Christian Group Questions Palin's Pro-life Credentials

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
sarah-palin.jpg

Denver, Colorado, Nov. 16 -- A political 527 group, which claims responsibility for derailing Mitt Romney's presidential hopes in 2008 in the early-contest states of Iowa and South Carolina, is now targeting Sarah Palin. But for what?

ProlifeProfiles.com, created by a nationwide research team working for American Right To Life, is being launched today highlighting Sarah Palin's surprisingly extensive and unflattering record on abortion.

As Palin's "Going Rogue" is being published, Darrell Birkey, research director for American RTL Action, said that if rogue, "still means misleading and unreliable, then we should add Palin's entire book to her dossier at ProlifeProfiles.com."

In 2007 the nation's oldest "RTL" group, Colorado Right To Life, then a state affiliate of National RTL, issued a press release: "Rift Opens in Christian Right." Two and a half years later, that rift has become a chasm. Thirty-three states have followed Colorado's lead from last year and against the wishes of the old-guard pro-life industry are pursuing "Personhood" amendments and legislation, most working with Denver-based Personhood USA.

"When Romney exited the race," said Lolita Hanks, nurse practitioner and spokeswoman for American RTL, "we announced, 'No longer will National RTL be able to give fraudulent 100% pro-life ratings to Republican pro-choice candidates without being exposed nationally.'"

Opening that rift to the right, a coalition of pro-life organizations including Colorado RTL, Human Life International, Operation Rescue National / OSA, American Life League, and the founders of American RTL, published full-page newspaper ads addressed to Dr. James Dobson of Focus on the Family requesting help to restore truth and integrity to the pro-life movement. Pro-lifers can find reports on Dr. Dobson, Mitt Romney, Alan Keyes, George W. Bush, and many other leaders at ProlifeProfiles.com.

"Sarah Palin has presidential ambition, but she'll have to get serious about protecting the innocent," said Birkey, "because this time around, there's a personhood movement that will expose the pro-abortion record of pretend pro-life candidates."

American Right To Life
1535 Grant Street #303
Denver, CO 80203

1-888-888-ARTL
office@AmericanRTL.org

The Graphite

Devastating information!

Wait till people see Billy Graham's positions, and the positions of other Christian and conservative leaders. Heartbreaking and mind-blowing.

elohiym

"Sarah Palin has presidential ambition, but she'll have to get serious about protecting the innocent," said Birkey, "because this time around, there's a personhood movement that will expose the pro-abortion record of pretend pro-life candidates."

Campaign repentance will not suffice, but it's likely all we'll see. Why even waste time with candidates like that? :idunno:

WandererInFog

Campaign repentance will not suffice, but it's likely all we'll see.

It's unlikely in the extreme that you'll see that even. At the present time, the position staked out by PersonhoodUSA represents a fringe of a fringe. Right now the vast majority of those who label themselves pro-life are precisely in the vein of Palin and Bush and would not be shocked by anything listed on that ProLifeProfiles site.

Granite

Hall of Fame
Yep, read this yesterday. Congrats on the ink: you guys appear to be the only pro-life group in America dedicated to attacking others and accusing folks of not being pro-life enough.

DocJohnson

I hate to bring a wrench to this RTL/PUSA machine, but these organizations aren't really helping the cause much. All they're doing is strong-arming conservative politicians into voting for amendments to bills which help those bills get passed... even though those amendments can easily be removed at a later time, and then you're stuck with the bill becoming law.

Targeting Palin or Romney or anyone else is also not helping the cause. All this will do is divide the nation even further. We didn't get into this mess overnight. This has been a long-term, step-by-step process of Leftist ideology becoming bad law. Yes, I agree we need to elect pro-life candidates... but digging into their past and rubbing it in their faces is not the way to reverse this trend. Holding their feet to the fire after they're elected will.

elohiym

It's unlikely in the extreme that you'll see that even. At the present time, the position staked out by PersonhoodUSA represents a fringe of a fringe. Right now the vast majority of those who label themselves pro-life are precisely in the vein of Palin and Bush and would not be shocked by anything listed on that ProLifeProfiles site.

That vain of pro-life is really pro-abortion with exceptions.

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
All this will do is divide the nation even further.
That's true.

Now, you need to ask yourself... which side you are on?

Are you on the side that compromises? Or, are you on the side that doesn't compromise?

