Ask Knight (Archived)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeyArnold

BANNED
Banned
Why are third-party discussion forum website links banned? Why aren't all other possible website links (to non-discussion forums) banned also? In my perspective, information is information, to me, regardless to where I am reading it from. If I am reading facts from a website, those facts may have came from another forum. You would allow it since it's coming from a regular site. What came from the forum may have originated from a regular site, too. You may want to ban other forums on the fear of losing members. However, you fully encourage others to leave if they wish to do so. Therefore, I am very confused about the rules. If you feel the need to ignore this question, you will only make matters worse.

genuineoriginal

How many posts do I have to make before I can use this link:

"Find all posts by eameece"

It would help to find my own posts so I can remember what I posted to and answer replies on those threads.

The "Can Search Forums" ability comes with "Registered PLUS" or higher. "Registered PLUS" is automatic if you have at least 50 posts on TOL and have been a TOL member for at least 14 days.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Lets try again :)

Lets try again :)

~*~*~

Knight,

Did you read my post # 5157 ? I suggested modifying rule #8 as to add no confusion for newbies, since we have been allowed to post links in our discussions relative to our dialogue. It could be rewritten as -

Old -

8. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to redirect members to another forum, website, or blog. (Profile and signature links may be allowed with administrator approval.) Using our PM system to redirect members to other forums or websites is also a bannable offense.

New (modified) -

8. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to redirect members to another forum, website, or blog that is not related to the subject-material of the discussion topic or is inappropriate (Profile and signature links may be allowed with administrator approval.) Using our PM system to redirect members to inappropriate websites is also a bannable offense.

(this would be pending if you still do not want anyone to link to another discussion forum per se, but only allow links to info./articles on other sites (websites, blogs, etc.) to add to the ensuing dialogue. If so, you can just say, "no links to other discussion forums", unless you are ok with allowing such if related to the discussion). - See JoeyArnold's comment as well.

Thank you,

pj

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
~*~*~

Knight,

Did you read my post # 5157 ? I suggested modifying rule #8 as to add no confusion for newbies, since we have been allowed to post links in our discussions relative to our dialogue. It could be rewritten as -

Old -

8. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to redirect members to another forum, website, or blog. (Profile and signature links may be allowed with administrator approval.) Using our PM system to redirect members to other forums or websites is also a bannable offense.

New (modified) -

8. Thou SHALL NOT attempt to redirect members to another forum, website, or blog that is not related to the subject-material of the discussion topic or is inappropriate (Profile and signature links may be allowed with administrator approval.) Using our PM system to redirect members to inappropriate websites is also a bannable offense.

(this would be pending if you still do not want anyone to link to another discussion forum per se, but only allow links to info./articles on other sites (websites, blogs, etc.) to add to the ensuing dialogue. If so, you can just say, "no links to other discussion forums", unless you are ok with allowing such if related to the discussion). - See JoeyArnold's comment as well.pj

Isn't that already practically in play? I mean, doesn't everyone distinguish between trying to draw people away and simply linking to a thing that you're noting as authority and/or paraphrasing, working in to your argument? I don't think I've ever seen anyone hit for doing that. :idunno:

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
Isn't that already practically in play? I mean, doesn't everyone distinguish between trying to draw people away and simply linking to a thing that you're noting as authority and/or paraphrasing, working in to your argument? I don't think I've ever seen anyone hit for doing that. :idunno:

Yes, it apparently is already in play, as far as we know. It was just that I was given an infraction once but it was reversed later,...for linking to website on 'Christian Universalism' in one of the Battle Royales, so I know firsthand how 'discrimination' can work. Also, my suggestion is only for clarification about the rule in question to clear up any confusion as I recently warned another poster about making links to other discussion forums. If we are not allowed to make links to other forums, but can link other websites/blogs, etc....that ought to be specified. The rule ought to be logically coherent and modified if such a modification would be more helpful. I just wanted to hear Knight's take on this.

pj

Last edited:

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Yes, it apparently is already in play, as far as we know. It was just that I was given an infraction once but it was reversed later,...for linking to website on 'Christian Universalism' in one of the Battle Royales, so I know firsthand how 'discrimination' can work. Also, my suggestion is only for clarification about the rule in question to clear up any confusion as I recently warned another poster about making links to other discussion forums. If we are not allowed to make links to other forums, but can link other websites/blogs, etc....that ought to be specified. The rule ought to be logically coherent and modified if such a modification would be more helpful. I just wanted to hear Knight's take on this.

pj
My take is like this....

