Your Mount Rushmores (Sports, Music, Politics, etc.)

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Carroll was grouchy, but endearing. Lucy was just ... annoying.
Ricky was annoying, which was his job as the straight man. Lucy was brilliantly funny. :D Carroll was a great actor (loved him in the Eastwood WWII flick) but I always found his writer/director a little too heavy handed on Family.

Hey, how about Redd Foxx?

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Ricky was annoying, which was his job as the straight man. Lucy was brilliantly funny. :D Carroll was a great actor (loved him in the Eastwood WWII flick) but I always found his writer/director a little too heavy handed on Family.

Hey, how about Redd Foxx?

Redd Foxx ... amused me. Insofar as women, I preferred Jean Stapleton (dingbat), Mary Tyler-Moore, Betty White and Bea Arthur.

exminister

Classical Music Mount Rushmore
Haydn, Shostakovich, Chopin, Beethoven
Honorable: Prokofiev, Dvorak.

Modern Music Mount Rushmore
Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, Jack White, John Lennon
Honorable: Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Paul & George, Fish (Marillion)

exminister

No Carroll O'Connor?

I just happened on this yesterday. Interesting without the Mike and Gloria we all know. Archie and Edith characters were mature day zero in this pilot.

Carroll was great in Kelly's Heros as Town mention. Don Rickles and Donald Sutherland. Fun movie.

exminister

Songs - I have tons of favorites, but tonight it's these four

Zebra - Tell Me What You Want
Aphrodite's Child - The Four Horseman
Simon & Garfunkel - The Boxer
Don McLean - American Pie

Listen to Aphrodite's Child, I think it was recorded in 69, amazing sound

Good list. Tough to pick top four.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Music is too subjective. Who do you put with Led Zepplin? Mutt Lange's best which is AC/DC and Def Leppard? Michael Jackson? Can't do Jackson on principal.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Classical Music Mount Rushmore
Haydn, Shostakovich, Chopin, Beethoven
Honorable: Prokofiev, Dvorak.
Interesting.

Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, have to be there, to my mind, though I mostly don't care for Bach until we get into his works for violin. Just a personal preference. After these three it's so open who knows? I love Dvorak and I'd probably add him to the fourth spot, though I recognize there are greater composers on the whole. His work in America was so transcendently rooted in that experience that it still makes me shake my head to hear how thoroughly he "got" us.

Modern Music Mount Rushmore
Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, Jack White, John Lennon
Honorable: Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Paul & George, Fish (Marillion)

Rusmore of contemporary music, individually?

For me it's Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan...Lennon without Paul doesn't make the list and vice versa, but they have to be there, so they each get a half face. :)

Few people have had as long a run of great work as Simon. Fewer still have had the influence of Wonder. Dylan was just sublime and still is...L&M were game changers on a whole new level.

Nihilo

BANNED
Banned
Soda:

Washington: Red Bull original
TJ: Coca-Cola (corn syrup sweetened)
TR: Diet Moxie (diet soda)
Abe: Mountain Dew (sugar sweetened)

exminister

Interesting.

Mozart, Beethoven, Bach, have to be there, to my mind, though I mostly don't care for Bach until we get into his works for violin. Just a personal preference. After these three it's so open who knows? I love Dvorak and I'd probably add him to the fourth spot, though I recognize there are greater composers on the whole. His work in America was so transcendently rooted in that experience that it still makes me shake my head to hear how thoroughly he "got" us.
Mozart for me was spotty. Bach I could take or leave. Beethoven is wonderful. He and Chopin I was hooked on at a very early age.

I love modern Russia composers. So much passion and nuance. It is hard to believe they could express those emotions in music. They expressed the Russian people's suffering under Stalin without getting carted off. Such must tension.

Exhibit A - Could even tell how many times I have listened to this one symphony. I never get tired of it. Gergiev is the best conductor for Russia music.

Town Heretic said:
Rusmore of contemporary music, individually?
I originally started to put bands in the list and I have seen pics of Mount Rushmore and realized it would be way too crowded so went to the band member I liked the most.

