Banned For "Intentional Blasphemy ?

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
Did you perchance miss 'only' in that sentence? Justices are only 12 men and should not wield such power over the majority of a nation. It becomes dictatorship and autocratic at that point.

pssst - nine men

you're thinking of a jury

Reactions: Lon

Jonahdog

BANNED
Banned
Did you perchance miss 'only' in that sentence? Justices are only 12 men and should not wield such power over the majority of a nation. It becomes dictatorship and autocratic at that point.

Did you perchance miss the point? Take Brown v Bd of Ed for example. 9 men wielded power over the white majority. Dictatorship?

And Hobby Lobby served a very small minority.

You want the court to decide on what the majority wants? Always? Or just on those issues where you might agree with the majority?

Lon

Did you perchance miss the point? Take Brown v Bd of Ed for example. 9 men wielded power over the white majority. Dictatorship?

And Hobby Lobby served a very small minority.

You want the court to decide on what the majority wants? Always? Or just on those issues where you might agree with the majority?
Again... :sigh: 'only.' I don't want them to 'only' serve minority interest.

gcthomas

only by an amendment

is that what you were talking about?

constitutional amendments are very different from the "written laws" you were talking about before

Very different? They need a super majority in Congress, and a similar majority of ratifying states. But they are written laws nonetheless, and if they were clearly written for modern times there would be no room for interpretation. Pass better laws. Simple.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
You hit no nerve. You implied that you are pro-life. I doubt that you mean all life even though you seemed to include all life.

Where do you draw the line? Is the life of a chicken important? The life of an enemy combatant? What about a serial killer? Perhaps you just want to protect a developing human body which has not yet received a soul? But is that life precious to you after it does receive a soul and later kills some other person?
The idea of a perishable body and an incorruptible soul was a Greek idea, not a Jewish one. After the faith joined up with the Roman Empire it began to change in fundamental ways.

aikido7

BANNED
Banned
the fertilized egg isn't alive? :freak:
Sure. So is a single egg and a single sperm cell.

I will stand with the women here until they are actually supported and taken care of by Christians who claim to be “pro-life.”

And until they rage against violence, war, genocide, capital punishment and murder I guess I will continue to stand.

A woman often turns to abortion because she feels as if she has no choice.

A hysterical fixation on the unborn is never balanced out with a concern--a real, meaningful concern--with the lives of our children.
I am frustrated by politicians who are supposedly pro-life yet try to take benefits away from the poor women who are struggling.

Lon

I will stand with the women here until they are actually supported and taken care of by Christians who claim to be “pro-life.”
A hysterical fixation on the unborn is never balanced out with a concern--a real, meaningful concern--with the lives of our children.

You really are clueless. We give a lot of money to halfway homes, Christian adoption, etc. This is a 'lie' by liberals and you are audacious or blind to repeat it. It is criminally wrong.

And until they rage against violence, war, genocide, capital punishment and murder I guess I will continue to stand.
We do, and especially against the unborn and other children. A pure religion is this. James 1:27
A woman often turns to abortion because she feels as if she has no choice.
With a group standing outside offering them alternatives and help???
I am frustrated by politicians who are supposedly pro-life yet try to take benefits away from the poor women who are struggling.
Political frustration is a whole other issue.

relaff

Actually. Both the sperm cell and the egg cell are biologically not alive, because they cannot proliferate by themselves (They have metabolism, especially the sperm cell, which is using it to propel itself). Only the fertilized egg cell can do that. Therefore scientifically life begins at conception.

It's actually funny to see, that the European countries have no problem accepting this definition, even though they in general do allow abortions. Yet in order to do so some of them had to go through some legal struggles to legalize abortion even though it actually kills a person, while others simply ignored that contradiction.

Lon

Surely a condition of Christians (and Mussies) wielding their religious arsenal.
As is your atheist rejection of it. :noway:

Even with current attacks, atheists have still out-killed all religions last century and even still occurring in this one.

Shoot, atheists, Buddhists, and other religions exponentially kill people this new century over and above Christians. You are uncritically trying to tie TOL harshness to actions, and there is no precedence or paper-trail for it. Just the opposite.

I'd suggest you think before you speak, and empathize before proffering your myopia, but you won't :plain:

chrysostom

Hall of Fame
Are you saying that if a constitutional provision said "no abortions ever under any circumstances whatsoever", that it would be interpreted to mean something different by a majority of the judges on SCOTUS?

I'd be very surprised if even the political appointees you have now would be able to do that.

right now we have four judges who say abortion without any restrictions
including
killing the accidentally born baby

including having the government pay for it

alwight

Actually. Both the sperm cell and the egg cell are biologically not alive, because they cannot proliferate by themselves (They have metabolism, especially the sperm cell, which is using it to propel itself). Only the fertilized egg cell can do that. Therefore scientifically life begins at conception.

It's actually funny to see, that the European countries have no problem accepting this definition, even though they in general do allow abortions. Yet in order to do so some of them had to go through some legal struggles to legalize abortion even though it actually kills a person, while others simply ignored that contradiction.
Kills a person, really?
Fact is two thirds of all zygotes self-abort or fail quite naturally. If a caring involved God exists then there is surely no contradiction at all at that early stage because whatever a "person" actually is, it clearly can't be happening until rather later on.

Lon

Kills a person, really?
Fact is two thirds of all zygotes self-abort or fail quite naturally. If a caring involved God exists then there is surely no contradiction at all at that early stage because whatever a "person" actually is, it clearly can't be happening until rather later on.
Er, we are ALL terminal but that does not give you the right to terminate me early. We are in a world that is affected by sin's consequence. Though you may not accede the point, at least understand we are consistent in our objections. One does not and logically cannot excuse you the other, nor let go accusation against God for what sin has wrought in the world.

alwight

Er, we are ALL terminal but that does not give you the right to terminate me early. We are in a world that is affected by sin's consequence. Though you may not accede the point, at least understand we are consistent in our objections. One does not and logically cannot excuse you the other, nor let go accusation against God for what sin has wrought in the world.
Do you really accept that your God presides over the demise of most "persons" conceived Lon?
Any abortions carried out by human choice or a perceived necessity are as nothing by comparison.

Lon

Do you really accept that your God presides over the demise of most "persons" conceived Lon?
Any abortions carried out by human choice or a perceived necessity are as nothing by comparison.
:doh: You don't listen very well. Either that, or you are so opinionated there is no point anyway. If you just didn't read, do so and get back to me, please. If it is the latter, just skip it :sigh:

alwight

:doh: You don't listen very well. Either that, or you are so opinionated there is no point anyway. If you just didn't read, do so and get back to me, please. If it is the latter, just skip it :sigh:
:doh:I can at least understand that you can't or won't answer my question.:sigh:

Lon

:doh:I can at least understand that you can't or won't answer my question.:sigh:
I did. That was the point. You are blaming God for what we have wrought ourselves. You may not realize that the BHT and MSG and sodium in your and a woman's diet has ill effects. You may not understand that blaming God for 'your' consequences is bad-form. You may not get that just because you 'accidentally' kill a zygote doesn't mean it is okay to 'purposefully' do it. You may get none of this, but the answer has been clearly given and your rationalization is completely wrong. I can at least assert it, even if you cannot be rationalized with. So, sadly, you didn't reread or you are being stubborn, and neither moves us forward but don't blame me wrongly for it, like you wrongly blame God. "Your" worldview is wrong, not His or mine. -Lon