The entire link placing thing is a vast array of good to bad. Almost any link can be a no-no for a newbie while almost any link can be OK for an established member or especially a subscriber (since they have a vested interest in TOL). Furthermore every single link that is dropped can be done in an improper way by a newbie or by an established member, it's all about intention.

It's extremely subjective and I am the subject that determines the value or lack thereof. Therefore there almost is no way to create a hard and fast rule about link dropping. Each instance depends on circumstance.

Basically it goes something like this....

If a person is dropping a link merely to use the resource and power of TOL to help drive traffic to another website that is frowned upon. However if... a TOL member is dropping a link to help progress the discussion here on TOL that is a welcomed strategy.

That's the best I can do as far as explaining it.

freelight

Eclectic Theosophist
My take is like this....

The entire link placing thing is a vast array of good to bad. Almost any link can be a no-no for a newbie while almost any link can be OK for an established member or especially a subscriber (since they have a vested interest in TOL). Furthermore every single link that is dropped can be done in an improper way by a newbie or by an established member, it's all about intention.

It's extremely subjective and I am the subject that determines the value or lack thereof. Therefore there almost is no way to create a hard and fast rule about link dropping. Each instance depends on circumstance.

Basically it goes something like this....

If a person is dropping a link merely to use the resource and power of TOL to help drive traffic to another website that is frowned upon. However if... a TOL member is dropping a link to help progress the discussion here on TOL that is a welcomed strategy.

That's the best I can do as far as explaining it.

Thank you.

pj

eameece

The "Can Search Forums" ability comes with "Registered PLUS" or higher. "Registered PLUS" is automatic if you have at least 50 posts on TOL and have been a TOL member for at least 14 days.

Well, it didn't work with 50 posts; let's see if it works with 51.:firechyld

Nope; didn't work.

genuineoriginal

Looks like it worked to me. :idunno:

I noticed I had problems with the Find All Posts link from the user name as Registered Plus, but was always able to View Public Profile, then the Statistics tab, and use the link there to find all posts from the user. I don't have the problem now, but I don't know if it is because of having a subscription.

eameece

There seems to be no way for me to delete one of my own posts. I thought I was editing it, but it was posted 3 times. It would be nice if I could delete the two repeat posts. The FAQ says it can be done unless the administrator disables it. Is that what happened?

genuineoriginal

There seems to be no way for me to delete one of my own posts. I thought I was editing it, but it was posted 3 times. It would be nice if I could delete the two repeat posts. The FAQ says it can be done unless the administrator disables it. Is that what happened?

You can do that as a subscriber, but not as a non-subscriber.
You should be able to edit the duplicate posts and replace the content with "duplicate post" or something like that.

eameece

You can do that as a subscriber, but not as a non-subscriber.
You should be able to edit the duplicate posts and replace the content with "duplicate post" or something like that.

Yes I could do that, but that's not deleting a post, like I can do at the other forum I am a member of.

Town Heretic

Out of Order
Hall of Fame
Can anyone say: "High Maintenance"?
Don't you just hate it when you're in a newbie relationship and they won't stop talking about their old forum? :mmph:

"Oooooh, my old forum would ask me before it did that."

"My old forum had better features."

Yeah, but who's your old forum seeing now? :plain: :eek:

Samstarrett

Two questions:

1). Can I put a link to my blog in my sig?

2). I drafted a Constitution for a hypothetical state and I want people's opinions. Is it allowed to start a thread about that or is it banned under 'posting previous writings'?

Status
Not open for further replies.