Town Heretic said:
For me it's Paul Simon, Stevie Wonder, Bob Dylan...Lennon without Paul doesn't make the list and vice versa, but they have to be there, so they each get a half face. :)

Few people have had as long a run of great work as Simon. Fewer still have had the influence of Wonder. Dylan was just sublime and still is...L&M were game changers on a whole new level.

John Lennon's work after The Beatles while not as prolific had the most staying power. I could listen over and over. Paul's work in too many cases was "silly little love songs". I enjoyed them but tired of them faster. So John won out. Paul Simon was brilliant but I felt he was a copier of styles and I could not un-see that. Stevie didn't float my boat.

Bob Dylan's lyrics are incredible. Even he said in a 60 minute interview he didn't know how he wrote some songs like "It's Alright, Ma". He had so many great songs in that early period. Perhaps you could venture a suggestion, but no one in the rock era could write lyrics like that. He was out there and untouchable.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Mozart for me was spotty. Bach I could take or leave. Beethoven is wonderful. He and Chopin I was hooked on at a very early age.

I love modern Russia composers. So much passion and nuance. It is hard to believe they could express those emotions in music. They expressed the Russian people's suffering under Stalin without getting carted off. Such must tension.
I've always been inordinately fond of Russian writers and composers. :thumb:

John Lennon's work after The Beatles while not as prolific had the most staying power. I could listen over and over. Paul's work in too many cases was "silly little love songs". I enjoyed them but tired of them faster. So John won out. Paul Simon was brilliant but I felt he was a copier of styles and I could not un-see that. Stevie didn't float my boat.
I suppose it depends on the standard we're using. Simon started out within the folk world, but he grew to include all sorts of influences, writing great songs well beyond those early limits and influencing other musicians to do the same. I think every artist is derivative, so that doesn't bother me and he incorporated other influences instead of copying them. We disagree on L&M. I think John was the more serious lyricist, but Paul had the better melodic ear. They were never as great apart. I think it was the perfect partnership. If you don't love Stevie I'm just genuinely sorry to hear it. He had social conscience combined with a remarkable ear for melody, harmonies and integration of styles. He's probably the most copied and echoing in modern music among our choices.

Bob Dylan's lyrics are incredible. Even he said in a 60 minute interview he didn't know how he wrote some songs like "It's Alright, Ma". He had so many great songs in that early period. Perhaps you could venture a suggestion, but no one in the rock era could write lyrics like that. He was out there and untouchable.
Not going to get an argument from me on that one. I think he's equaled in particular compositions by a number of artists, but not in sum by any. Simon at his best could do it, for one. The Boxer is magnificent.

exminister

If you don't love Stevie I'm just genuinely sorry to hear it. He had social conscience combined with a remarkable ear for melody, harmonies and integration of styles. He's probably the most copied and echoing in modern music among our choices.

I like to be challenged. His songs seems like Paul's to me anyway. Silly love songs - Isn't she lovely, I just called to say I love you, you are the sunshine of my life. What am I missing?

I do like the funkiness of Superstition.

Where did he voice social conscience?

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I like to be challenged. His songs seems like Paul's to me anyway. Silly love songs - Isn't she lovely, I just called to say I love you, you are the sunshine of my life. What am I missing?
First, isn't she lovely is about the miracle and response to the birth of a child. Anyway, a lot of the cannon, from Superstition to Higher Ground from Living for the City to I Wish, he wrote across human experience. His love songs were pretty good too and I don't have your aversion to them.

I do like the funkiness of Superstition.
A close cousin of that one, in terms of message and feel is You Haven't Done Nothing, which is a rejection of political rhetoric without action, as Superstition is a rejection of blind belief that enslaves. Village Ghetto Land is a head shaking look at the poverty and its impact in the inner city. Black Man rings the bell of minority contributions and a cautionary note. Higher Ground is a philosophical declaration in the face of what's swirling around him. Other songs with a social conscience include Jesus Children of America, Misstra Know it All, Have a Talk With God, Cash In Your Face, Race Babbling, It's Wrong (Apartheid) to name a few.

john w

Hall of Fame
Khoury League Baseball:I stand alone, as a pitcher, on the mount, by myself, as I once struck out 17 batters, in 5 innings, which is the average # of chicks, by which brother, and honorable Mayor STP, strikes out, on a typical weekend night.

musterion

Khoury League Baseball:I stand alone, as a pitcher, on the mount, by myself, as I once struck out 17 batters, in 5 innings, which is the average # of chicks, by which brother, and honorable Mayor STP, strikes out, on a typical weekend night.

