silver Subscriber
Then you must believe that the Jews who lived under the law were saved apart from works because this is what He told those people:

"Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die" (Jn.11:25-26).​

"For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day"
(Jn.6:40).​

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life"
(Jn.5:24).​

Clete, are you "pretty sure" that the Lord Jesus meant what He said when He told the Jews who lived under the law that those of them who "believed" received those spiritual blessings?

And are you "pretty sure" that "whoever" believes has eternal life and will not perish?:

"For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life" (Jn.3:16).​

You're a troll. One more attempt to change the subject back to your pet doctrinal hang up and I'll report it. I have you on ignore but I will not have you trolling around attempting to turn every one of my threads into a debate about your pet issue.

Go away. I do NOT care about what you think. I just don't. You spent every bit of any credibility you ever had years ago. Seriously - GO AWAY! I'm not asking and I'm not kidding.

Clete

Jerry Shugart

Go away. I do NOT care about what you think. I just don't. You spent every bit of any credibility you ever had years ago. No one can respond to a single post on nearly any subject without you twisting into a discussion about how Moses was saved by grace apart from works. It's utter stupidity. GO AWAY! I'm not asking and I'm not kidding.

Instead of actually discussing the Scriptures in an intelligent way you attack those who don't agree with your mistaken views. It is you who has no credibility because you cannot even understand that the Lord Jesus said that "believing" and only believing resulted in eternal life for the Jews who lived under the law:

"Very truly I tell you, whoever hears my word and believes him who sent me has eternal life and will not be judged but has crossed over from death to life" (Jn.5:24).​

Even though the Savior Himself says tells the Jews who lived under the law that those of them who "believed" had eternal life and will not be judged you still argue that "believing" was not enough for those people. And the Lord Jesus makes it plain that those who lived under the law received the following spiritual blessings by "believing" and nothing more:

"I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die; and whoever lives by believing in me will never die" (Jn.11:25-26).​

Even after being shown these words which were spoken to a Jewess who lived under the law you still argue that "believing" was not enough for those people because in order for them to receive the reward they had to do "works" in addition to "believing." Also you obviously cannot understand the simple words of the Savior spoken to the Jews who lived under the law when He spoke of His Father's will:

"For my Father’s will is that everyone who looks to the Son and believes in him shall have eternal life, and I will raise them up at the last day" (Jn.6:40).​

Then just a few verses later He told the Jews who lived under the law the following:

"Very truly I tell you, the one who believes has eternal life" (Jn.6:47).​

You call yourself a Christian yet you refuse to believe the Lord Jesus Christ's words on this subject and you obviously cannot understand spiritual things:

"The person without the Spirit does not accept the things that come from the Spirit of God but considers them foolishness, and cannot understand them because they are discerned only through the Spirit" (1 Cor.2:14).​

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.