Ebenz hits it out of the park.

glorydaz

I'd say this post is a home run. :thumb:

I was going to stay out of this discussion. But, people are honestly reading something in doser's, glorydaz's, and genuineoriginal's posts that just isn't there. None of them are saying, "The rape victim is totally responsible for being raped, so let's not blame the man/men who raped her." As a rape victim, even I can see that. They are saying that, in some cases, the victim needs to realize that her behavior choices can lead to rape. And, they are right. This takes absolutely no blame away from the rapist. He chose to rape her. He is guilty of that.

I can tell you that, in my own case, I made some bad decisions the night I was raped. I decided to drink heavily (to the point of forgetting where I was). I decided to get high. I decided to be the only woman hanging out with a group of men who were drinking and getting high. I'm not saying that it's my decision that I was raped. But, I do accept that if I hadn't acted the way I had, I probably wouldn't have been raped. My actions do nothing to take away the guilt of the guys who raped me. My realization of this came several years after I was raped. I changed the way I behaved. I no longer drink or do drugs. And, the only time I hang around a group of men is if I'm in a situation where there are the same number of women with them. I'm more vigilant when I'm in a mixed gender situation. In other words, I learned to become responsible for my own actions. Guess what. I've never been raped since.

Like doser, glorydaz, and genuineoriginal, I believe that our society is responsible for producing rapists and rape victims. We've raised our young men to believe that if it feels good they should do whatever they want. In our rush to show that women are equal and need no protection from anyone, we've raised our daughters to believe that no matter what they do, all they have to do is say no and no harm will come to them. We're taking away from women by saying that she holds no responsibility for her own behavior choices. We're taking away from women by saying that they're not capable of saying no if they are drunk or high. We take away from society, in general, because we mollycoddle our youth, excusing their bad behavior choices by saying, "All kids go through this. We may as well face it." As it stands today, the death penalty has no bite to it because we allow inmates to appeal for twenty years or more before they are executed for their crimes. And, we sanitize that by executing them in a clinical setting. And, now, we are making the cops the bad guys for doing their jobs. I hate to think of what this society will be like for my grandchildren, should I ever have any.

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
And that folks is a grand slam! :up:

Sherman

I identify as a Christian
Staff member
Administrator
LIFETIME MEMBER
Hall of Fame
I also nominated this grand slam for post of the year.

intojoy

BANNED
Banned
Sorry to hear this E.
Thank you for the testimony. I can only tell you that people are moved by stories like this, you can use your testimony to encourage other girls.

Think of David's response to Nathan's story.

You have my loyalties in Christ

PureX

I might not agree in some parts, it is still a good post. :up:
The problem is that this is not what they originally said. They originally flat our blamed rape on the victim, and then tried to run away from these statements over several threads by claiming that this wasn't what they meant. Even though they are STILL basically blaming the victims.

The real question to my mind is WHY?

Why do these people want so badly to lay some of the blame on the victims?

I sure wish someone could explain this to me!

Do they also think that if I walk through a rough part of town, and I get mugged, it's my fault?

Do they also think that if I am tricked by some scam artist into giving them money and they steal it, it's my fault?

I suspect that they do, and I can't understand why they do? Why do they want to blame the victims of crimes? Is it just that they want everyone to be at fault, somehow? Are they just so enamored with the fun of laying blame on others that they can't help themselves?

Why, why, why??? I don't get it.

Quetzal

The problem is that this is not what they originally said. They originally flat our blamed rape on the victim, and then tried to run away from these statements over several threads by claiming that this wasn't what they meant. Even though they are STILL basically blaming the victims.

Do they also think that if I walk through a rough part of town, and I get mugged, it's my fault?

Do they also think that if I am tricked by some scam artist into giving them money and they steal it, it's my fault?

I suspect that they do, and I can't understand why they do? Why do they want to blame the victims of crimes? Is it just that they want everyone to be at fault, somehow? Are they just so enamored with the fun of laying blame on others that they can't help themselves?

It is a very boot strap community. From what I have gathered, it seems the focus is on personal sustainability and anyone who falls short of that shows weakness.

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned

Good post purex

glorydaz

It's common sense. People must accept responsibility for their own bad behavior. If they don't, their conscience will become more and more seared until they can do more and more bad things. It's absolutely necessary in order to slow a society's plunge into total darkness. We're going there and people are unable to recognize wrong behavior when they see it. They make excuses for it and feel sorry for those who pay any price for their own wrong choices.

PureX

It's common sense. People must accept responsibility for their own bad behavior.
What bad behavior? And who are you to be passing judgment on everyone else's behavior? Have you never made a mistake? Have you never been caught up by circumstance? Are there no such things as mistakes or unforeseen circumstances in your world view? Or are you just claiming that there should NEVER BE? That we humans should always know in advance what will befall us if we do this or that? Because this seems to be what you're blaming people for … not knowing what they can't or don't know.
… people are unable to recognize wrong behavior when they see it. They make excuses for it and feel sorry for those who pay any price for their own wrong choices.
Ah! But YOU are able to recognize it, and so are able to pass judgment on them, for it.

Yet how can you hold them accountable when you already know they couldn't see it? That's both mean AND irrational!

bybee

What bad behavior? And who are you to be passing judgment on everyone else's behavior? Have you never made a mistake? Have you never been caught up by circumstance? Are there no such things as mistakes or unforeseen circumstances in your world view? Or are you just claiming that there should NEVER BE? That we humans should always know in advance what will befall us if we do this or that? Because this seems to be what you're blaming people for … not knowing what they can't or don't know.
Ah! But YOU are able to recognize it, and so are able to pass judgment on them, for it.

Yet how can you hold them accountable when you already know they couldn't see it? That's both mean AND irrational!

Spot on!:first:

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
so it appears that purex and bybee are arguing that a poor poor college women shouldn't be expected to know that acting like a slut, stripping and giving lap dances at frat parties, drinking to excess and taking drugs just might posssibly increase her risk of getting raped

because woman are inherently morons, apparently :idunno:

patrick jane

BANNED
Banned
so it appears that purex and bybee are arguing that a poor poor college women shouldn't be expected to know that acting like a slut, stripping and giving lap dances at frat parties, drinking to excess and taking drugs just might posssibly increase her risk of getting raped

because woman are inherently morons, apparently :idunno:

But real people in real life can handle their drugs and alcohol while maintaining common sense and decency right ? A girl getting naked and drunk with drunk men should be a normal and safe interaction.

ok doser

lifeguard at the cement pond
But real people in real life can handle their drugs and alcohol while maintaining common sense and decency right ? A girl getting naked and drunk with drunk men should be a normal and safe interaction.

:thumb:

but wait - if the drunken slut stripping for the drunken pigs gets raped, hasn't her "honor" been violated?