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

musterion

Four books I'd want with me if I was ever stuck somewhere for life.

My KJV with margin note space + a mechanical pencil with plenty of lead
My Reference Passage Bible
Hendrickson Topical Bible
My bound copy of None But The Hungry Heart by Miles Stanford

Of course I'd do fine with just the first.

Last edited:

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I have to admit I never thought of books as a Rushmore, but why not?

Moving back to sports again, because it's a favorite of mine.

Mt Rushmore of NFL QBs

To me the answer depends on the context. Over all? At their peak? Given the same quality of team/coaching? I'm always noting that I think Brady is an all time great, but that his back ups looked like potential NFL stars whenever he went down and ordinary when they cashed that in elsewhere. For that reason I'll take Peyton in a close one between the two, trading Tom's hardware for Peyton's ability to make good players look better than they were. I'm going to split the Mt. Rushmores between 1980 and prior. Montana's ascension is the mark for the second grouping.

Montana: 40+k yds, 63% comp., 92 rating. The GOAT. Perfect in SBs, never threw a pick in one. Could have as easily won one or two in the two years he was exiled to KC. Beat eventual SB winner and usurper Steve Young in a head to head contest utilizing that lesser Chiefs team.

Manning: 70k yds, 65% comp., 96.5 rating. And that's with the last couple of year ungluing factored in. The best regular season qb is the knock, but until his rapid decline in the last year or so he was actually better, statistically, than Brady in both the regular and post season. Rallied to beat his rival with a broken instrument for a last hurrah to take that defense dominated Broncos to the SB where they rewarded him with a ring. Won ten and eleven games before the neck injury with a team that won two without him. Put up the same numbers in multiple systems.

Brady: 61+k yds, 64% comp., 97.2 rating. A winner's winner. Best system qb of all time. Athletic, driven. Great at rallying the troops late.

Brees: 66k yds, 67% comp., 94 rating. Has been ridiculously good on mostly not so good teams and took one that didn't belong there to a SB and a win. Unless Rodgers or Ben mount a challenge late, which is possible, I think Brees is the most underrated qb in modern history and that will be course corrected when the Brady/Manning glare recedes a bit.

Hon. Men.:
Marino, best pure passer I've ever seen. Unbelievable release. Too good to give so-so teams draft picks and that was that. Won't crack the list now.
Elway, largely on the talent you can't deny and what he managed to do when the tank was empty.
Favre, the gunslinger who showed at 40 that there was untapped greatness that might have seen him solidly on Rushmore if he'd played within the game more early. You can argue it, but I don't see him knocking anyone out of the list.
Rodgers, who I suspect is Brady plus but on the wrong team. Still time to pad his resume and challenge for the list with Elway.
Roethlisberger, who just doesn't get the love he deserves for what he's done, and a lot of that goes to his off field antics and personality and a name no one can spell outside of Pittsburgh. While he's flirting with retirement now like Favre late, he is also in a position to flirt with the list if his team gets hot for a couple, which is possible.
Warner, too thin and inconsistent a resume, but if he'd been able to start early? Who knows. A great big game player who was a couple of defensive plays away from being the first qb to take two teams to SBs and win.

Rushmore of pre 1980 QBs

Unitas, terrific winner and the best coach on the field until Peyton.

Starr, a lot like Brady. Got it done. Ran the system to perfection.

Graham, revolutionized play at the position and had legs to spare.

Bradshaw, the forerunner of Favre. Physical, confident, and made big plays for both teams on a regular basis.

Hon. Men. :
Staubach, who led the league in passing four times, won two SBs and had a few years of national service taken from his potential. If he'd been able to play then who knows?
Tarkenton, the most effective running qb the game has seen, except for Young.
Baugh.

musterion

I have to admit I never thought of books as a Rushmore, but why not?

I don't follow sports. Other people did music but I don't listen to anything newer than maybe the past 25 years. Considered cartoons but then I'd have to list Clutch Cargo four times. Almost listed four sandwiches but that would make me sound fat.