I will give you this... because of sin we have dug ourselves into a hole that doesn't always have easy answers. I understand your concern and I certainly wont demonize you for mentally exploring this topic.

I think one problem that my side has is that we tend to demonize anyone who doesn't think exactly as we do. The problem with that is... many people who don't share our beliefs haven't heard all the arguments yet (there was a time when I was ignorant of many arguments as well). I think we need to do a better job of dialoging without marginalizing.

DocJohnson

That's true.

Now, you need to ask yourself... which side you are on?

Are you on the side that compromises? Or, are you on the side that doesn't compromise?

I will give you this... because of sin we have dug ourselves into a hole that doesn't always have easy answers. I understand your concern and I certainly wont demonize you for mentally exploring this topic.

I think one problem that my side has is that we tend to demonize anyone who doesn't think exactly as we do. The problem with that is... many people who don't share our beliefs haven't heard all the arguments yet (there was a time when I was ignorant of many arguments as well). I think we need to do a better job of dialoging without marginalizing.

I absolutely hate abortion with a passion. I hate any action which prematurely takes a human life or the potential for human life.

That being said, those of us who think as you and I do cannot simply snap our fingers or wave a magic wand and expect abortion to become illegal again. It will require using politicians we may not agree 100% with by hounding them until they do something about it... incrementally if necessary.

See, the enemy has no problem doing what needs to be done in an incremental, lull-you-to-sleep fashion. We may have to play the same game in order to achieve the ultimate goal of saving millions of lives.

DocJohnson

And what tactics were these?

They used Saul Alinsky's rules...

Alinsky Rule #8: “Keep the pressure on… with different tactics and actions, and utilize all events of the period for your purpose.”

Alinsky Rule #10, “The major premise for tactics is the development of operations that will maintain a constant pressure that results in the reactions from the opposition that are essential for the success of the campaign.”

If you believe, as I do, that this is a war, it might also be a good idea to read Sun Tzu...

To know your Enemy, you must become your Enemy.

Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.

Victorious warriors win first and then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win.

Our side doesn't know how to fight. The other side has mastered the art of war. If we have any hope of righting the wrong, we must first learn how to fight... and choose our battles wisely.

WandererInFog

That vain of pro-life is really pro-abortion with exceptions.

And it represents the stance of the vast majority of those who call themselves pro-life. The Pro-Life stance advocated by PersonhoodUSA and ARTL is only representative of about 15% of the US population, as evidenced by polling down by both Pew and the Wall Street Journal earlier this year, whereas nearly 50% of the country considers themselves to be Pro-Life.

Lighthouse

The Dark Knight
Gold Subscriber
Hall of Fame
I hate to bring a wrench to this RTL/PUSA machine, but these organizations aren't really helping the cause much. All they're doing is strong-arming conservative politicians into voting for amendments to bills which help those bills get passed... even though those amendments can easily be removed at a later time, and then you're stuck with the bill becoming law.

Targeting Palin or Romney or anyone else is also not helping the cause. All this will do is divide the nation even further. We didn't get into this mess overnight. This has been a long-term, step-by-step process of Leftist ideology becoming bad law. Yes, I agree we need to elect pro-life candidates... but digging into their past and rubbing it in their faces is not the way to reverse this trend. Holding their feet to the fire after they're elected will.

<sup class="versenum" id="en-NKJV-23448">34</sup> “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NKJV-23449">35</sup> For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; <sup class="versenum" id="en-NKJV-23450">36</sup> and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’
-Matthew 10:34-36

DocJohnson

<sup class="versenum" id="en-NKJV-23448">34</sup> “Do not think that I came to bring peace on earth. I did not come to bring peace but a sword. <sup class="versenum" id="en-NKJV-23449">35</sup> For I have come to ‘set a man against his father, a daughter against her mother, and a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law’; <sup class="versenum" id="en-NKJV-23450">36</sup> and ‘a man’s enemies will be those of his own household.’
-Matthew 10:34-36

Do you really think quoting Bible verses is going to convince the Left that they need to make abortion illegal again?

Nathon Detroit

LIFETIME MEMBER
LIFETIME MEMBER
We may have to play the same game in order to achieve the ultimate goal of saving millions of lives.
We may. But shouldn't we also fight the battle head-on as well?

I guess I'm not one of those people who thinks you can only employ one strategy at a time. :)