Your Mount Rushmores (Sports, Music, Politics, etc.)

SaulToPaul 2

Khoury League Baseball:I stand alone, as a pitcher, on the mount, by myself, as I once struck out 17 batters, in 5 innings, which is the average # of chicks, by which brother, and honorable Mayor STP, strikes out, on a typical weekend night.

:chuckle:

Yes, saint john, my batting average is much closer to .001

SaulToPaul 2

Khoury League Baseball:I stand alone, as a pitcher, on the mount, by myself, as I once struck out 17 batters, in 5 innings, which is the average # of chicks, by which brother, and honorable Mayor STP, strikes out, on a typical weekend night.

When the coach comes up to lecture a picture when he's in a jam, is it considered a sermon on the mound?

john w

Hall of Fame
When the coach comes up to lecture a picture when he's in a jam, is it considered a sermon on the mound?

Oh, you're now TOL's resident Rodney Dangerfield now, eh Gertrude?Why don't you email that Interloper goon, and tell him that you want to invite him to "comment" on the real (es)state of "Christendom," that is fracturizing the mission of "the church," and the 3 rules of real estate-land, land, land! I'd bet you'd get a real chuckle out of that, wouldn't you, squirt? Oh, good afternoon, moderator Sherman!! I was just commenting to brother Wallace STP, and our fellow chap Interplanner, how enjoyable it is to read a real writer/grammar scholar's splendid, refreshing comments on TOL!

SaulToPaul 2

Oh, you're now TOL's resident Rodney Dangerfield now, eh Gertrude?Why don't you email that Interloper goon, and tell him that you want to invite him to "comment" on the real (es)state of "Christendom," that is fracturizing the mission of "the church," and the 3 rules of real estate-land, land, land! I'd bet you'd get a real chuckle out of that, wouldn't you, squirt? Oh, good afternoon, moderator Sherman!! I was just commenting to brother Wallace STP, and our fellow chap Interplanner, how enjoyable it is to read a real writer/grammar scholar's splendid, refreshing comments on TOL!

"ROFTL" and "IMO" that is hilarious, saint john

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
Night Fever, I Will Survive, Le Freak, Boogie Wonderland.

SaulToPaul 2

I have always been partial to Don Williams, the Gentle Giant, in the country music category.
I like how he mentions Burt Reynolds.

Nick M

Black Rifles Matter
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I have always been partial to Don Williams, the Gentle Giant, in the country music category.
I like how he mentions Burt Reynolds.

Jerry Reed? I think I can do country, like the Blues Bros did it. It has to be my way. In four posts since the forum software doesn't work right.

Jerry Shugart

I have to break this between singers and singer songwriters. On the latter:

Hank Williams
Merle Haggard
Willie Nelson
Lyle Lovett

I listed the country artists on the basis of their influence on Country Music and not because of their singing.

One country singer stands far and away above all the others and that is the Old Possum, George Jones.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
I listed the country artists on the basis of their influence on Country Music and not because of their singing.
:think: I'll stand by Merle and Willie on that count, though Lyle has had a pretty substantial impact on a lot of singer songwriters in that genre.

If it's influence then Guy Clark hast to be included. Chris Stapelton has been steadily making a huge mark. It's great the way you can slice up the Rushmores in any particular.

And yeah, Jones is a great one.

Arthur Brain

Classical Music Mount Rushmore
Haydn, Shostakovich, Chopin, Beethoven
Honorable: Prokofiev, Dvorak.

Modern Music Mount Rushmore
Bob Dylan, Peter Gabriel, Jack White, John Lennon
Honorable: Robert Plant, Jimmy Page, Paul & George, Fish (Marillion)

My dad's favourite composer is Dvorak, although he's also a huge Shostakovich proponent, especially his symphonies. I still remember him playing the seventh (Leningrad) on the old gramophone we had as a child and the march from the first movement, with it's gradually increasing intensity and dissonant harmonies to the melody was something else...(I had no clue about the political aspects of the work back then) and it was one of a few works that sparked an interest in music that was predominantly 'modern' in the classical field. Holst's 'Planets Suite' was another (fantastic work) although it was generally Russian composers who caught my ear when younger - Prokofiev's 'Romeo and Juliet' was beguiling, chock full of melodies but with a rich dissonance too, Mussorgy's 'Pictures At An Exhibition...Stravinsky's 'Rite Of Spring' simply blew me away as a thirteen year old...still does now when performed with the right intensity.

Still, my 'Mount Rushmore' for classical music would be:

Messiaen
Ligeti
Schnittke
Stravinsky

Hon mentions: Prokofiev, Gorecki, Part.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
My Mt. Rushmore of film directors. I'm not arguing relative greatness. I'm speaking to the four who impacted my life in film the most.

Kubrick: left the theater after 2001 feeling like the back of my head was open. I realized that movies could be art with that film.

Capra: made enduring, optimistic, wonderfully odd movies, including two of my favorites, It's a Wonderful Life, and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington.

Spielberg: mapped my childhood and left me with marvelous stories filled with imagination and characters to cherish.

John Ford
: no one told a better story, especially about the American west.

Hon. Men.: Kurosawa, Bergman, Hithcock, Lean, Hawks.