Character flaws

Thunder's Muse

The more I think about it, the more I come to believe that being a compassionate peacemaker is actually a character flaw. It makes a person weak.

What do you think?

resurrected

BANNED
Banned
nope

but it requires a willingness to endure pain

like this guy:

jesus-on-the-cross_closeup.jpg

Rusha

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
The more I think about it, the more I come to believe that being a compassionate peacemaker is actually a character flaw. It makes a person weak.

What do you think?

I am thinking something along the lines of "Blessed are the peacemakers". :)

Compassion and sensitivity are positive qualities and do not cease being so because some people will take advantage or see it them as weaknesses.

It is much easier to allow the hate and mistreatment of others to change you and make you harder.

I admire the fact you are the way you are and caring as much as do is not a character flaw. Value those who appreciate you as you are. You are, by far, one of the most forgiving individuals I have ever known. Most of us could learn from your example.

Sinann

I see your point. I have found that the more peaceable you are the more people tend to try and 'pull one over you'. However saying that all you need to do is stand up for yourself diplomatically and you'll find they realize that you are stronger. It's as you said weak against strong. People who believe in thier ego will always try to exert thier dominance.
Just because we're peaceful loving people doesn't mean we're not strong enough to stand up for our human rights.

Posted from the TOL App!

Sinann

Working in customer service I find people will target you. I have a gift for telling those people how rude they are and disrespectful without name calling. They end up being my best customers.

Posted from the TOL App!

Sinann

As resurrection said willingness to endure pain not unlike our savior.

Imo there are no character flaws if you control them. Accept and love who and what you are because we are blessed. It will always lead to a happier existence. :)

Posted from the TOL App!

1PeaceMaker

The more I think about it, the more I come to believe that being a compassionate peacemaker is actually a character flaw.

Well, compassion is essential for salvation. If that's the case, then all saved people must have flawed characters.

It makes a person weak.

I think that it takes strength to forgive and make peace. I think some people judge me weak for making peace in certain situations. It looks like I'm letting someone walk over me but I'm heaping coals of fire on their heads. I'm letting them make a sovereign choice and allowing myself to bear the up-front cost as a gift, in faith that the delayed gratification of eventually finding peace will be worth it.

It has always paid off for me.

For another thing, I find that war costs more than peace. I end up stronger than I would have been for not wasting my energy on war in the end, whether I'm the strongest person or not.

What do you think?

I think that as a weak person, I can say I'm strong in the strength of the Lord and He will compensate me richly for anything I lose or suffer in this life as a result of trying to live in peace with all men.

I also think it's remarkable when someone like me, someone annoying and difficult like me - manages to make peace with people that would normally find me intolerable or at best a nuisance. That's really cool. Of course, I'd rather not make anyone uncomfortable, but barring that I will settle for reconciliation. :)

1PeaceMaker

I am thinking something along the lines of "Blessed are the peacemakers". :)

Compassion and sensitivity are positive qualities and do not cease being so because some people will take advantage or see it them as weaknesses.

It is much easier to allow the hate and mistreatment of others to change you and make you harder.

I admire the fact you are the way you are and caring as much as do is not a character flaw.
You know, for an agnostic poster this is pretty enlightened sounding stuff. :)

Value those who appreciate you as you are.

Meh, value everybody, I say. We are all made of the same great stuff. But, to be more agreeable sounding, I do think we should value that some do and always will appreciate you as you are. You are God's offspring. Nothing beats that.

Quincy

It's hard, but that's why continuing on the path makes you stronger as opposed to giving up. Don't lose the faith my friend!

PureX

What do you think?
The key is in understanding the difference between real strength and a show of strength, between real compassion and codependence or enabling.

Martin Luther King and the folks in the Equal Rights Movement in the 1960s used non-violent protest in the face of extreme violence and hatred, and WON. They won because it was clear to most everyone who witnessed the clash on TV and in real life understood that the non-violent protesters were far, FAR stronger in every way than the hate-filled thugs that were beating on them.

Don't be deceived. There is great strength and power in being a compassionate peace-maker. But that power lies in the clarity and righteousness of purpose. It takes faith and wisdom that's strong as steel.

Thunder's Muse

The key is in understanding the difference between real strength and a show of strength, between real compassion and codependence or enabling.

Martin Luther King and the folks in the Equal Rights Movement in the 1960s used non-violent protest in the face of extreme violence and hatred, and WON. They won because it was clear to most everyone who witnessed the clash on TV and in real life understood that the non-violent protesters were far, FAR stronger in every way than the hate-filled thugs that were beating on them.

Don't be deceived. There is great strength and power in being a compassionate peace-maker. But that power lies in the clarity and righteousness of purpose. It takes faith and wisdom that's strong as steel.

Well, that rules me out then.

Arthur Brain

Compassion and a desire to neutralize strife are not weaknesses, despite how others may try to manipulate it. It doesn't require any strength to hurl around insults and anything intended to hurt. It requires a great strength of character to maintain a positive and altruistic approach to others even in the face of negativity.

Quincy

Opting out is what you have to do sometimes, as we're only human. Some people/situations are impossible and you can only offer so much to them. Just don't lose yourself :) . Me, I walk away from the lost causes and remember not to take it out on someone else, you can make it TM. You're a strong woman who's made it through a lot.

Doormat

What do you think?

It depends what a person thinks being a compassionate peacemaker entails.

What do you think it entails?